Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great AA experience (with a twist)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pam
My chief mechanic and I are going to attempt some 'long distance' repairs to the Bee while he's in Iraq. Basically this will be him emailing me instructions and me following them (come to think of it...with the exception of the delivery method - a system not unlike when we make repairs and are both in the same garage - except my chances of getting hit by a flying welding helmet are much less). Anyway...to this end he asked me to the colored vaccum hose kit from AA. I dutifully called AA (I'm an excellent shopper) and ordered on Monday. Received the package Thursday...exactly what I asked for, credit card was charged exactly the amount quoted. $8.50 for Fed Ex ground which I didn't think was excessive. Perfect transaction. I've never had one single problem ordering from AA and will continue to use them as my first choice for parts.

Now...the twist.

When I called and asked the name of the person I was ordering from I got 'George'. I don't know if it was 'the' George but the conversation was interesting none the less. I asked for the 'colored vacuum hose kit'. He told me they didn't have the colored kit but had a white kit...then said 'no African American kits here'. I was completely taken aback that he'd 'gone there' and told him that was sort of bold for him to make that joke to a stranger. He said here's a real joke and proceeded to tell me about a radio or TV station in Atlanta that had to change their paper recyling boxes from 'white paper' and 'colored paper' to 'white paper' and 'paper of color'. I was amazed that he told me this story since, obviously, he didn't know if I'd be offended or not. I was about two steps behind him in the whole conversation after this because I kept thinking...'did he really just tell me that story'??? Maybe I'm just too used to the corporate world always thinking in 'politically correct' terms...but I was still surprised. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Anyway....I got my parts and I'm happy....

-Pam aka Toolwench
Rusty
Okay.. tell the *rest* of the story... about email. LOL
lagunero
Maybe they were sold out wacko.gif Seriously now, I've had the misfortune of having dealt with their customer service and it seems like I'm always speaking with teenage boys. Not that it's an excuse for such unprofessional behaviour but I wouldn't put it past them. Wow!
URY914
Not that it's an excuse for such unprofessional behaviour but I wouldn't put it past them. Wow!

You two are way to "PC". Can't a guy speak his mind without you thinking he belongs to the KKK?

It may have been a stupid thing to tell a stranger/customer but where is the harm.

Paul
tod914
You two are way to "PC". Can't a guy speak his mind without you thinking he belongs to the KKK?

Unfortunetly people are way too sensitive these days. Have to be carefull what you say as not to step on peoples toes. Alot things are taken out of context.

wink.gif

Regarding your thread beer.gif wow a smooth transaction at AA - now that's something to celebrate! beerchug.gif I thought you were refering to Alcoholics Anom. when you posted great AA experience. Typically, Auto A. and excellent don't go together.

When I got George, my past transactions with him also went smooth. When I got other sale reps., that's when I have had problems.
seanery
Who's to say Pam isn't an AfricanAmerican and would be terribly offended. I think that's rude. My personal opinion.
morph
I think its a bit rude to tell these jokes to someone, who he doesn't know, I'd like to know what jokes he is telling people he is comfortable around. Although, he may have found these funny, he shouldn't have said this, that is horrible customer service.

hiedi
Rusty
We live in a PC world. You never know who is going to answer the phone, and the job of customer service is to be courteous to people you might never meet in person.

It takes a hell of a lot to "offend" Pam... she wasn't offended, just amused by someone's total cluelessness.

I think it was incredibly insensitive. If *I* said something like that, I could be brought up on charges. We can kill people, we just have to do it with a smile. smile.gif

The part of the story that I alluded to before:

I don't know if it was THE George, certainly there is more than one George at AA.  He called it a special edition rather than limited edition, and said sort of smart 'I'm glad you called...we are the 914 capitol (or something like that).  When I gave him my rennlist address I said, 'I don't suppose I have to tell you how to spell rennlist?'  And he said 'definitely not' sort of disgustedly.  

There's oh so much humor in the world today... ya have to laugh at some people's stupidity and ignorance, or you'd break down and cry.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
I don't think its a "PC" world just respectful of others. People around the world are so varied with different cultures and how they look.
The jokes are real "low brow" so crass.

Oh BTW isn't "A Great AA experience" an oxymoron???

Geoff ohmy.gif
Pam
I've ordered from AA several times and NEVER had a bad experience. Called on Monday 1:00 pm - parts at my door by 1:15 pm Thursday. Parts as promised - charged what I was quoted......I'll leave it to you all to debate whether or not that was great service.

-Pam
Hawktel
AA's been in business for a long time.

The thing is with the net, you need to have a spotless reputation. If you blow one order to a guy in timbuktu, with the net, we hear about it.

I'll show my ignorance, but is George H. a black guy?
lagunero
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 15 2004, 06:20 AM)
Not that it's an excuse for such unprofessional behaviour but I wouldn't put it past them. Wow!

It may have been a stupid thing to tell a stranger/customer but where is the harm.

Paul

Paul, I didn't mean to imply that huh.gif Even my joking on that post was "un-PC". I contemplated not replying to that post because of past experience, but I really thought I'd just add humor and my personal experience w/AA, that was it. I don't know "George" from AA. I don't know what his beliefs are nor do I need to know, but that his comments were unprofessional because he was representing AutoAtlanta, I think so. That's all I meant.

Paul I wish I could buy you a beer and chew the fat for a while, I'm sure you'd see that I'm not so sensitive or "hung up" on most issues.
URY914
I didn't mean to be a smart ass, but there are two different issues here that need to be realized.

1) You are really offended by what he said and you take it personal

2) You're offended because he said something so stupid to someone he doesn't know.

If he said it to me, I wouldn't take offence to it, but I would think it is the wrong thing to say.

Paul
morph
im not saying you have to be black to have a opinion about this,but are any of you black ?im just curious.most of my black friends who drive porsche drive 911,or boxter biggrin.gif.ive never met another black 914 owner.has anyone out there met a 914 lover who is black ?but out of the almost 20 years of driving my 914 ive never ran into another black guy driving one
lol
rhodyguy
so it was more of customer relations matter. the "color" reference is odd. interesting, the transaction was almost perfect. <_<

kevin
Bleyseng
Just "Ice Tea"
tod914
Ive met a few Black 914 owners. One out when I was living in Los Ang. and 3 locally here in NJ. 3 weeks ago I was driving up to the Bear Mountian lodge. The guy and his girlfriend come up and say great looking 914. I sold mine a year ago. The guy had a real passion for these. Was funny, we were both about the same age and have been wanting one since we 1st seen them. Exact same taste in cars. He also has a TR6, another car I always wanted to own. I told him about the 914club here. He seemed interested in picking one up soon. Hope he does, add another local to board.
The guy out in Los Ang, Sean met too. Pursey, worked for the Sherifs dept I think. He had like 4-5 914s in his back yard, and like 2 concours 6s in storage. Funny thing with these cars, your either totally passionate about them, or wouldn't give them the time of day.
morph
i dunno the guy didnt really say anything that would be offensive to me and im black.but i do find it odd that a business would allow someone on the phone who would say such things to just who ever.(if my dad would have been talking to him OMG he woulda freaked)It takes alot to bother me.i woulda been happy i was getting a new part for my 914!I mighta got off the phone and said "what a dork" and forgot about it.as far as buying things from A A .never had any issues with that.(i never have had to buy anything from them there usally calling me to buy items from me) wink.gif
EdwardBlume
PC isn't a bad thing as a business person. Although if you ask any business person, there's a number of things that can happen to piss people off. That's life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.