Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plexiglass side windows..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Ok, Im thinking that I should get a flat piece of plexiglass and cut it the same as my drivers and pass window. Maybe even taking out the mechalical mechanism and using some velcro and some other things to take out some weight.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Or a bad idea..

This will be a street car...

Just thinking aloud.

Andrew
Levi
Yup, Bad Idea all right.. biggrin.gif
Your trying to save money aren't you?? biggrin.gif
I would bet someone here has a window that they will give you a deal on.
beerchug.gif
machina
I cut all my windows from lexan. lexan is stonger and will not shatter like plexiglass.

It scratches very easily. I made the side windows using the glass part as a template and then attached an aluminum channel at the bottom to hold it in place.

Really just use the side windows for trailering and when I wash the car, otherwise I leave them out.

Mine is race car only. Don't think it would be good idea for the street.

dr
seanery
agree.gif bad, well, horrible idea for a street car. They scratch like you've never seen.
dan10101
I was just wonderin...

Im sure I can get a window from a friend for cheap (since they arnt very much anyways..)

Thanks for the advice, I was Jus dreamin....

Andrew
campbellcj
You definitely DON'T want to use acrylic or "plexiglass". It not only cracks and shatters way too easily, it is also (apparently) super duper toxic and nasty in the unfortunate event of a fire. No race orgs will allow it for those reasons.

So IFF you want to do the lightweight window thing, definitely use polycarbonate, of which GE's Lexan is the biggest brand name. There are different flavors and also coated and uncoated varieties. I just put in a Lexan rear window but it would not be advisable for (moving) door windows due to the scratch factor.
VegasRacer
Andyrew - Your car is a 73, right? I have a nice pair of tinted windows from my 74 that will work. I can deliver them to you at the WCC if you are interested (and can wait that long). Make me an offer. (The price in the AA catalog is $220 each)
Andyrew
Thats all right, I have a friend with 5 parts cars, Im certain I can find one. But if not, I'll keep you in mind.

Thanks all for the informative writups..

When i said plexiglass, I was using that as a general type.. (like Coke, or kleenex)
If indeedy I want to get light weight glass I'll go with lexan.

Andrew
morph
these are a dime a dozen, if all else fails, we have a bunch.
SLITS
Obviously not old enough to remember the plastic sliding side windows/curtains of the early British cars - (need a smiley with a white cane & dark glasses to put in here).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.