Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling a car at a swap meet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
Hey guys,

I'm taking the 911 to Hershey this weekend in hopes of finding it a new home. Should I be so fortunate as to find a buyer, I'd like to ask a few questions to those who have bought or sold cars at swap meets.

1. Payment - how is this normally done? I don't expect to see someone walking around with a briefcase full of cash.

2. Escrow - how does this work?

3. Delivery - this should be the easiest... if it's cash and carry, I'll let the car go and bum a ride back to Maryland with Matt.

Any thoughts?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 21 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Hey guys,

I'm taking the 911 to Hershey this weekend in hopes of finding it a new home. Should I be so fortunate as to find a buyer, I'd like to ask a few questions to those who have bought or sold cars at swap meets.

1. Payment - how is this normally done? I don't expect to see someone walking around with a briefcase full of cash.

2. Escrow - how does this work?

3. Delivery - this should be the easiest... if it's cash and carry, I'll let the car go and bum a ride back to Maryland with Matt.

Any thoughts?

I will have my towdolly with me. Just give me 1000.00 for gas and I will haul that donor car back to the south for you. poke.gif
Dr Evil
How much??? Take payments??? happy11.gif

Persons looking to buy will have the cash available in either a bank check or cash. Personal checks are not out of the question considering you will have a pink slip to back up monetary claims if the check defaults. However, this is a personal call.

Worth noting, in PA if you sell a car you have to have the title notarized (huge waste of time and money). Since you are from MD, I dont think this is an issue as it would be as if the person came to MD and bought it (MD rules, not PA rules).
r_towle
cars do get sold for cash at Hershey...rarely.

Most get a deposit, the ship the car.
Buyers come from all over...
I delivered a sold car there once...a 356 we had already sold..

Rich
mepstein
Chances are you won't complete the transaction at the event but it's a good place to get exposure. If it does happen, just figure out the details as you go. The buyer would probably be uninsured if he tried to drive or trailer it home.

My dad bought a car on ebay. Talked to the seller and flew down from NJ to FL to see and buy car. Turned out seller was best friends with his best friend. They all had grown up together. Ended up staying around for a couple days. Paid cash and drove car home.

zymurgist
Now I'm wondering if I should just leave the spare parts behind. I think the car shows better when it's not full of stuff...
zymurgist
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 21 2011, 01:22 PM) *

I will have my towdolly with me. Just give me 1000.00 for gas and I will haul that donor car back to the south for you. poke.gif

You'll need an enclosed trailer. Because you're going to swap a Road Glide for it, remember? biker.gif
Dr Evil
Or, unload the parts at a booth and sell them confused24.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 21 2011, 01:50 PM) *

Hmm. I would consider that for the interior spares and racing wheels, although I'd really prefer to sell it all as a package, especially if the buyer wants to take it racing.
mepstein
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 21 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Now I'm wondering if I should just leave the spare parts behind. I think the car shows better when it's not full of stuff...

Yes. And post a FS on Pelican and note that car will be at Hershey.
r_towle
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 21 2011, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 21 2011, 01:50 PM) *

Hmm. I would consider that for the interior spares and racing wheels, although I'd really prefer to sell it all as a package, especially if the buyer wants to take it racing.

If you want to sell only as a package...take pics of the spares and put a board up with all the pics that go with the car.
Be prepared for alot of people trying to buy just the parts....

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.