Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Lines and were to buy them
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
I am still working on my front end, and almost ready to put it all together, alas, I am waiting for brake lines from Auto Atlanta. That was a month ago and now when I call to check on the order I just get their comment that they will ship them when they are ready..... sad.gif

I should have checked with you guys rather than go the AA route, but I am still new to all this. I now need the back brake lines also. Where is a fellow to go ? Also, aside from trying an EZ-Out on a broken bleeded valve, is there something else to try before I go and purchase new rear calipers ?

Summer is soon here and my baby is still on jack stands.
F4i
Do you need flex or rigid lines? The rigid ones are usually available at FLAPS.
dralf
I need the ridgid ones ? And where is FLAPS ? confused24.gif
Jeff Bonanno
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store
Rusty
FLAPS = Friendly local auto parts store.

They sell the rigid lines by length. For the price of preformed lines, you can probably get a few generic lines and a tube bender set and do the job yourself.

Trying to bend hard lines without the tool is an exercize in futility (for me, at least). However, for really tight bends close to the end of the hard line, I use the ridge of a beer bottle.

-Rusty smoke.gif
dralf
beer.gif

Thanks for the tips, It may come to doing that myself, I definately know where to find empty beer bottles. As to FLAPS, I live in Ohio and it seems they all think I have a "Porch".
Rusty
Don't say you need them for a Porch/Porsha/Porshay... measure what you have and just tell them you need a metric brake line X inches long.

-Rusty smoke.gif
lmcchesney
Dralf,
It seems you may be new to the board, and if so, welcome. Using this board will help prevent the common mistakes and is also a great source of where to obtain parts. When I first started with my 914, I too was attracted to AA. It may be benifical to do a search on AA to guide your parts source. Most FLAPS really do not know about the 914 and believe cross linking a 911 with a VW will get the right answer. I live in Toledo and I have seen someone on the board who lives in Dayton and another in Cinci area as well. Don"t hesitate to contact us if we can be of help.
Solid break lines are nothing magical. Measure with a string the distance you need. Front 6" and rear 12". The line is a 3/16". The front make a tight "S"shape bend and the rear just curves arround the trailing arm. You can purchase a "tube bender" that will accomidate 1/8" to 3/8" to act as a mandrel to form the lilnes. Using local sources will result in significant savings and increased time.
L. McChesney
lamcchesney@netzero.net
F4i
Sorry dralf I asked you a question and forgot to look here for a while. Thanks to the other board members for taking up the slack. It is called a bubble flare or iso flare. Napa or somebody should carry them near you. Welcome to the board and good luck!
dralf
wavey.gif
Thanks guys,
I will see about canceling my AA order, ( suspect it is laying on some clerks desk ) and try it myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.