Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Save or Part out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Asa
So here's my situation. I got my 74 914 two weeks ago with plans on restoring her, but upon a deeper inspection (after paying and getting her in the garage), I realized there's bigger problems than I thought. I didn't realize there was as much rust in the hell hole, the front floor boards are starting to rot through, and I assume the longitudinals are rusted out because now the doors won't close.
confused24.gif

So I'm not sure if I'll be able to restore all those problems. How easy would something like that be and how much work would it entail? Any advice would be great. I'm not sure if I should give it a shot or just part it out and make my money back. I have pics posted, being the last one to post on the Members 914 pictures thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=8&st=3700

Thanks.
Mike Bellis
If the doors wont close you have a lot of welding ahead to save that car. You could part it out and double your money. You can get $200 just for the carbs. If you can pull out the wiring harness without cuttling it, another $200. Hood $50, Trunk $50, Gauges $50-100, Front bumper $50-100 Rear bumper $? no pics. Rockers $40-60. Transmission $200, Engine $200, Wheels $50, Targa top $50. Plus what ever is left.

Lots of good parts or, pull the engine and start welding. You can jack it up until the doors close. Then weld in a temp door brace and start fixing. All the parts to fix it are available from Restoration Design.
mepstein
You can make 2k parting it if your patient. Windshield, small bits around the dash area, side shifter parts, seats, locks, lights and lenses, steering wheel, gas tank, ect. vs 15k+ to fix properly. JMO Mark
Asa
Thanks guys. I'm going to go over it really good this weekend and make my decision. Looks like I'll be parting out or selling as a parts car. Maybe I'll try and keep the engine to drop in a Ghia or Bug.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Asa @ Apr 22 2011, 07:56 PM) *
Thanks guys. I'm going to go over it really good this weekend and make my decision. Looks like I'll be parting out or selling as a parts car. Maybe I'll try and keep the engine to drop in a Ghia or Bug.

Post some pictures here of the rusted areas ... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.