Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ode to a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
At least until the next thing breaks wub.gif . We’ve been together 10 months, and she now has: Fresh paint with clear coat. Brakes bled, alignment done, valves set, fuel tank replaced, rust removed (all I could find), injectors cleaned, O-rings replaced, new 5 point harness good until 2006, carpet, tires, fuel filter, and probably a dozen other things.

Investment of ~$7500 and ~100 hours. We went for a spin today and it was all worth it. 315 miles of 1/3 Interstate, 2/3 914 roads. Settles in at around 3800 rpm in 5th (88mph with stock tires). Running 205/50’s so that converts to 9% slow, or actual 79mph, about as fast as you can go in a yellow car in CA without attracting unwanted attention. Stayed at that speed up an 8% grade w/o downshift, and pulled cleanly from 2000 thru 6000 in all gears (except 5th).

Used no oil and 11.2 gallons of gas ($2.46 ouch) for a little over 28mpg. Oil temp never over 190, life is good. What a car! It may not be a six, or a real Porsche, but damn. Boxster, Elise, or 7 replica is better, I’m sure, but not more fun. And then there’s that $$ thing.

So this is to all of you who helped me with my dumb questions. Thanks, nice advice. Regarding that 914 vs 911 thread, it's this club that makes the 914 the better choice. Otto, nice work. Pelican, nice parts. And to all of you with cars on jack stands, hang in there.

Now to start on the V8. Seller said it was a newly rebuilt 383ci but turns out it's a 305ci needing a new cam, bearings, rings, and valve job blink.gif . Engine is out, but should be ready for WCC.
campbellcj
Oh Howard, you shoulda known better by now wink.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.