Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JOE's Hershey Emergency Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
sad.gif
Just about 30 min ago i got stuck in traffic on 83, there was an accident. I was in stop and go for about 10-15min. My car has been making a noise kinda like a compression ticking sound from the drivers side. But today it really started acting funny. The idle was dropping in and out in traffic, and when i went to move foreward each time... the car was shaking (violent) like it was running on 2 cylindrs. I kept revving it up to keep it smoothed out. When i got out of the jam, it seemed to come back once i got up to speed, but again when i hit a red light.

I am at work right now so i cant actually trouble shoot.

I did pull each wire of the plugs and it did not stumble on the drivers side rear plug. It did however stumble when i pulled the injector wire off the same cylnder
WTF.gif

Valves were just adjusted last week.

I WILL MAKE IT TO THE EVENT !!

any advise would be greatly appreaciated.

p.s.

Its raining dry.gif
TheCabinetmaker
If you still have points, check dwell and timng. High dwell( over 55) will make it run like crap.
sww914
Sounds exactly like a bad spark plug wire to me.
jsayre914
its got pertronix.
1.8 liter with L-jet

the wire had a nice arc from the wire to the engine tin when i pulled it off confused24.gif

mabey a fowled plug popcorn[1].gif
Gint
Could be a lot of things, but it sounds like ignition to me. Until you get in there you won't know. Check all of it when you get outa work. All the way to the plugs. And idle jets if carb'd, vacuum if FI.
r_towle
make sure all your fuel injectors are plugged in tight...
They run like crap in low idle and run fine when revved up.

rich
jsayre914
just made it home. chowtime.gif

that ride sucked!

it feels like im driving a lawn tractor. No power at all. Whats worse than a 1.8 liter car....

a 3 cylinder 1.8 liter car sad.gif

I am jackin it up now.
popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
Intake valve was almost 2 full turns to tight blink.gif

i will now take it for a test drive smile.gif
914itis
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif We are waiting for the results........
jsayre914
ALL 4 are BANGING!!!
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

see you guys in 6 hours

night night
sunglasses.gif
avidfanjpl
I know all about badly adjusted valves.

My car ran like crap until I found cyl 4 badly adjusted by someone else.

It even sounded like a valve was sticking.

No more so-called expert type 4 tuners.

I did better myself.

J
euro911
My wife's 1.7L ran 'OK' when we acquired it, found it had low compression in cyl# 4 and would hunt for idle until it warmed up. After a few months, I did a valve adjustment and the car really came to life (as far as 1.7's go) ... apparently cyl# 4 intake had been adjusted too tight, couldn't even fit a gauge in there WTF.gif

Glad to see you fixed your problem beerchug.gif
tomeric914
Glad you found the problem and fixed it
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 22 2011, 07:21 PM) *

Valves were just adjusted last week.

This is always an easy one to spot. Car ran great, valves adjusted, runs great cold, now won't idle/run when hot. One or many valves adjusted too tight.
jsayre914
Car ran great on the way home from hershey. I then drove 100 more miles with no problem. then i took it to work today, very fast driving.gif parked it.

got in tonight, no problems... 50 miles to my exit.... then car is shaking again SHAKING. It does not want the idle to go below 3500 rpm, it has no power and if the idle does drop below 3500 my whole car is shaking like running on 2 cylenders again.

i am pretty sure its time for a quick engine drop, pull that head slap.gif

I just want to drive it! hissyfit.gif

p.s. I am totally ready to build my 2056 from the original engine. chowtime.gif
r_towle
check the adjustment again.

Two things....did you tighten all the nuts properly and are they still tight.
AND
did the measurement change since you did the adjustment?

If its the second one...you may have a head/seat issue.

Rich
914itis
The sound system needs the other 2 cylenders to run. turn off the main switch for the amps..and you are good to go.
jsayre914
I started to drop the engine last night, but then both of my girls started barf.gif barf.gif all evening and this morning sad.gif

I got about 3 hours sleep. If everyone is feeling better tonight I will continue.

in about 1 hour I got this far

car jacked up
wheels off
cvs off
shift linkage unhooked
muffler/heats off
throttle cable off
speedo cable off
clutch cable off
fuelpump lead unhooked
voltage regu lead unhooked
engine harness unhooked
batteries unhooked

pretty sure all i have left is...

ground strap
fuel lines
unbolt and go

Next question, what exactly should i be looking for on the head/ or valves.
(dont worry I will post pics)
jsayre914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Apr 26 2011, 06:03 PM) *

The sound system needs the other 2 cylenders to run. turn off the main switch for the amps..and you are good to go.

poke.gif
VaccaRabite
You got a lot done in an hour. All that usually takes me an afternoon. I work slow.
Zach
Eric_Shea

The valve seat you dropped. wink.gif
r_towle
if you are planning to remove the heads...its obvious if you dropped a seat.
If you want to check from just the valve covers...look for a valve height that is different...

Rich
jsayre914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2011, 04:13 PM) *

The valve seat you dropped. wink.gif

read carefully my friend

i have dropped a seat before and the adjustment got really really loose.

my adjustmernt on intake cylender # 1 has gotten tighter and tighter at least 3 times in the last 20 days. Chris had said somthing a bout the possibilty of a valve stretching?? confused24.gif

i have no idea
r_towle
a seat that is getting beat into the head would also do this.

