Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaky Gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ductech
I recently discovered after filling the gas tank 3/4 full that there is a rust spot on the back side of the tank right where it has the potential to rub against the chassis.
Looks like the PO had removed the tank and painted it with some por 15 at one point. sadly it kept rusting from the inside and now it has a couple of pin holes.

Point being I guess have any of you guys repaired one of these tanks with gas tank epoxy or even fabricating a new section and welding it in place and then coating the inside of the tank?

Thanks for the advice guys!
JRust
You may be better off finding a solid tank. There should be some floating in your area. Get it all cleaned out & just swap them. I know someone up there has to have one taking up space blink.gif If not let me know. I think I have one in my 73 roller I could get. I'll have to dbl check as it has been a while. It might be gone & I forget dry.gif
Drums66
.....I think you might be better off,finding another gas tank also idea.gif agree.gif
too bad you are so far.....I have a couple!
bye1.gif flag.gif
914werke
If it has a rust failure from the inside out I would agree with Jamie, but in my experience at that upper area that is rarely the case.
More likely the "pad" that isolates the tank, felt in many cars or Ive seen carpet patches as well, has retained moisture and over time rotted the tank.
Remember Water sinks to the bottom in the tank.
All of this is to say you could repair it, but Im not a fan of the available coating products and your better of finding a non perforated tank.
BTW....chk my Garage sale ad. wub.gif
wingnut86
QUOTE(Ductech @ Apr 21 2011, 04:22 PM) *

I recently discovered after filling the gas tank 3/4 full that there is a rust spot on the back side of the tank right where it has the potential to rub against the chassis.
Looks like the PO had removed the tank and painted it with some por 15 at one point. sadly it kept rusting from the inside and now it has a couple of pin holes.

Point being I guess have any of you guys repaired one of these tanks with gas tank epoxy or even fabricating a new section and welding it in place and then coating the inside of the tank?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Ductech,

I have 3 in my crawl space, all have senders in them still, charcoal filter, fuel nipples and the earlier metal overflow tanks (sender condition unknown), no caps.

light surface rust in a few places but nothing through and through.

I was going to Marine Clean/Pore-15 and resell finished.

You can have one for raw for $110 plus shipping from 29072.

Let me know.

Wingnut86

aktion035.gif

Jeffs9146
When I pulled my tank recently I also found a small hole where the pad was! I looked inside the tank and it was not rusting from the inside but from the outside so I welded up the hole and cleaned and covered the whole area with JB weld. Then I replaced the pad with one made of rubber.

All good now!!
Ductech
As usual you are all quite helpful. rdauenhauer I think as soon as I come across a hundred bucks I'll head on over and pick that up off your hands.

Till then ill finish taking the tank out and further inspect it this evening. It is as you say more or less from the area where their should be felt to stop the tank from chaffing. this part was not there as the PO painted it after a halfassed rustoration. so most likely it was rusting from the outside in and i was just seeing the inside of the rust coming thru. I'l keep yah posted.
beer3.gif
JmuRiz
Too bad no one makes a stainless replacement tank. The only new tank I know of is the $$ fuelsafe unit. So I guess a known good tank is the best option.
euro911
We smeared some Slick-50 marine grease on the felt pads when we had the tank out to replace the pump and hoses shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
Robert, I have one sitting in the back of my garage that should be good. You are welcome to take it away if you would like as it is taking up precious space wink.gif
stugray
I have two that I could offer, but I am not the closest to you (Longmont, CO.)

Stu
Hammy
Most definitely outside in.....
Mike Bellis
If you were interested in welding it... We used to weld process fuel piping all the time. You will need a tank of Nitrogen or Helium. Connect the regulator hose to the tank fuel bib. Bleed a constant stream of 5psi into the tank while welding. It will prevent any flame up or vapor explosions. You will need to empty the tank and remove it from the car.
PeeGreen 914
I just gave him a tank that was good and that should solve the problem beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.