Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Props to JWest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
Called up and ordered a little something from JWest today. They were very friendly and helpful. Actually the person on the phone didn't know the answer and told me she would have to call me back. Within 30 minutes she called back and made the order easy. beerchug.gif

I love ordering from people like this. piratenanner.gif
championgt1
Great to hear stories like this!

Whadda get? driving.gif
Rand
smilie_pokal.gif
He musta gotta a shifter thingy.
PeeGreen 914
Stage 1 kit with the Rosewood knob. The stage 1 is all they are doing for the 914 now sad.gif

I am trying to buy only things I can easily transfer between my daily and the race car I want to build. That way I can spend more on the right things cheer.gif
championgt1
piratenanner.gif
SLKWrx
Wait, why did they stop doing the higher Stage kits? Are they getting back into it?

Edit: Oh yeah... Nice Knob piratenanner.gif
JWest
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Apr 22 2011, 07:43 AM) *

Wait, why did they stop doing the higher Stage kits? Are they getting back into it?

I am discontinuing the shift linkage kits after this batch is gone. There are about 15 left.

The linkage is too expensive for the market. I knocked the price down to a point that is not sustainable (all profit will always be tied up in producing the next batch) and they still sell too slowly. I feel bad losing it because I love the design and operation; maybe I will publish the specs so you guys can still take advantage when it is gone.

The shifters are still the biggest improvement and they are not going anywhere. driving.gif
SLKWrx
QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 22 2011, 05:02 AM) *

I am discontinuing the shift linkage kits after this batch is gone. There are about 15 left.

The linkage is too expensive for the market. I knocked the price down to a point that is not sustainable (all profit will always be tied up in producing the next batch) and they still sell too slowly. I feel bad losing it because I love the design and operation; maybe I will publish the specs so you guys can still take advantage when it is gone.

The shifters are still the biggest improvement and they are not going anywhere. driving.gif

Oh man, should have jumped on this when I had the chance. Will you still do a Stage 4 kit before they're sold out?

-- Steve
mepstein
Snagged a stage 3 kit and shifter last year. Stored away for the build. smile.gif
JWest
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Apr 22 2011, 08:16 AM) *

Oh man, should have jumped on this when I had the chance. Will you still do a Stage 4 kit before they're sold out?

-- Steve

No, only level 1 parts are left.
SLKWrx
QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 22 2011, 06:09 AM) *

No, only level 1 parts are left.

Damn, Ok. Please let me know if you ever go back to producing the full kit. The Lvl 1 kit is a bit outside of my range of fabrication ability.
Loser_Cruiser
Im pretty bummed too sad.gif I have been real interested in the lvl 4 kit but have just been tied up with school until recently. Please do make an annoucement if you decide to produce it again. I feel the lvl 1 kit is above my abilities.
JWest
For you guys who can't do the fabrication, I could still do the welding of the shift rods for a 4 cyl car - à la the level 4 kit.

You would have to send me your old shift rods and I can't provide all the boots or u-joints. U-joints from a 914 steering shaft can be used.

Shoot me an e-mail to discuss.
Loser_Cruiser
I'll be sending you an email this evening. Thank you smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Apr 22 2011, 05:43 AM) *

agree.gif That is a nice knob. James do you sell those separately? Will they fit a stock sifter or only a JWest unit?
JWest
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 22 2011, 08:08 PM) *

That is a nice knob. James do you sell those separately? Will they fit a stock sifter or only a JWest unit?

The knob only fits the RennShift (it has a threaded stud).
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 21 2011, 09:59 PM) *

Called up and ordered a little something from JWest today. They were very friendly and helpful. Actually the person on the phone didn't know the answer and told me she would have to call me back. Within 30 minutes she called back and made the order easy. beerchug.gif

I love ordering from people like this. piratenanner.gif

Bought stage 4 early last year-Love it-Hate that you can't keep producing these kits.Great suppliers (ya know the ones that meet the schedule they give for the price they quote) are sure hard to find.Thank You! JJackson beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 22 2011, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 22 2011, 08:08 PM) *

That is a nice knob. James do you sell those separately? Will they fit a stock sifter or only a JWest unit?

The knob only fits the RennShift (it has a threaded stud).

It's a very special knob. With left handed foreign threads that cannot possibly fit your shifter.
poke.gif
You want the special knob, buy it and make it work. You can't figure out how to do that??? I sell you special package with drill bit and jbweld. My guarantee: We make workee.

Just goofin. Rennshift on my list. Thanks JWest for kicking out a premium product for our 914s.
Hontec
After reading this, I just went ahead and ordered one of the last stage 1 kits......better have the stage 1 on the shelf than nothing at all!

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Hontec @ Apr 26 2011, 05:56 AM) *

After reading this, I just went ahead and ordered one of the last stage 1 kits......better have the stage 1 on the shelf than nothing at all!

