Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I have installed the new engine in my newest 914.

The engine is carbed and and the engine bay wiring in a real mess with many cut wires and nothing is labeled.

I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction as to what electrical connections I need connected to the motor/trans/starter to get this thing running.

BTW I dont have another running 914 to reference the wires to.
r_towle
can you tell which wires go to the starter???

If not, I will have to check the manual to refer to the right wires...
otherwise, you need:
Keyed power to the coil positive side.
Keyed power to your fuel pump

Thats it for a carbed car, this is providing you have the wires to the starter and alternator hooked up.

Rich
echocanyons
Is there three wires to the starter two on the top post and one spade connector?

I got the alternator squared away, I think.

I still have to wire the carb fuel pump.

Do the coil/dizzy wires come from the main wiring harness are there three or two?

Is there a spade connector that attaches to the top of the engine block?

There are two bullet connectors to the side of the trans to the backup switch, I cant seem to locate where these would come from.
r_towle
Is there three wires to the starter two on the top post and one spade connector?

Yes

Do the coil/dizzy wires come from the main wiring harness are there three or two?

Yes, from main harness
One is needed to provide power, the other (I think) is either to the computer for the FI, or to the tach...
Look at the tach and follow the colors back to the engine bay.

Is there a spade connector that attaches to the top of the engine block?

Well, to the right (looking from the passenger side of the engine bay) of the distributor is the temp sensor, that is only needed for the FI system, or for a guage if so equipped.

There are two bullet connectors to the side of the trans to the backup switch, I cant seem to locate where these would come from.

No clue where they come from, part of the harness.

Dont forget the ground strap on the tranny.

Rich
skline
Maybe I can help here, the wires for the coil come from the block connector on the relay board. They should be black with red (heavy) black with blue or purple (thin) and the white wire. The heavy black one is 12v to the positive side of the coil, the thin black goes for the tach on the negative side along with the wire from the distributor, the white wire was for FI so you dont need it anymore. There is a brown wire that goes to teh ground terminal on the block. There should be a heavy red wire in the harness that runs back to the trans for the starter and a yellow wire with a spade goes to the starter terminal along with the positive terminal from the battery. There should be two wires with bullet connectors and they go to the backup switch on the trans. That should get you running assuming I didnt forget anything. Good luck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(echocanyons @ May 13 2004, 07:36 PM)
II still have to wire the carb fuel pump.

use the existing wires! i'm not sure if you will get constant 12V with the FI brain removed, but if not, just jump the 2 pins where the FI-Relay once was and voila:

no harness hack-job needed!
Andy
echocanyons
I was wondering if that would work.

How do I jump the pins? A bridging wire?
SirAndy
QUOTE(echocanyons @ May 14 2004, 04:32 AM)
I was wondering if that would work.
How do I jump the pins? A bridging wire?

yepp, just use a old relay as a cover, the tops come off easy, you know.
or simply make a jumper wire. either way, it'll work just fine.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.