Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Web Design Software
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I've been tasked to do a web page.

Can someone suggest a free/shareware program for web design? I'd prefer to use something inbetween writing my own code from scrach and the cut and paste of Front Page. I have FP2002, but I'd prefer not to use that. While I'm familiar with it, the code tends to be clunky, and the pages load slowly.

Going to Office Max and buying a package isn't an option for me... so something I can download would be best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA!
-Rusty smoke.gif
Part Pricer
Take a look here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/webpubli.../fweditors.html

These are all freeware HTML editors. You should be able to find something that fits your needs.
Gint
I'm not terribly sophisticated when it comes to page design, content and layout. Look at my pages and you'll more than likely agree. But I just use Netscape Composer.

Thanks for the link Paul. One of these days when I get some free time I need to redo my stuff. I kinda want to step out of the mid 90s when I do.
vortrex
macromedia dreamweaver is the best, high end. I have a cracked version if you want it. it's 75MB.
Eddie Williams
FrontPage is the spawn of satan
campbellcj
Actually Frontpage 2003 is hugely improved and is pretty nice. I agree that the earlier versions (esp before 2000) sucked donkey dick, as Zois would say.

FYI...I read a good book about the guy who's company developed Frontpage. He was on the verge of selling the company to TimeWarner/AOL/Netscape but then Bill Gates stepped up with approx $133mil. Not bad for a couple year's work.

Dreamweaver is popular with the "pros" but may be major overkill for your project, as would the expensive Adobe stuff.

One of my guys at work is a big fan of one of the freeware editors and uses it for some pretty hardcore projects (for work & school) but the name escapes me; I can ask Monday if you'd like.
Chris914n6
I like Homesite by Allaire --> Macromedia. Pretty simple, color codes the code, some shortcuts and snipets, built in browser, nice interface. Not as complex as Dreamweaver. I also like Macromedia Fireworks, not as hardcore as Photoshop but does the job very well.
HS's like $50 or Kazaalite it.

Chris
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 15 2004, 02:51 AM)
Can someone suggest a free/shareware program for web design?

notepad wink.gif

actually, i use UltraEdit, has a few more features than notepad, but is still just a good ol text-editor ...

i have yet to see a WYSIWYG web-design editor that creates even remotely clean code and more importantly, DOES NOT fuck up inline scripting ...

moah power to VI !!!!
rolleyes.gif Andy
campbellcj
LOL, Andy you can do better than Notepad...I use a pretty nice n' cheap text editor called TextPad.

My current project is kicking my ass. I have a demo at 11am tomorrow. Yikes.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2004, 08:09 PM)
i have yet to see a WYSIWYG web-design editor that creates even remotely clean code and more importantly, DOES NOT fuck up inline scripting ... rolleyes.gif Andy

agree.gif

Chris
Pnambic
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2004, 11:09 PM)
moah power to VI !!!!

VIVA VI!!!

If I was making a web site for someone I didn't like, I would use a WYSISYG just to piss them off. If I'm designing something that I intend to keep up or that my name will be associated with, Notepad gets the job done just nicely in Windows. VI in *nix.
-P-
vi
mightyohm
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 16 2004, 08:13 PM)
LOL, Andy you can do better than Notepad...I use a pretty nice n' cheap text editor called TextPad.

I like Textpad also.
Trekkor
I also like netscape composer. Free download at netscape.com I believe. See my site below created with composter biggrin.gif only.

I'm no geek, but I get by beer.gif
campbellcj
Actually most of the code that I (er, "we") build is generated programatically. That's the ticket for any large-ish sites. The new version of our software I am working on now has approx 1300 pages with a back-end of about 200 Oracle tables and 5000 program modules/methods. It all has to be able to run fully distributed across multiple servers and platforms.

At least 2/3rd's of the code will be generated from the metadata repository in the database. In other words, the software basically "describes" and "generates" itself.

It's a friggen monster and I have a nasty headache 24x7 lately. headbang.gif

BTW it frightens me that you young guys know about vi. I first used vi in the early 80's and still use it almost daily. The commands become finger reflex actions after a while, kind of like DOS WordStar used to be on PC's....
-P-
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 17 2004, 10:20 PM)
Actually most of the code that I (er, "we") build is generated programatically. That's the ticket for any large-ish sites. The new version of our software I am working on now has approx 1300 pages with a back-end of about 200 Oracle tables and 5000 program modules/methods. It all has to be able to run fully distributed across multiple servers and platforms.

At least 2/3rd's of the code will be generated from the metadata repository in the database. In other words, the software basically "describes" and "generates" itself.

It's a friggen monster and I have a nasty headache 24x7 lately. headbang.gif

BTW it frightens me that you young guys know about vi. I first used vi in the early 80's and still use it almost daily. The commands become finger reflex actions after a while, kind of like DOS WordStar used to be on PC's....

Sounds like a lot of fun.... not!

Is there any other editor then VI? wink.gif
campbellcj
The only other "universal" one I'm aware of is EMACS. I never went there as the vi commands were already programmed into my fingers.
ThinAir
I haven't had a chance to actually try it out, but OpenOffice.org also has a composer built in and the whole suite is free. It's gotten pretty good reviews. My own time factors have kept me using FrontPage for now because there is no time to learn something else. I hate FrontPage, but for now it gets the job done.
Rusty
I sat back to watch replies... Thank you for all the information on this. I'm going to download a couple of the suggested applications and give them a try. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Trekkor
If you are looking for something that is easy and fast. Also simple to understand and upload, let me know how you like Netscape Composer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.