Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my coated headers today....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Using a Barnant 90 digital thermometer (type K thermocouple), I ran hot air* thru an uncoated header part I had and then ran the same test thru the similar coated part

Ambient temp= 75°

uncoated= 230° **

coated= 141° **

*industrial hot air gun, 1500watts, temp range 750° to 1000° F
**five minutes run time, measured ~.25" from surface

why the dark coating instead of silver, I guess I like my engine parts just like how I like my women smile.gif

seriously, the black coating was recommended by Specailized Performance Coating for my particular application (future turbo installation)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 13 2004, 02:58 PM)
why the dark coating instead of silver

hmmm, black radiates more heat tho idea.gif

sure looks nice!
Andy
Mueller
stub tubes, you can see the marks i made to identify them once coated
swood
What would happen if it was yellow? idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(swood @ May 13 2004, 03:03 PM)
What would happen if it was yellow? idea.gif

the exhaust gases would flow faster!

laugh.gif Andy
r_towle
Focus grasshopper....must finish car...must stop geting distracted....must finish car...must finish car.
Mueller
hmmmm, with the headers, I wouldn't have an exhaust smile.gif

i need these to finish off my car when I get the heads back on Friday.....going to put my rebuilt and fresh 2.0 heads on my 1.8 shortblock this weekend (as long I get the heads from the shop...)
r_towle
testing and typing take valuable garage time away....snnek out to the car now and put something together...if at work, bring the small parts to work to fix them on company time...get obsessed.....must finish car...go mike....finish car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.