Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coming up on an Anniversary
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
While doing some paperwork in preparation for a quick trip to Hershey this weekend.
I got a feeling I was forgetting something. Then it came to me.
April 25th was the day I bought my first and only 914. 38 years..
1973 seems like a real long time ago..
I was 18 and my dad was crazy enough to co-sign the loan.
Car is apart and waiting for an infusion of cash at some point.
But at least I still have it

I know there are others out there that have owned their cars longer and even some original owners..

But, Who holds the record ??

Click to view attachment
r_towle
awesome
Tom_T
Well I certainly don't hold the record, but like you - I still have my one & only 914 that I bought used 12/26/75 about 1.5 years after graduating from college & saving up some bucks (Dad couldn't co-sign with 5 younger sibs still to raise).

Like yours, mine sits awaiting TLC & my time to work on the resto & repairs! sad.gif

Here's my early 73 2.0 in process of my pulling off parts to get to shell for rust & the old 5/85 accident repairs that sent her to the stable (garage) for 26+ years.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Hey - at least I kept her & will get 'er back to "as new" eventually! biggrin.gif
PBC914
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 20 2011, 01:12 PM) *

While doing some paperwork in preparation for a quick trip to Hershey this weekend.
I got a feeling I was forgetting something. Then it came to me.
April 25th was the day I bought my first and only 914. 38 years..
1973 seems like a real long time ago..
I was 18 and my dad was crazy enough to co-sign the loan.
Car is apart and waiting for an infusion of cash at some point.
But at least I still have it

I know there are others out there that have owned their cars longer and even some original owners..

But, Who holds the record ??

Click to view attachment

Selling a 1968 Ford LTD and buying a 3 year old 914-6-Cost-$4,895.00.
Buying a 914-6 at age 18...priceless. I am nicely jealous.
gandalf_025

Truth be told.. The 1968 LTD was my dads idea. I brought him to a Dealership that had taken in trade a 1968 Vette that someone put a 427 in It needed a clutch and rear tires.. But I wanted it.
He was having no part of the Vette and saw the LTD sitting there. I was "gently guided" to the LTD.. I was 17..
Then I got the idea to buy a motorcycle.. Parents told me to buy another car instead.
I said ..Fine... And my dad knew the owner of the Porsche Dealership. The 914 had just been traded because the 2 year warranty was about to expire.. I saw it,
heard it run and drove it.. It was all over for me..

PBC914
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 20 2011, 01:44 PM) *

Truth be told.. The 1968 LTD was my dads idea. I brought him to a Dealership that had taken in trade a 1968 Vette that someone put a 427 in It needed a clutch and rear tires.. But I wanted it.
He was having no part of the Vette and saw the LTD sitting there. I was "gently guided" to the LTD.. I was 17..
Then I got the idea to buy a motorcycle.. Parents told me to buy another car instead.
I said ..Fine... And my dad knew the owner of the Porsche Dealership. The 914 had just been traded because the 2 year warranty was about to expire.. I saw it,
heard it run and drove it.. It was all over for me..

Interesting story. I'm still jealous in a good way! It's good to have a dad who knows the owner of a Porsche dealership!
Drums66
.....cool man!....my 1st....just a faded paint job memory? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
gandalf_025
The Porsche Dealership also owned a VW Dealership nearby.
At times I took the car to the VW Shop for Service instead
of the Porsche Dealership.
The Porsche People were a little too Full of themselves.

Check out the Prices for Service

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Very cool stuff!
Joe Owensby
You have me beat by about 1 month. I bought mine new in May of 1973. After a restoration, I now drive it almost every day. JoeO
watsonrx13
Very cool... aktion035.gif

Do you have any pics of the car when you bought it?

--Rob
gandalf_025
99% of my pictures from those days are slides that I haven't
gotten around to scan yet.
I do have one that a friend took..
Please disregard the idiot standing next to the car...
Like I said, it was a long time ago.

here is more of a then and now, Oh yeah.. I owned the MG in front of
it too

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.