Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil lines for remote cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I have a remote oil cooler, and i was wondering what type of lines i can use to carry the oil to and from the cooler. Understandably they must be able to resist extremely high temperatures, and able to resist any corrosive properties of the oil.

Also, would transmission lines be a good solution?
Benssix
I used aero quip -12 for my lines and works great. I had at one time used soilid stainless bent up for the bottom of the car but did not car for the fit up.

Ben
campbellcj
If you do a search here for "oil cooler", you will find more than you ever wanted to know wink.gif

The braided AN lines are usually viewed as the "best" due to their strength and heat-resistance (and good looks too), but are not cheap. You can easily spend a few $hundred just on the hose and AN fittings.

Most guys use either -10, -12, or -16 sizes depending on the specific application (engine type/size and driving conditions.)

The non stainless-sheathed oil lines (usually blue) are another option, but personally I would be reluctant to use hose-barb type fittings if it were my engine at stake. Spring for the good socket-style threaded AN stuff.
IronHillRestorations
You have a few options. You can go to any place that makes hydraulic lines and they can build whatever you need. This is probably the cheapest way to go.

The next cheapest option is to get the push lock barbed fittings. The fittings are cheaper and so is the hose.

The coolest looking and most expensive is the oil line that's got the stainless braided sheath on the outside, and the premium aluminum swivel fittings. This is race car/aviation type of components and they cost. The hose is right a $8.50 a foot, and the 45 and 90 fittings are about $29 each.

The last car I built had over $300 in oil line, fittings, and the cooler.

PK cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.