Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug wheel options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
I would like to know what wheels will have correct off set to use on a stock body.
The rear fender lips have been rolled, 911 disc brakes.
I would like to use 16 or 17" x 7" wheels, not Fuchs.
I would like to try different look.
Phone dials, C2 Disc looking wheel, 968 wheel?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mueller
almost any rim from '87 to now will "sorta" have the correct offset.....actually, all of them will have too much offset(50mm+) and you'll have to run a spacer to move the wheel back out towards the fender

someone has some design 90's on the classified, but they are only 6" wide (front's), the rears are 8" and will not fit without heavy mods.
retrotech
I haven't got the responce I was hoping for.
Can anyone send me some pictures of any 5 lug wheels used on stock body, that are not Fuchs?
jim912928
Well, in about 30 days I'll hopefully have on 16X6 and 16X7 rims off of a 1999 Boxster. Preliminary (meaning hold them up against the 4-lug hubs and eyeball it) view looks like the rears will be fine (think they have a 40mm offset) but the fronts will need spacers as they have a 50mm offset.

Jim
boxstr
Stephen You might go over to PP and check out there 'galleries and also some of the different swap meet and car show pics they have.
You should find alot of different wheels choices.
CCLINFUCHSLOOKFACTORY
Mueller
I haven't got the responce I was hoping for.
Can anyone send me some pictures of any 5 lug wheels used on stock body, that are not Fuchs?

It's not a very popular conversion, hence the lack of people responding....
and.......you didn't ask for pictures !!! smile.gif

Wheel Enhancement Wheel Styles

At the above link, clink on a rim and it will give you the size and offsets

The near perfect offset for the rear of a stock fendered 914 is 35mm
(for rim that is 7" wide)

and here is another chart to help a little, you'll have to do the math:
Revolution Wheels
We can do a 5x130 on our 7x17 RZX. In fact the first set of 7x17's that we did for a 914, was for a sixer.
stevend
I had and have design 90's 7 and 9's and cups same but they will not fit with stock fenders. Use to run with spacers, 35mm front and 54mm back.

the 17's I have ran with 35's all the way around. Pictures on other computer.
stevend
retrotech,
the pics I have are of your old blue car with

16" cups
16 ronals
16 design 90's
16 bbs
and some with the old revolutions in your shop

take your pick
campbellcj
Here ya go, early 17" Boxster wheels (I think they're only 7's) -

IPB Image

IPB Image
Duffster
here you go.... 9x17
campbellcj
You have 9's on an unflared car? Would like to hear more about offset & spacers & tire size please!
lagunero
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 14 2004, 09:35 PM)
You have 9's on an unflared car? Would like to hear more about offset & spacers & tire size please!

Just what I was going to ask!
Mueller

man, you guy's took that bait without thinking twice, LOL

the fenders look pulled to me......

I have 4 16x9's in my garage right now, trust me, unless you relocate or replace the front strut, they will will not fit the front without flares or pulling out the fenders, the rears you'd have to relocate the shocks inboard and cut the trunk walls....
campbellcj
My fenders are pulled pretty hard and there is no room for much beyond 7's with 225's...that is with normal early 911 offset wheels and significant neg. camber
retrotech
Will 17x7" 993 wheels work on the stock body?
They are 55/57mm set back. What spacers will be needed?
Mueller
Will 17x7" 993 wheels work on the stock body?
They are 55/57mm set back. What spacers will be needed?

yes, you'll need approx. 20mm spacers
Duffster
I ran the 9x17s, but we were starting to get a little rough on the fenders in serious turns with the 245s, so I dropped back to a set of 964 Cup wheels that are 7x17 and 8x17 with 35mm spacers in the rear and 25mms in the front. The tire size that works the best in the rear seems to be 235.

as for the fenders... does this answer your question? smash.gif
Mueller
Duffster,

what motor are you running? got pictures of the car with rims on it? (full view)
Duffster
Hey Mueller...

I just learned that my Olympus digicam makes GREAT BIG FILES!!!! I'll try it again in the daylight with my ol' Mavica that'll fit 'em on a diskette...

headbang.gif

the motor is a trick 2.7
Dr Evil
I got some mille miglia C2 cup replicas that are 17x7.5 with 23mm, and 17x9 rears with 15mm offset and they look like they will fit almost perfectly. I may need a 3-4mm spacer at best.
Sorry, no pictures yet.
retrotech
I just bought some 993, 17x7" for front & rear. The 9" scared me, I am assuming the 7" will be a no brainer. Now how wide of a tire will work on 7", rear?
Mueller
for 17x7, I'd go max 225/45/17

I have 17x7s on my Volvo with 225/45/17s and on the front of my 911, I have 17x8s with the same size and brand tire...this size tire fits and performs better on the 8" rim, so I wouldn't try to go with a wider tire on the 7" rim

The 9" scared me, I am assuming the 7" will be a no brainer

thought I was reading a letter to Penthouse for a minute laugh.gif laugh.gif
brant
retro tech,

On a stock fender you will still struggle to get a 225 under a stock fender.. (I believe you may have to resort back to a 205 still)

also, rather than buy lug bolts, if your going to have to use spacers figure out what length and then get the proper length of studs pressed in.... (of course you may have to replace your rear wheel bearings to pull this off)..

just my $.02
brant
retrotech
I hope I don't end up with 205's, that would defeat the purpose.
I was going to get the studs, but why will this effect my wheel bearings?
seanery
because you have to remove the hubs to press the studs in.
you'll, 9 times out of 10, ruin the bearings when removing the hub.
Eddie914
Here is the most authoritative information I have found.

