Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Question: NARP but related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I got this 283 engine to put into my 914. It is a fresh motor and I built it with the parts suggested by Rod Simpson and others. I have seen many things on small blocks before but there is a hole in the block for something and I am not quite sure what it is. I was hoping maybe someone with old school Chevy knowledge would step up with an answer. I think it is for an Oil pressure sensor but its so large. That is why I am asking. Its circled in yellow as it doesnt show up well in the picutre. Anyone?
PatW
The little one is for an oil pressure gauge. The Big one is for a freeze plug.

I think.. ph34r.gif
Levi
THe Big hole is the PCV and the small hole is for the oil sending unit
Levi
QUOTE(PatW @ May 14 2004, 05:44 PM)
The little one is for an oil pressure gauge. The Big one is for a freeze plug.

I think.. ph34r.gif

Well the big hole can be filled with a freeze plug But the 283 used it for the PCV system.....
skline
The reason I asked is because I looked in a old book and saw a huge oil pressure sender that looked like it was installed in that hole but I couldnt tell. In any case, I need to fill that hole with something, prefferable something that wont leak.
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 14 2004, 05:53 PM)
The reason I asked is because I looked in a old book and saw a huge oil pressure sender that looked like it was installed in that hole but I couldnt tell. In any case, I need to fill that hole with something, prefferable something that wont leak.

If your talking about the big hole, I think a freeze plug is the prefered method. the little hole will be the Best place to put your oil pressure sending unit.
I have 2 283's and 25 years of building Small block Chevy engines, so let me know if you have any questions.
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 14 2004, 05:39 PM)
Ihoping maybe someone with old school Chevy knowledge would step up with an answer.

This is a clearer picture of the PCV hole Note inside the block is the inside part of the system. the next picture will show the piece that goes in the hole
Levi
this is the piece that bolts onto the big PCV hole
Levi
If I knew half as much about the 914 T4 engines as I do about Chevy engines I'd be on my 74 2.0L engine like fly's on shit... laugh.gif
skline
Ok, well I will go and try to find a freeze plug to fit in there and the one on the front of the manifold. I will use the hole in the valve cover to put oil in.
Levi
If you use a later intake Manifold it won't have the front hole for the oil tube.
You will also need to put a PCV valve in your valve cover and hook it to the carb.
skline
Actually I found the type 4 to be quite simple in design and very easy to work on.
J P Stein
On a 283 that is the crankcase vent.....right out to the ground. If you plug it you'll need to vent both vlave covers......PVC valve....we doan need no stinkin' valbes biggrin.gif
Levi
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 14 2004, 07:38 PM)
On a 283 that is the crankcase vent.....right out to the ground. If you plug it you'll need to vent both vlave covers......PVC valve....we doan need no stinkin' valbes biggrin.gif

The tube that comes from the crankcase vent aka PCV= positive crankcase ventalation, runs up to the bottom of the air cleaner....I just removed it from my original 64 283,

I would use 1 PCV in one VC and a breather filler cap in the other as seen on the picture of one of my 327 engines
tesserra
I have a 914 v8. Oil leaks are not uncommon, and I think that crankcase pressure is the reason. Vent the crankcase more than you normally would. You will be driving your car in the 3 to 5k rpm range regularly and the normal vent system is not good enough.
I have had 2 problems with 2 different motors. Front main seals leaked.
I now have a valve cover vent that is conected to the bottom of the air cleaner, throuh a filter first, in addition to the PCV. I am considering even more ventilation.
GET A REV LIMITER. You will need it. Especially if you autox or race. The RPMs build real fast.

Just some advice that would have saved me a cople of bucks.

George
Levi
QUOTE(tesserra @ May 15 2004, 04:20 AM)
I have a 914 v8. Oil leaks are not uncommon, and I think that crankcase pressure is the reason. Vent the crankcase more than you normally would. You will be driving your car in the 3 to 5k rpm range regularly and the normal vent system is not good enough.
I have had 2 problems with 2 different motors. Front main seals leaked.
I now have a valve cover vent that is conected to the bottom of the air cleaner, throuh a filter first, in addition to the PCV. I am considering even more ventilation.
GET A REV LIMITER. You will need it. Especially if you autox or race. The RPMs build real fast.

Just some advice that would have saved me a cople of bucks.

George

I can safely tell you that SBC oil leaks are always due to the assembly process. I can't imagine internal engine pressure causing seal or gasket failure, unless (maybe) the engine was seal up tight with no venting at all.
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.