Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help should I buy this car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyepoppet
these are some pictures of the car. im pretty new this kinda stuff but Im going to technician school in the fall to learn how to fix cars and pass my A1, I have ALWAYS been a Huge fan of Porsche's an this is My favorite one. tell me what you think.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

avidfanjpl
If you are going to school, you cannot afford the parts to get the car back to a point where it is structurally sound.

The hole in the car where the battery is should be enough to make you NOT buy it.

I know men at least twice your age that would run like hell in the other direction, and they have real jobs.

John
eyepoppet
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Apr 21 2011, 07:50 PM) *

If you are going to school, you cannot afford the parts to get the car back to a point where it is structurally sound.

The hole in the car where the battery is should be enough to make you NOT buy it.

I know men at least twice your age that would run like hell in the other direction, and they have real jobs.

John

The rust didnt look that bad, is it covered up by paint or somthing?
pilothyer
If it is to restore, I would say in a word NO !!. If it is only for a couple hundred bucks (Better yet FREE) and only as a donor to help you in the resotation of another car in good shape.......MAYBE. Just from the pictures you have shown, this car has been put out to pasture, probably under a tree and has rust in places I didn't even know rusted. Don't walk away..........RUN !!!!!!!!!
Mike Bellis
Look below the battery tray the "long" or frame is under there. If it's rusted there is major repair work in store for you...
whatabout1
Ah yes, Mn winters and road salt.

Under the battery is structure that would have connected the back half of the car
to the middle and front. It is gone.

The area in front of the gas pedal is gone.

Every where you see any rust there will 10 times that much underneath.

If the seller is giving it for free and is also giving you $10K to fix. Then it may be not
too bad of a deal.

I would keep looking.

[EDIT] After I recovered from the rust, I saw the wiring mess behind the shifter !! So did the whole
back half wiring harness need replacing ? If so, why ? That is a real POS wiring job.

Make that, Car for free and $15K to fix. Now let's talk engine, tranny, guages, suspension, cv joints, wheel bearings,
bushings, ball joints, rod ends, .........

Ok, get the car for free. Then take the $15K and get one that is do-able.
tod914
The inside tunnel looks rusted pretty bad, also the area by the foot pedals. Strong indicator the floors are probally on their way out too. Do yourself a favor and avoid this one.
Mike Bellis
That first CL ad claims it's an LE car. If so, It's worth the 600 bucks he wants for it.

The purple one in Des Moines is the best deal if he has all the parts...
Tom_T
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 21 2011, 06:36 PM) *

Since his pix show an engine in it, & the supposed LE in the first CL has none - they cannot be the same 914. I agree that it needs to be verified with the VIN & Options/color code that it is in fact an LE by calling PCNA (Porsche No. America - 800 # on their Porsche website under USA, at Classics section under Certificate of Authenticity (COA).

Poppet - if you call PCNA's COA people & give them the VIN & ask them to confirm if an LE before you buy, then it may be worth it to buy that one, but it will be hard to cfind the original nos. matching engine (if not impossible), and would have less collectible value without it. If it is an LE, then you'd want to eventually order the COA from them, if you got this or another LE for your project Poppet.
You can read up on more LE info here - http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

That said, I agree with the others on NOT buying the one eyepoppet is looking at, as even the parts will be in rough shape - free, maybe if you have a place to stash a parts car.

And to Poppet - welcome.png .... and continue the search young Jedi! biggrin.gif

More to read up on 914s here -
p914.com
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
(IIRC there's a pre-purchase checklist form under the Tech Docs section or somewhere on the latter one.)

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 21 2011, 06:42 PM) *
That first CL ad claims it's an LE car.

I see nothing LE on that car? Well, besides a lot of rust. biggrin.gif

What am i missing? confused24.gif
reharvey
OMG! I've parted out better cars then this one. You'll spent a lifetime and a ton of money to bring this one back to life. Keep looking--there are better cars out to be had. Good luck
PBC914
Stay away from:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/2274615958.html

The car is carbed, color changed from L80E/Ivory white to brown. Body sag, doors drag when closed, door gaps are off. I went and checked it out. The owner is a good guy, but I don't think he knows what he has, or the work it needs. Engine is strong however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.