Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help !!! I am stuck...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wheelo
914 Guru's... Please help, I replaced all my old fuel lines and relocated FI- fuel pump under gas tank. As PO had all wrong with filter on wrong side of pump etc. Everything was running great before, just doing restro and preventitive maint.
Well, turned the key after putting all together, no running fuel pump! Took a look at wiring at plug (MPC) and found bad splice on brown- ground wire. Repaired splice, should work right? wrong... still no juice to plug/wire.. I am starting to think that the fuel pump relay went-bad. All the relays look the same to me, Is there a fuse that I am overlooking?
All fuses in the panel are okay, Please advise...
I am stuck !! and WCC is coming soon! I will be eternally grateful... pray.gif
TheCabinetmaker
did you check the fuse on the relay board?
r_towle
The fuel pump relay and fuse are on the relay board in the engine compartment right behind the driver.

All of the relays in there are the same, so swapping them till you get the whirring sound is fine for testing.
You might have just blown the fuse...

Rich
wheelo
I see two fuses on the relay-board both are good. Is there another one ? somewhere.... The manual speaks of a 8A fuse at relay terminal 35/51. I am confused... M.M.
SirAndy
you only need the second fuse, 25Amps. marked green here ...
the relay is also marked green, exchange it with one of your headlight relays (if the headlights still go up/down).

make sure the relay pins and the socket is clean, if not clean up first (with key turned OFF) ...
SirAndy
from there power goes to pin 13 (black/red wire) on the connector right next to the firewall. you can take the top cover off the connector and see if the pin got 12V when you first turn on the key.

also note that the FI brain will turn off the fuel pump unless the car is started! so make sure everything is hooked up right on the other end, from the relay board to the FI brain and all grounds are good there.

you'll also need the tranny ground strap connected for this to work wink.gif
Andy
SirAndy
also, do a search here on the bbs, we just went through this exact same thing like 2 or 3 weeks ago ...

Andy
wheelo
Thanks Sir Andy... viel danke..for the help and schematics... I will get-on this first thing in the AM!By the way I have 25A fuses in both slots on relay board. Your drawing shows 8A in first (forward) and 25A in second. Should I change-out first fuse to 8A?
appreciate the responce, I owe you a cold-one beer.gif
Dr Evil
I think that the otherone was for an option not installed on every car I have seen. Here is my rough schematic for your troubleshooting pleasure.
SirAndy
QUOTE(wheelo @ May 13 2004, 10:59 PM)
By the way I have 25A fuses in both slots on relay board. Your drawing shows 8A in first (forward) and 25A in second. Should I change-out first fuse to 8A?
appreciate the responce, I owe you a cold-one beer.gif

from what i can tell by looking at the wire diagram, the first fuse (8 Amp) is not used at all, it routes 12V (which it get's from Fuse 8 in the main block) to Pin 9 on the engine harness connector on the relay board and i can't find any drawings that show anything ever beeing hooked up to pin 9 ...

soooo you should be able to leave that fuse out.

which means, you should leave the 25Amp in there so you always have a spare with you! wink.gif
Andy
wheelo
Thanks Guys... the support really helps.. I can't stand having my car in the garage, knowing that she is temp. out - of- commission!
pbanders
I have a comprehensive flow chart on my web page for debugging the FI fuel pump system.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.