That is why I asked...what are you planning...
Gonna take the heads off or try to diagnose this via the valve covers.
Both can be done...

Rich
jsayre914
i am pulling the head either tonight or tommorow depending on kids. The head was redone 6k miles ago with new seats valves springs etc etc. I need to know what the hell happened?

headbang.gif popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif

I am so proud of you doing this on your own clap56.gif clap56.gif
jsayre914
Looks like my intake seat has been hammerd inward just as you guys thought. sad.gif Take a look. dry.gif

the head is on its way back to rimco, it has only been 6k miles since it was done. they said they would fix it for me.

your thoughts are welcome.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
the head
Click to view attachment

Number 2
Click to view attachment

Number 1
Click to view attachment
jsayre914
the seat
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

the good side

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
I see head leaks too. You really won't like the probable cause. sad.gif
Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 10 2011, 12:33 PM) *

I see head leaks too. You really won't like the probable cause. sad.gif
Zach

popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
I just checked the old thread.... YUP its the exact same seat that started this mess
WTF.gif

Last year Click to view attachment

Today Click to view attachment
type47
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 10 2011, 08:33 AM) *

You really won't like the probable cause. sad.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Cap'n Krusty
I have to repeat myself once again. There are good reasons I don't use or recommend Rimco. 'Nuf said.

The Cap'n
scotty b
Joe, my machinist down here is really good and used to own a shop building type 1 and type 4 engines in the 70-80's. RIMJOb....errrrrrr RIMCO should make good BUT, Worst case, give them to me. Danny isn't cheap, But he is damn good and a damn anal machinist. He is the ONLY guy in town I trust to do aircooled engine machining
jsayre914
so what is the verdict?

Rimco did a pisspoor job dry.gif

the head is already in the mail and they said they would fix it. Dont worry, I learned my lesson, but I have already paid this job and they need to fix it.

I always know how to pick em 051103-stupid4.gif
saigon71
Bummer on that valve seat Joe, but at least Rimco is going to fix you up. Still sucks that you had to go through all this grief though. Do you keep the batteries charged and run the stereo once in a while when the engine is out? biggrin.gif

jsayre914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 10 2011, 08:53 PM) *

Bummer on that valve seat Joe, but at least Rimco is going to fix you up. Still sucks that you had to go through all this grief though. Do you keep the batteries charged and run the stereo once in a while when the engine is out? biggrin.gif

NO chair.gif
914itis
Why r we blaming rimco? it'scaused by vibration from ........................the ...................................... piratenanner.gif
jsayre914
So...... popcorn[1].gif ........ sad.gif ........... popcorn[1].gif ......

Rimco recieved my head on Thurs 5/12/11. I spoke to patrick 11:00 am who said he would check with the machinest and call me back. No problem

4:00 I call back and the machinest says i have to pay to reweld the seat, no warrentys. offers me 15 % discount and red VIP tag to get it done the next day.

I say OK confused24.gif

Friday May 13th 3:00 (is it done??) smile.gif

Nope sad.gif It will be done Monday

Monday May 16 12:00 talk to patrick, if it is done by 3 it can ship today cheer.gif

Monday May 16 1 hour before 3.... Patrick is out to lunch. Is there anybody eles that could check on my Head? Please Hold...

popcorn[1].gif

screwy.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Sir, it dosnt look like they started it yet, I can have Patrick give you a call when he gets back from lunch.

blowup.gif

jsayre914
Just called me back 6pm May 16 two thousand and eleven

bs.gif
Tommorow for Sure.

yellowsleep[1].gif

saigon71
Man, they are giving you a good "rimming." chair.gif

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. We are only about 20 miles apart or so.

jsayre914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 16 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. We are only about 20 miles apart or so.

Hey thanks.

do you think you could pull my rockers, cut out the rust reweld and repaint the longs. If you still have time i need the rocker repainted too. beerchug.gif

Joseph

type47
You need to surf more throughly, you missed mepsteins offer

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=125841

get your car running before you get the head back driving-girl.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ May 16 2011, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 16 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Hey thanks.

do you think you could pull my rockers, cut out the rust reweld and repaint the longs. If you still have time i need the rocker repainted too. beerchug.gif

Joseph

Let me finish the one that has been on jackstands in my garage for two years first. dry.gif

Give me a shout if you want a hand with the engine work to get that thing back on the road where it belongs! driving.gif
jsayre914
Your gonna love this shit biggrin.gif av-943.gif

I got the head today!!!! shades.gif

As I am typing this, I have a excavator, 2 dumptrucks, 6 guys and a buch of various heavy equipment removing my driveway. Not just the driveway, but a good foot under it, so they can fill with rocks etc. There is a 1 foot drop from the lip of my garage down to nothingness.

Did I mention it was pouring rain...

for three more days...

lol-2.gif

They cannot even finish the job until the weather cooperates. Dont worry... I planed ahaed and moved the teener onto the street a few days ago. (I pulled it with the family car and a rope) but....

av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
the engine is still in the garage
jsayre914
This might help you understand. first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.