Cool! driving.gif

Keep 'em coming.

Figure out what that rattling is and kill it! ar15.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 21 2011, 12:39 PM) *

Cool! driving.gif

Keep 'em coming.

Figure out what that rattling is and kill it! ar15.gif

It has to be a sound setting on the GoPro. I have been snooping the GoPro site to see how to change it. No such ambient sound is occuring.

I will keep posting them. I have another event on 5/1 and it would be cool to be using the new engine... Not going to happen, I know. But it WOULD be cool...
ConeDodger
Found it. GoPro said to check the mounting location. I mounted it on that existing camera mount on the harness bar. The camera tripod screw is the noise... I keeled it ar15.gif
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 20 2011, 12:00 PM) *

The clarity in that video is great.

Is there a way to place the camera further foward so your seeing more windshield and the course.

I guess if you want to see the driver and the work going on it has to be pretty far back.
ConeDodger
I would have to figure something out and fabricate it Randal. The camera itself is cheap. $225 through a group buy here. If they had another group buy I would buy a second one and point it backwards or side mount it to point at one of the front wheels. Then turn my kid loose with an editing program... I have it mounted on an IOPort video camera mount attached to the harness bar just over my right shoulder...

If you have ideas let me know...
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 21 2011, 06:14 PM) *

I would have to figure something out and fabricate it Randal. The camera itself is cheap. $225 through a group buy here. If they had another group buy I would buy a second one and point it backwards or side mount it to point at one of the front wheels. Then turn my kid loose with an editing program... I have it mounted on an IOPort video camera mount attached to the harness bar just over my right shoulder...

No question it's a challenge to find something reasonable that will work well from inside a car. Time for some research. idea.gif
mskala
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 21 2011, 09:14 PM) *

Multi-camera solutions have been around for years. I built many of them. But
they are not super cheap. One thing I found out from using them for my car
is that one of the bigger problems is when the field of view is half sunlit and
half inside the car not directly lit. The bullet cams, and probably anything
automatic, have problems with this. If you use two cameras, and if they have
about a 90 degree lens like I have, you can put one near the rear-view
mirror and the other mounted to the shoulder bolt of the passenger seat
belt area. One is all bright, the other is mostly dark, and I can see
everything that's going on even with footwork.Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I don't care about one view being light and the other one dark. I doubt I am going to get an Academy Award anyway blink.gif
mskala
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2011, 01:40 AM) *

I don't care about one view being light and the other one dark. I doubt I am going to get an Academy Award anyway blink.gif

That's not what I'm saying at all. The point is that for cameras with auto
white balance and such, that if you point it at something that's about half
very bright and half very dark, then you risk getting either a completely
washed out track view, or a solid black inside the car, or worse, flipping
back and forth often during the recording.
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 21 2011, 10:40 PM) *

Maybe you could (get an Academy Award) if you figured out a song to sing during a run. cheer.gif

Anyway, back to the topic, guess the lightning is one issue I don't have to worry about.

No top, no windshield, no door glass and no front cage bars that you can see.
PeeGreen 914
I could see you were doing a good job looking forward. There was two cones I noticed your eye get fixated on but overall you looked ahead. I think that everyone has a cone or two that draws the attension away at times.

Nice work Rob beerchug.gif
McMark
GoPro has a suction cup mount that might work.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 22 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Shoot. Mark is right. The GoPro comes with a bunch of mounts including the suction cup mount. I was fooling with it before the event and needed a certain screwdriver that I couldn't find so I just went with the other peel and stick mount. The suction cup will move it about six inches off the back window and should improve course visibility without taking away the drivers hand work.
Another autocross friend, Bill Madamba (former national champion) turned me on to a keychain HD camera from China that is only $40 or so. I have used it a few times and the picture is great. I think I could point one toward me and heck, Bill has even attached one to his inner fender so he can see his suspension...
McMark
I don't know how flexible the suction cup mount is, but perhaps you could even mount it on the inside of the front windshield and twist it around to point out the front.
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2011, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 22 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Shoot. Mark is right. The GoPro comes with a bunch of mounts including the suction cup mount. I was fooling with it before the event and needed a certain screwdriver that I couldn't find so I just went with the other peel and stick mount. The suction cup will move it about six inches off the back window and should improve course visibility without taking away the drivers hand work.
Another autocross friend, Bill Madamba (former national champion) turned me on to a keychain HD camera from China that is only $40 or so. I have used it a few times and the picture is great. I think I could point one toward me and heck, Bill has even attached one to his inner fender so he can see his suspension...

Where do you find a keychain HD camera on the web?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 23 2011, 06:01 AM) *

Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-720P-Car-KeyChain-C...=item230fae9e3d

Don't let the cheesy look fool you, they are indeed cheaply made but the output is pretty good. Go to YouTube and look up Silverstreak1971. He edits back and forth between a fairly expensive digital video camera and one of these spy cameras. Bill has even zip tied these cameras to his undercarraige to video his suspension in action.
J P Stein
Nice course....Kinda looks like Mather with the concrete/asphalt change.
And yes, a nice smooth Saturday drive. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 23 2011, 07:12 AM) *

Ebay

Don't let the cheesy look fool you, they are indeed cheaply made but the output is pretty good. Go to YouTube and look up Silverstreak1971. He edits back and forth between a fairly expensive digital video camera and one of these spy cameras. Bill has even zip tied these cameras to his undercarraige to video his suspension in action.

