Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drive flange seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
is it posible to replace the seals behind my drive flanges without disassembling the transmission? is it as simple as removing the cv and removing the bolt in the center of the drive flange. prying out the old seal and tapping a new one in? or is there more to it. i am not real trans savy.
silver74insocal
hey doug, i did a search and found this is true...and most people replace the front main seal at the same time. i plan on doing this in the near future...pelican is currentlty out of stock on these and wants 20 bux a piece for the oem ones WTF.gif
1988Hawk
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Apr 20 2011, 11:24 PM) *

is it posible to replace the seals behind my drive flanges without disassembling the transmission? is it as simple as removing the cv and removing the bolt in the center of the drive flange. prying out the old seal and tapping a new one in? or is there more to it. i am not real trans savy.

That's how it's done.
Spoke
I recently replaced the drive flange seal on my 95 A6.

Audi wanted $35 for the seal but had to order it. A friend steered me to a local pump, drive, and seal distributor.

I took the flange and old seal in and the guy measured it with his calipers, walked to his stockroom and sold me a seal for $7.

He went on to mention that most auto manufacturers do not make their own seals and usually use common seals for their trans and motors. What they do then is package the standard seals in Audi or GM or Ford packages, put them in their stock and charge you a lot more for them.
tradisrad
I replaced mine w/o pulling the trans. Disconnect CV, remove flange & seal, install new part and reassemble. Dont forget new washers on the bolts.
euro911
You should install new CV-to-flange gaskets in addition to the CV bolts and washers.

I bought several 901 tranny output seals last year, ended up not needing them ... If you need a pair, I still have them - $12. shipped ...

999-113-183-40-M30

SirAndy
QUOTE(1988Hawk @ Apr 21 2011, 04:07 AM) *

That's how it's done.

agree.gif

Good time to change the oil and clean off some of the crud ... biggrin.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 21 2011, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(1988Hawk @ Apr 21 2011, 04:07 AM) *

That's how it's done.

agree.gif

Good time to change the oil and clean off some of the crud ... biggrin.gif

thanks for all the replies everybody.

sir andy, i already changed the gearbox oil and cleaned it spotless. that is how i was able to pinpoint the leak to the drive flanges....

and the shifter housing seal

and the input shaft seal

and the rear main seal

and the speedo drive seal

oh ya.....i think my oil cooler seals are leaking.

i think the only thing on my car that doesnt leak is the pocket that the headlight rests in. it has been full of water for who knows how long....but it didnt leak headbang.gif
pilothyer
Just a point to consider.......how much fluid do you suppose will come running out when you pull the flange out of the box ??......I ask because I don't believe I have ever changed the seals with the transaxle full of fluid.
sww914
A few drops. The level should be below the seals.
euro911
Thought draining the trans was a given, but good of you to post, don't want no surprises
McMark
As long as the car is horizontal(ish) you don't need to drain the trans oil to change the output shaft seals. Although, since taking off the axles is the hardest part, I'd just pull the whole transmission (support the engine with a jack or jackstand) and reseal the whole thing.

I'll refrain from pimping myself here. shades.gif
Dr Evil
Try GPR for the seals. I may have some as well.

Your first post is exactly how it is done.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 21 2011, 07:13 PM) *

As long as the car is horizontal(ish) you don't need to drain the trans oil to change the output shaft seals. Although, since taking off the axles is the hardest part, I'd just pull the whole transmission (support the engine with a jack or jackstand) and reseal the whole thing.

I'll refrain from pimping myself here. shades.gif

im saving you for my engine overhaul.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 21 2011, 07:16 PM) *

Try GPR for the seals. I may have some as well.

Your first post is exactly how it is done.

and im saving you for my gearbox overhaul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.