Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD 6al--Help with timing light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Recently installed a 6al, but haven't connected a timing light yet. I thought that I've read you can't connect an inductive timing light on plug wire #1 anymore. Currently I have my dash tach connected to the single blade port on the side, can you use that wire for your timing light to clamp on the timing light pickup or ????

Don't want to mess my light or tach up.
Thanks
IPB Image
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 22 2011, 11:13 AM) *

Recently installed a 6al, but haven't connected a timing light yet. I thought that I've read you can't connect an inductive timing light on plug wire #1 anymore. Currently I have my dash tach connected to the single blade port on the side, can you use that wire for your timing light to clamp on the timing light pickup or ????

The trigger isn't going to have nearly enough power to trigger an inductive light.
That said, I've never had any issues with an inductive pickup on #1 with a couple of flavors of multi-spark discharge units.

You _might_ get a bit of flicker (double-trigger) near idle speeds, but you don't really set the timing there anyway. Pretty much all you're looking for is total advance, and that happens way above the rpm range where you'll get multiple sparks.

You won't hurt the light - it can't tell the difference between 2 sparks at 1000 rpm and 1 spark at 2000 rpm...
computers4kids
[quote name='ArtechnikA' date='Apr 22 2011, 08:22 AM' post='1464468']
[quote name='computers4kids' post='1464465' date='Apr 22 2011, 11:13 AM']

You won't hurt the light - it can't tell the difference between 2 sparks at 1000 rpm and 1 spark at 2000 rpm...
[/quote]

Thanks...I'll give it a whirl.
jcambo7
I have a 6AL on my 6 and I used a timing light as advertised with the #1 spark plug wire and it worked just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.