So true beerchug.gif
Bee Jay
I am converting my 73 914 Four into a 914-6 with Headers. I need to buy or modify the shift bar. Will this stage 1 kit fill the bill?
Bee Jay
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Apr 26 2011, 11:30 AM) *

I am converting my 73 914 Four into a 914-6 with Headers. I need to buy or modify the shift bar. Will this stage 1 kit fill the bill?
Bee Jay

I would say yes but call them and ask. If the person you get on the phone doesn't know the answer they will get you the correct answer quickly beerchug.gif
LotusJoe
QUOTE(JWest @ Apr 22 2011, 06:02 AM) *

Do you have any pictures of the kit installed?
JWest
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 26 2011, 06:12 PM) *

Do you have any pictures of the kit installed?

Linkage thread
PeeGreen 914
James, I received the kit today piratenanner.gif

It came with a picture but not everything was in the kit. Is there a place for me to acquire these?

#10, #9, #8 and #6

I am guessing I just modify my own #7 confused24.gif

Thanks, I can't wait to get this on my car beerchug.gif that is on jackstands blink.gif

But in my defense it will be on the road in about 30 days smile.gif
JWest
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 6 2011, 07:22 PM) *

James, I received the kit today piratenanner.gif

It came with a picture but not everything was in the kit. Is there a place for me to acquire these?

#10, #9, #8 and #6

The level 1 kit (the only one left now) does not have those parts. The point of the levels was to allow you to use some parts you may already have on hand since the feedback on my prices was negative.

I include the same picture in evey level so you can follow along with the instructions.

You can use a 914 steering shaft assembly to get #10 and #9.

#8 is a pair of the factory shift console boots (just adds a second to the rear of the console).

#6 is a round accordian that should not be too difficult to locate a usable part such as a steering rack boot.

You can add the holes to your #7.
PeeGreen 914
Okay smile.gif what about the U joints? Do you have a good place to order those from?

Wish people didn't complain about your prices. I find your products well worth the price.
PeeGreen 914
smile.gif
JWest
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 7 2011, 10:22 PM) *

Okay smile.gif what about the U joints? Do you have a good place to order those from?

That's what the 914 steerng shaft gives you - two u-joints and two splined ends. If you want them new, they are used on VW's also - check a place that sells off-road VW parts. The stubs are 5/8"-36 splines.
PeeGreen 914
Awesome... Ordered some today beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
I was so disappointed to learn that the JWest linkage kits are no longer available. I am one of those that says if you have to raise the price to be able to continue offering this fine product to our community, raise it and I will pay it. I have posted a WTB add and am hoping someone bought a level III kit that they ended up not needing. I wish I had seen that these were going to be discontinued because I would have grabbed one. My loss. I will still keep my fingers crossed however that someone, somewhere, might have one for sale.

Of course I will have to buy the shifter assemble too.
nsr-jamie
Me too, I am sad to hear that as well. I was hoping to get one someday after I finished a few more things on my car....

Are you going to keep selling the Renn shifters? I hope those wouldn't be discontinued.
TurbOH Brad
J West makes AMAZING products. They are one of the best suppliers that we have, and their products are top notch. I wish we could have sold enough of these kits to keep them in production!
JWest
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 16 2011, 07:45 AM) *

Me too, I am sad to hear that as well. I was hoping to get one someday after I finished a few more things on my car....

Are you going to keep selling the Renn shifters? I hope those wouldn't be discontinued.

Yes, the shifters are still available and continue to sell well.
eric9144
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 15 2011, 06:53 PM) *

I was so disappointed to learn that the JWest linkage kits are no longer available. I am one of those that says if you have to raise the price to be able to continue offering this fine product to our community, raise it and I will pay it. I have posted a WTB add and am hoping someone bought a level III kit that they ended up not needing. I wish I had seen that these were going to be discontinued because I would have grabbed one. My loss. I will still keep my fingers crossed however that someone, somewhere, might have one for sale.

Of course I will have to buy the shifter assemble too.

agree.gif So bummed that I'd been in a 914 coma for a couple years while getting married, having kids etc and missed out on that product, lets hope we can either get a group buy together to make it worth it for JWest to produce a limited run, or that someone else can take up the product and bring it back to market...it was WAY too good to go extinct... sad.gif
nsr-jamie
agree.gif too!!

I think thats a good idea
Cairo94507
Well, hell, I will kick it off! I will sign on for a group buy. Maybe if we can put together a group of actual buyers, JWest will make another run of these for us. I will check with JWest to see if they would consider this.
Michael
BKLA
Add me to the group buy for the remaining parts to upgrade a stage 1 kit.

When i heard JWest was no longer going to make these, I bought a stage one kit. I have a stage 3 (4?) kit on the zonk. It's the single best improvement you can make to a non-concourse car. This one is going on the white '70 4 with a rebuilt sideshift.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif Me too smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.