Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni front strut inserts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Where is the best place to buy Koni Front strut adjustable inserts?

Rich
jjackson
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2011, 07:32 PM) *

Where is the best place to buy Koni Front strut adjustable inserts?

Rich

If you are talking about single adjust koni sports, the best price used to be Shox Shop.He used to be in the 650 range for a set of four.Have not looked or priced in a long time.If you're talking double adjustables I would recommend Ground Control.JJackson
carr914
Only One Place - Paragon Products, ask for Jason, tell him I sent you.

T.C.

jmill
Looks like the going rate is $152 for Koni Sport adjustable.

This place has them a buck cheaper than the Tire Rack.

http://ltbautosports.com/
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 23 2011, 09:16 PM) *

Only One Place - Paragon Products, ask for Jason, tell him I sent you.

T.C.

Ummm
What is the difference between the sport and the normal ones?

Rich
carr914
The Sport Yellows have a Knob that you adiust from the Top, the Regulars you have to unload the weight to adiust them manually
jmill
Different valving. Sports are for more agressive driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/brand.jsp?brand=KONI

Click on the comparing sport vs special (red)
r_towle
I have bilstiens now....not happy.
Been to harsh for street driving.

I campaigned a car for 2-3 seasons that had Koni adjustables and it was perfect....turn the knob on top with a little knob we kept in the glove box....full stiff for autox...full soft for the ride home.

Is that the Koni Sports?
We did it with weight...open the hood and turn the knob...
The thing I liked was the ride home...it was alot different from my car.

Mine, with the Bils, 23mm torsion bars...21mm antisway bar....was a bit more stiff than his....lol

I have since gone back to stock torsion bars..I still find it a bit too stiff on the street.

Rich
Eric_Shea
On Konis they all have the knob now. Sport is gas. Regular is hydraulic.
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 23 2011, 11:26 PM) *

I checked you site..no konis...

Can you suggest a comparison between the biltsteins versus the koni?

Rich
avidfanjpl
I got the bilstein sports for my 6th 914-2 liter last summer at Mr. Shox in San Diego.

I never liked Koni and had 5 sets on 5 different cars. They were unforgiving, and I think the gas strut seems to have fast reaction times to changes in pavement.

The Bilsteins are firm without shaking out my fillings. I am 220 lbs, and the car does not go down at any corner with my full weight on the fenders.

I also got 140 Weltmeisters at the same time. I think the whole set - shocks and springs - was 500 plus shipping.

The Bilstein sports lowered the car about an inch all around. I further lowered the rear by measuring and lowering the torsion arm adjusters to 1/4"

Then I put in turbo tie rods and new balljoints and had the car aligned. I have deliberate negative camber in the rear. It drives like my old go kart around any turn.

Could not be happier. The front strut inserts are green and the rear shocks are yellow, and the springs were black, just for reference. The regular Bilsteins are not as tight.

The owner was AMAZING and nice.

John

avidfanjpl
Lowered the front, not the rear. Too much Easter joy.

The torsion adjusters are on the front A Arms.

Oops!

J
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2011, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 23 2011, 11:26 PM) *

I checked you site..no konis...

Rich

Personally like the Koni yellows better than the Bilts as I drive to the events and like a little softer ride on the road. Plus you can then adjust due to weather conditions.

Then again, I've never tried the Biltsteins.
speed metal army
I just installed some red front and rear,they have rebound adjust from the top.Love them.Nice stuff. beer.gif
tod914
I think your only choice of Konis for a 914 is the yellow sport. Definetly prefer them over the Bils. Thought the Bils were too stiff. Can't speak for their newer adjustable version though. Good luck.
jjackson
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 24 2011, 07:00 AM) *

I think your only choice of Konis for a 914 is the yellow sport. Definetly prefer them over the Bils. Thought the Bils were too stiff. Can't speak for their newer adjustable version though. Good luck.

