Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My drivers door glass was safety glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Well I just got home from a not so good day. First off, I drive the car one block from the house, and I realize that I didnt torque down the wheels (one wheel was er... loose) So I parked it after driving half way, for fear of inflicting more damage than I had already caused. So I called home and had my mom bring me the tq wrench, after some struggle, I got the wheel up, screwed the nuts all the way in, and tq'ed all the wheels down. (only rear where loose).

So then my mom follows me to school, for fear if I inflicted damage. Well I just adjusted the valves yesterday, and the car runs like crap. No power (its at least a flat curve now.. I dont have my 3- 4.5 range hp, its now.. 1-5k but slower) Oh and hey, ITS BACKFIRING LIKE NO TOMORROW!!! I am royaly pissed at this point, and I have thus far given up on that piece of junk engine.

So I get to school, and I am really angry at the car. One of my friends is waiting for me, and another is gathering her stuff. So, what else do I do when I get mad? I make loud noises by banging things.. So my stupid me, I slam my door, the window is down, and the top is off, with a very big "BANG" my window litterally blows apart (from inside the door) and a cloud of glass erupts from the door. Suprisingly it is safety glass.

Therefore I didnt have much of a good day.

Anyone have any idea's on my backfiring problem? Or why it would do that after I adjusted my valves to 6 exhaust and 5 intake?(about)

Andrew

givemebeer.gif
Please?
TheCabinetmaker
I know this is not your first time to adjust the valves, but it really does sound like you did it wrong. Don't ask me how I know.
Andyrew
I just dont see how I did it wrong. I did it just how the PP article said so. Set each valve intake and exhaust when the piston was on TDC..

I dono.
TheCabinetmaker
I always check and recheck. I have done it wrong.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 13 2004, 04:15 PM)
Set each valve intake and exhaust when the piston was on TDC..

the right TDC i assume ...
lapuwali
Hm. Perhaps it's not the valves at all, but rather a loose vacuum fitting (perhaps something that was knocked loose while doing the adjusting)? That would cause the symptoms you're describing, but I can't think of how a misadjusted valve would do that unless it's WAY off.
Andyrew
I accidently pulled off the oil vent hose, but I got that fixed before I drove it.

TDC per cylander, yes Andy. (I doubt it would drive if I did it for that one cylander.. lol)

Andrew
David_S
the right TDC i assume ...

I dunno, but I wonder if andy meant TDC "compression stroke" for that cylinder and not TDC "between exhaust and intake strokes". I know I have seen it many times, where I work, where some of the guys that I work with will set valves with the piston at TDC and the thing will not run right! Then they recheck it and the valves are WAY off. They keep forgetting that four stroke engines have 2 TDC's per cylinder!
Just a suggestion.......

DavidS
SirAndy
QUOTE(David_S @ May 13 2004, 06:56 PM)
I dunno, but I wonder if andy meant TDC "compression stroke" for that cylinder and not TDC "between exhaust and intake strokes".

that's exactly what i meant! wink.gif

you can have the piston at TDC and still be on the wrong stroke and then everything is completely OFF ...

wink.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Andyrew,
So basically: Watch the intake valve as you rotate the engine. When it depresses the next TDC is the combustion one that you need (assuming you are rotating the engine in the right direction). I had the same thing happen to me...and it did what you are talking about.

Do you need a new(used) door window?
Andyrew
Naa, thats ok, I have a supply of parts (parts cars avalible to me)

Ok, this is how I did it.

I found TDC for the engine, and the dizzy was pointed to the 1st cylander spark wire. Then I adjusted the valves for both intake and exhaust, rotated the engine 90 deg watching the dizzy, till it hit 2nd cylander fire. Same with 3rd and 4th.

I went according to Pelican parts article.

Did I do something wrong?

(btw, glass is sharp, bleeding slightly, ouch! gona put on gloves now..)

Thanks
Andrew
Andyrew
Basically when the spark went to the cylander, thats when i adjusted..

trying to make it clear..

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 13 2004, 09:23 PM)
Then I adjusted the valves for both intake and exhaust, rotated the engine 90 deg watching the dizzy, till it hit 2nd cylander fire. Same with 3rd and 4th.

Did I do something wrong?

i hope you didn't do it in that order as your engine fireing order is NOT 1-2-3-4 ...

it's 1-4-3-2 !

Andy
Andyrew
That might be why.

Im going to check that one out right about..

now.

thanks andy, I was actually thinking about that when I posted.

Andrew
Andyrew
Ahh, but you see, I adjusted them in reverse order (turned the engine in reverse order)..

Ie instead of from 1-432 I went from 1-234 ie reverse.

I dont think that should make a diff should it?

Andrew
JWest
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 13 2004, 11:23 PM)
rotated the engine 90 deg watching the dizzy

Also, you need to rotate the engine 180 degress (the rotor moves 1/2 that, or 90 degrees) to get to the next cylinder.

FYI, cars have been using tempered glass since the late '50s, some even earlier than that, I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.