Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs 5 lug wheel pics please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
can someone post a pic up close and personal for me please.
I just purchased a set of 5 lug 911 wheels and they are painted black.

I would like to properly uncover the paddles and polish them.
I need to see the line...where does the polished part stop?

I think its a little bit over the side of the paddle, but I dont know.

Rich
drgchapman
Sounds like you have 16" Fuchs. They came factory painted entirely black on the paddles. The 15's came with the polished paddles. I had a set of 16's finished like 15's at Harvey Weideman's last year.

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 20 2011, 05:00 PM) *

I think its a little bit over the side of the paddle, but I dont know.

You have a little bit of leeway for 'personal expression' because of the way they were painted at the factory - dipped in a vat of black paint. (and now you know why there are unpainted sections on the underside of the petals - air pockets...)

So depending on how much paint was in the tank at any given moment, you might see a little variation on the line of demarkation.
MDG
These are mine Harvey Weidman did in the RSR finish; couple of angles showing how it wraps around. I'd assume Harvey is pretty accurate to the factory. These are 16x8s. I'll check my 15x6s to see if it's much different and post a pic if it is.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MDG
Here you go; another angle of a 16x8 from Harvey and a REALLY dirty original finish 15x6

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmill
Love the RSR finish. Is the silver just bead blased or is it painted?
MDG
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 20 2011, 07:29 PM) *

Love the RSR finish. Is the silver just bead blased or is it painted?

On the RSR finish? It's anodized except for the outer edge of the lip which is polished.
carr914
My Homebrew RSR's

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 21 2011, 06:50 AM) *

please describe "home brew"

And, do you still have these wheels?

Rich
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 21 2011, 08:28 AM) *

He already did a step-by-step thread on the process.
It should have been nominated for Classic status but it might still be in the Garage section...
Spoke
I polished more of my 6" than some others show. I did this to match the 7" polished area.

I should have left more painted area between the 6" paddles and the polished rim like the 7" is done.
mskala
The "homebrew RSR finish" is a thread on the 911 pelican board. If you don't
have any anodizing left to polish or don't want to polish, somebody came up
with particular rattle-cans you can buy at home depot to replicate this.

I recently got some 16x6 (well, just the centers anyway) which I'm changing
from solid white (!) back to close to the anodized+black background look. I
am not a fan of the RSR frosted petals, so I found a silver color that looks
pretty good and is not 'metallic'. Pics later tonight.
r_towle
QUOTE(mskala @ Apr 21 2011, 08:59 AM) *

The "homebrew RSR finish" is a thread on the 911 pelican board. If you don't
have any anodizing left to polish or don't want to polish, somebody came up
with particular rattle-cans you can buy at home depot to replicate this.

I recently got some 16x6 (well, just the centers anyway) which I'm changing
from solid white (!) back to close to the anodized+black background look. I
am not a fan of the RSR frosted petals, so I found a silver color that looks
pretty good and is not 'metallic'. Pics later tonight.

Mark,
I am specifically interested in where you are cutting the line on the side...it looks tapered if measured from the lower flat area...

Any measurements?

Rich
Zimms
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 21 2011, 08:28 AM) *

TC's thread about RSR wheel refinishing
carr914
Thanks Zimms for looking that up.

Rich, I sold the 9"s on the Roller that is leaving for Minnesota anyday now.
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 21 2011, 10:53 AM) *

Thanks Zimms for looking that up.

Rich, I sold the 9"s on the Roller that is leaving for Minnesota anyday now.

just need some measurements...
I have not recieved the wheels yet (all black) and it may be very obvious once I see them, but in looking at these pictures, its not obvious where you put that tape to go from silver/polished to black.

Rich
Scott S
Are your wheels real fuchs?

On a side note, the paint line is also how you can spot the older 15" fuchs replicas. The fake wheels are not even close to being as smooth at the transision from the paddle to the mounting surface. Unless you go at them with a dremel/grinder to smooth out the rough casting (something I do not reccommend), the paint line on the older replicas is much higher up on the paddle. Ask me how I know dry.gif

The good part of this is that every replica fuchs I have worked with was simply painted, and was very easy to strip.

TC - everytime I see those pics I am blown away. Those came out so great. How durable/easy to clean have they been?
r_towle
replicas....and what you are telling me is I need to get my dremel fired up to fix a notch I will see when they arrive...no problem.

Rich
mskala

Mark,
I am specifically interested in where you are cutting the line on the side...it looks tapered if measured from the lower flat area...

Any measurements?

Rich

I will measure even the real fuchs I have, which I doubt were ever redone.
carr914
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Apr 21 2011, 12:18 PM) *

On a side note, the paint line is also how you can spot the older 15" fuchs replicas. The fake wheels are not even close to being as smooth at the transision from the paddle to the mounting surface. Unless you go at them with a dremel/grinder to smooth out the rough casting (something I do not reccommend), the paint line on the older replicas is much higher up on the paddle. Ask me how I know dry.gif

The good part of this is that every replica fuchs I have worked with was simply painted, and was very easy to strip.

TC - everytime I see those pics I am blown away. Those came out so great. How durable/easy to clean have they been?

The 9"s were Fake so I used the ridgeline as my Tape line.

Very Durable, Ok to clean. In retrospect, I would have Clearcoated them as the Matte Nickel (Silver) was kind of rough/porous.

RJMII
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 21 2011, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Apr 21 2011, 12:18 PM) *

The 9"s were Fake so I used the ridgeline as my Tape line.

Very Durable, Ok to clean. In retrospect, I would have Clearcoated them as the Matte Nickel (Silver) was kind of rough/porous.

[hijack]

Thanks for that tip! I'm going to follow your instructional thread this summer on my 16x7's; very good write up! I'm also going to try it out on my little Fuchs. smile.gif Thanks again for the writeup!

[/hijack]
Socalandy
type.gif
13b914
I just finished refinishing these with the economy RSR style finish off of the pelican site. They turned out better than expectedClick to view attachment
mskala
QUOTE(mskala @ Apr 21 2011, 01:23 PM) *

Mark,

Any measurements?

Rich

I guess there is no real way to measure it. I was trying to tape so that the
line is parallel to the recessed (black) parts, and about half way between
the top surface where the center cap rests and the lug hole.

Anyway, this is a poor indoor picture of mine using Honda "Arctic Silver CC"
NH79M rustoleum from auto-zone.
Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 22 2011, 03:57 AM) *

type.gif

Beautiful !! Do they have a clear coat on them?
r_towle
QUOTE(mskala @ Apr 21 2011, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Apr 21 2011, 01:23 PM) *

Mark,

Any measurements?

Rich

I guess there is no real way to measure it. I was trying to tape so that the
line is parallel to the recessed (black) parts, and about half way between
the top surface where the center cap rests and the lug hole.

Anyway, this is a poor indoor picture of mine using Honda "Arctic Silver CC"
NH79M rustoleum from auto-zone.
Click to view attachment

thanks, now I am even more confused...lol
I guess the wheels may have some hint of what to do...we shall see when they get here.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.