Silverstreak1971 videos are really good and that Datsun handles really well.

I ended up selling a perfect one, way back when, because the car handled so badly. Ok up to a point, but then you never knew what it was going to do.

Couldn't tell where he was using the expensive camera and not, but I'll have to go look some more.

Thanks for the information.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 23 2011, 07:50 AM) *

Nice course....Kinda looks like Mather with the concrete/asphalt change.
And yes, a nice smooth Saturday drive. biggrin.gif

It is Mather JP. SCCA got it back for 4 events a year. Well, 2 weekends. PCA got another part of the airport tarmac for another couple events a year... One of them is coming up May 1st... I remember when you brought the shitbox down for a Mather event about 4-5 years ago.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 23 2011, 07:54 AM) *

Ebay

I ended up selling a perfect one, way back when, because the car handled so badly. Ok up to a point, but then you never knew what it was going to do.

Couldn't tell where he was using the expensive camera and not, but I'll have to go look some more.

That car is driven by and belongs to Bill Madamba. He is a former SCCA National Champion. 2.8 with big valve 2.4 head and triple Mikuni carbs. The suspension and brakes contain a lot of Arizona Z Car custom pieces. My 240Z is pretty much the same setup as Bill's but mine is more esthetically refined. (could also be concours). Bill is such a good driver he harasses cars with triple his HP on the track... He often tosses me the keys and lets me drive it for a week at a time. His ulterior motive is to get me to finish and start driving my Z... It is pretty much done but I am caught up in getting the new Raby kit motor in place so it takes a bunch of my time...
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 23 2011, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 23 2011, 07:54 AM) *

Ebay

That car is driven by and belongs to Bill Madamba. He is a former SCCA National Champion. 2.8 with big valve 2.4 head and triple Mikuni carbs. The suspension and brakes contain a lot of Arizona Z Car custom pieces. My 240Z is pretty much the same setup as Bill's but mine is more esthetically refined. (could also be concours). Bill is such a good driver he harasses cars with triple his HP on the track... He often tosses me the keys and lets me drive it for a week at a time. His ulterior motive is to get me to finish and start driving my Z... It is pretty much done but I am caught up in getting the new Raby kit motor in place so it takes a bunch of my time...

Show us some pictures of your Z. I especially liked the one up at Hoopa that pretty much had Vette suspension underneath. Fast and it handled.

My motor, which was specified by Raby, is now back in the car, running and awaiting a dyno run to finish the mapping above 6100. Can't wait to see how it does.

Wondering where it will roll over?
ConeDodger
First one is Bill's at a Family Reunion event. Second one is mine... I have restored the interior and have different wheels on it since this. I also removed the rear spoiler. It was self-destructing anyway...
ConeDodger
My 2432 Raby Kit is done and on the test stand at McMark's awaiting the completion of the EFI harness from Bowlsby. Here is a dyno sheet from Jake's build of the same motor...

He only shows the peak but I would guess it tips over from there. I plan a redline of 6200...
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 23 2011, 11:45 AM) *

My 2432 Raby Kit is done and on the test stand at McMark's awaiting the completion of the EFI harness from Bowlsby. Here is a dyno sheet from Jake's build of the same motor...

He only shows the peak but I would guess it tips over from there. I plan a redline of 6200...

That motor looks very strong. Impressive.

Are you going to use a chassis dyno to develop your fuel map?

Which ECU are you using?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 23 2011, 10:59 AM) *

That motor looks very strong. Impressive.

Are you going to use a chassis dyno to develop your fuel map?

Which ECU are you using?

I am using SDS so I will either me or McMark will tune on the fly from the passenger seat. Probably McMark as people are a little shy about driving my car these days blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
I'm not biggrin.gif

Just throwing that out there beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 23 2011, 08:25 PM) *

I'm not biggrin.gif

Just throwing that out there beerchug.gif

Sorry Jon, I'm hoping to win COTM some day. If you've driven it, well... sad.gif
PeeGreen 914
Oh hey dry.gif

You need a nice picture of it without a garbagecan visible first poke.gif
ottox914
Not to totally steal your thread, but another bit of autox video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKB7-Flcf_g

I have to apologise in advance for the slow corner exit speeds- I had a flat spot in the SDS tune, and the motor would stumble badly if I got on it to fast to soon. Of course, on the way home, I made about 2 clicks on the programer and it was fixed. But that didn't help me much at the event earlier that day...
ConeDodger
Nice Dave! I love the sound of the BOV on turbos. Almost worth the price of admission biggrin.gif

Damn! Your slalom was expensive!!! Miss it and take out 6 cones or so!
grantsfo

Id be curious to see SAE corrected rear wheel dyno run on the big bore motors. I havent seen many posted over the years. I wonder how much driveline saps from the car and would like to see average of SAE corrected dyno runs.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.