Porsche Wheel Fitment

http://members.rennlist.com/1976c38/index.html

These fitments apply to 911s but early 911s are quite similar to the 914/6

205s on 16 x 7 phone dials look workable

I have a set of BBS 16 x 7/8 (et 23/11) I'm putting on my 914 with 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 but my fenders are NOT quite stock.

Eddie
Bleyseng
Hey, that looks like me trying to pull out the rears. I ended up using front shock that was metal as the wooden bat broke! <_< The shock really did the trick to pull out the rear fenders so the 7x15 Cookies would work but it killed the paint too.

Geoff
Duffster
Hey Mueller...
here is what it looks like on the ground...
Dr Evil
hey Duffster,
What did you do to your 2.7, and how did you fit the 9" wheels originally? I have the copies of the wheels you have and they are 9" in the back. Can I just roll the fenders like in the pictures?
Thanks Dude!
retrotech
Duffester,

Thanks for the picture. Those are the wheels I am getting in silver, but all 4 in 7". I was getting worried if I would like them on the non flared body.
They look great. What tires are you running?
Dr Evil
Retrotech,
are you getting the ones with the 23mm back spacing? If not you will have to spring more for the larger spacers. Lemme know if yo need the links.
Mueller
damn, that is a nice looking car....must be a blast !!!!
retrotech
No, I don't think so. They are 95 993, so they are like 55mm aren't they?
Dr Evil
retrotech,
I got mine from a guy off ebay. He lives in TX and sells the wheels in the size and offset I mentioned above with Dunlop sp sport 9000 wheels ballanced, mounted, with brand new lug nuts, delivered to my door for $1250. Seemed like a good deal to me. It was harder, but not impossible to find the wheels with the 23 and 15mm offsets. If you seek you will find. If you want help hit me up. I think these wheels look awsome on our cars.
Dr Evil
If you do a search for 87 911 cup 1 or cup 2 wheels you should find that which you are seeking.

One search turned up this:
http://www.americastire.com/dtc/findWheelP...e=17&plusSize=2

these have the 23, 15mm spacing.
HTH
retrotech
Its too late, I have already bid/won the wheels on E Bay.
They are 993 wheels, 17x7, for $300.
Duffster
Hey retrotech & Dr. Evil...

the magic tire sizes are 235/40ZR17 90W in the rear and 215/45ZR17 87w in front. Dunlop SP Sports...

Getting the 9 inch 993 wheels to fit did a lot of violence to the fenders and paint, and the end result was some burned paint in real hard cornering, so the decision was taken to drop back to the 8's. Could have resolved the clearance issues with the 9's, but I couldn't wait any longer to drive the car. MDB2.gif

Since I'm a graduate of the Fuckwythe School of Automotive Maintanence and Design, I'm hatching a plan to do a little more beating on the back fenders before the car goes in for some real paint. welder.gif
Dr Evil
retrotech,
$300 is a great deal and that will offset any cost for spacers and such. Congradulations!

Duffster,
ya, I'm ganna beat the shit out of it till it fits. I dont want huge flares, just subtle ones that fit the 9" perfect. I aint driving anytime soon. Thanks for the inspiration.
retrotech
So lets assume my e bay wheel deal goes through. Next question, will 225 work & fit on 7" rims in stock fenders, front & rear?
Dr Evil
If you go to the Tire Rack web site and do a search for your desired tire size then click on the "Specs" button above each tire listed it will give you a list like this to interpret:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?mak...l=SP+Sport+9000

HTH
John2kx
Duffster,

Great look! Do you have any other pics? I'd like to see the rear wheels at different angles if possible.

John
Mueller
Next question, will 225 work & fit on 7" rims in stock fenders, front & rear?

generally no, or at least for the rear......the fronts have more room and are normally not a problem. It seems that 205's are about the most* for bone stock rear fenders

*some reports of 215's being used.

I've got 205/45/16's on mine and have room for a little wider since it seems that my fenders have been tugged on by hand and the fenders do not taper back towards the rear of the vehicle as on a bone stock car.
retrotech
Crap, I am comitted to the 17x7" wheels.
Doesn't 205's seem small for a rear wheels, on a 2.8 - 6 motor?
Oh well, if the consesus is "no way", then I guess I will get the Falken 205's all the way around.
Thanks I appreciate al of the experienced input.

www.route30classics.com

Stephen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.