Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for plug wire solutions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Some of you may know (few of you care) that I've been converting to an SDS EM-4F system for the past few months. Progress has been painfully slow, but I'm closing in. However, I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the plug wire situation. The -F coil packs use an HEI end on them and the plugs can either have the threaded type (not sure what they're called) or an HEI. However I can't find any strait HEI ends for the plug side to get down into the engine tin, or standard T4 wire ends.
I need some cut to length wires (about 36" on the long side) with an HEI end on the coil side and some type of strait end with the engine tin boots for the plug side. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this or where to get crimpable VW plug wire ends and boots? Thanks all.
Mark D.
Mike Bellis
Most universal V8 kits come with HEI distributor ends. They also come with standard ends. Either way you have to crimp the ends on. Buy a V8 kit and a T4 kit and blend them together. Crimp the hei ends on the T4 wires,

Will this work? I might even have some HEI ends I'll give you...
BIGKAT_83

EDIT

Need to read the post before I reply.
Bob
r_towle
944 wires???

Rich
BMXerror
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 23 2011, 02:49 PM) *

...Buy a V8 kit and a T4 kit and blend them together. Crimp the hei ends on the T4 wires...

...Will this work?

Sort of. The standard 914 wires aren't long enough for my new coil pack location. However, if you were referring to a cut to length 914 kit (with separate ends and boots), I would love to know where to find those.
You did give me an idea, though. Tonight I'm gonna try disassembling my old, stock wire set to see if I can rob the ends off of them without destroying them. Then I can crimp them on whatever wires I want.
Any other suggestions?
Mark D.
Mike Bellis
You can get spools of plug wire. Mancini Racing, Summit Racing, Jegs. I don't remember where I got some...
BMXerror
What kind of setup are you running?... Ignition system, I mean.
Mark D.
BMXerror
Think I found something that'll work on Jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/73218/100...791#moreDetails
Not sure why it took me so long to find that, but thanks for your input, guys.
Mark D.
ConeDodger
I am running the same set up. My coil pack is going just aft of the relay board position. I am using Magnecor wires. McMark is making them for me in custom lengths. He has bulk Magnecor wire and will be using Bosch ends I believe. Call him. This is good stuff...
McMark
Yup, I'm ordering a bunch of stuff. Let me know by tomorrow and I get get parts for you as well. The Magnecor stuff is pretty nice and there are a lot of build your own options. They can make custom cables for you, but I'll already have the stuff and am probably a bit more familiar with the layout and needs of our engines. wink.gif

Send me a PM if you'd like me to order parts for you.
BMXerror
Not this time, Mark. I've gotta get the engine back in before I can get solid length numbers. I was more looking for the right components than a built set... That and no money right this second. headbang.gif Thanks for the offer, though. It's good that somebody is doing this for our little engines. beerchug.gif
Mark D.
McMark
Well Magnecor sells individual parts and the tool to make the wires. It's not hard and turns out very clean.
jk76.914
I'm using a Magnecore wire set that they made up for me with HEI ends at the distributor cap end. I'm pretty sure it was the same price as stock T4. I just called them and asked them to do it that way. I'm running stock D-jet, but I found that the distributor cap from '99 VW 2.0 (HEI), including the EMI shield, fits the stock D-jet distributor perfectly, so I took advantage of the free "upgrade".

(free as long as I was replacing cap and wires anyway)

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I just went to my FLAPS and bought a V8 set, cut the ends off and screwed the stock VW plug ends.

I have a spare set for next time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.