Have run sets of both on multiple cars.I must be crazy ,but always perferred the bilsteins on the street.BTW Koni adjustment is rebound only -and was designed to be increased to adjust for wear-did use adjustment for tuning like the rest also.
JJackson
sean_v8_914
If you want correct suspension dynamics, your shock valving must be paired up based on spring rate although there is some wiggle room.
Koni reds tend to be softer and thus better for street/ax dual use on stock sprung 914s of with slightly stiffer springs like 140 rear with a 19mm front bar. anything over that should be Koni sport
Koni sport on full stiff is softer than Bilstein sport so Bilsteins would be better for say 23mm front torsions ans rears over 225lbs
10jreen runs KOni yellow adj sports with 21mm torsions, Tarett Engineering front bar, 225 rear springs and a 16mm rear sway. that combination is good for consistent top 10 finish in a field of over 100 cars ...powered by a D-Jet 2.0
sean_v8_914
check out shox.com
Eric_Shea

I have since gone back to stock torsion bars..I still find it a bit too stiff on the street.

Have you tried your sway bar on the outside/full soft setting? I don't think Bilsteins are making your ride stiff.

I like both. On my 911 the Koni's were the best ride out there. Stock suspension otherwise (rubber, 15mm bar, 19mm t-bars). I now have the Koni's on the 914-6/GT project and Bilsteins on the 911.

I will tell you this... the Koni's I've seen tend to have a much higher failure rate than the Bilsteins and... they're about 2x as much to get repaired. At one time I had an entire box filled with bad Koni inserts... none on the Bilsteins.

I don't show the Koni's for the 914 because my supplier doesn't show them in stock. They have them listed for 911's which leads me to believe it's a part number issue not a supply issue. I can usually price match anyone with a link.
sean_v8_914
Eric Shea sells shocks...and threir on sale. I should have looked first

I agree with Eric. Konis have the valve at the botton. if you bottom them out they are toast. most guys go too low with their suspension and forget to install the VERY IMPORTANT bump stops

Bilstein here in Poway CA will rebuild and or custom re-valve based on spring rate. I dont recall price but I know it is very reasonable

ultimately the 10jreen will get custom valved Bilsteins but fro now that money keeps going to tire fund
r_towle
OK,
Lets say that I may have purchased the wrong bilstiens way back when....over 10 years ago.
The ones I have up front have a small round bar/tube on the bottom that looks like it is supposed to fit in the bottom of the strut to secure the bottom from moving sideways.

Well, I have been running them...and they dont git in either the 71 strut or the 73 strut (which I have now due to upgrading)

This little bar/tube on the bottom makes it so the threaded top nut never goes all the way down and IC some thread...
the struts I think rattle...cant be anything else at this point.

I ran them really low, yet they still hold tight..gotta fight to get them out...so I assume the charge is still there.

I want to get that optional soft ride back up front and have the option to go as stiff as what I have now...
I like the soft setting on the koni, but I am unsure if that is on the reds or the sports...

I will pull them out shortly and post a pic and part numbers so we can figure this out.
I was going to cut off the bar/tube on the bottom just to try it....might solve some issues.

Rich
jmill
How long have the Koni Sports (yellows) been out? Back when I had Konis they were red and your only choice was adjustable or non-adjustable. The adjustables were extend and twist jobs verses the handy dandy knob.

I bring this up because if you liked your old Konis it might have been pre-yellow.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 24 2011, 05:41 PM) *

How long have the Koni Sports (yellows) been out? Back when I had Konis they were red and your only choice was adjustable or non-adjustable. The adjustables were extend and twist jobs verses the handy dandy knob.

I bring this up because if you liked your old Konis it might have been pre-yellow.

I don't know the answer to this but I purchased yellows 7 to 8 years ago.
Eric_Shea
Koni's were all adjustable. Later models have the shaft with the knob. Early models had to be compressed fully to activate the internal adjuster mechanism at the base of the shock. You will see a stamping on the earlier shock body saying "Heavy ->" with the arrow pointing the way toward the tighter adjustment.

I don't know exactly how long the yellow gas-a-justs have been around. Long time now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.