Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To windshield or not to windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
elacore
Hello fellow 914'ers

I was wondering if I could get some input on weither or not I should keep my windshield.

I bought a $1000 914 and am currently stripping it to be a "street legal weekend track car"

As of now I have stripped EVERYTHING (most of it for sale) out of the car and am getting it ready for paint.

My son thinks it is a great idea to take the roof/side windows and windshield off to "save weight", save money by selling them and it means less masking and painting when it comes time to do that.

Personally I am worried that it wont be street legal (even though my son insists that if we put a "bubble" screen it will be. And that I dont want to be caught out in the rain (even though I wont be driving this much except to the track, at the track and back... and maybe on a nice sunny summer day)

Any input?
john rogers
As for legality, check with your DMV, don't believe anyones "opinions" about legality. As for dirt, rocks, road goop in the face, you'll get it and on the road it will be much worse than on a track.
PeeGreen 914
Please don't remove that stuff sad.gif . You can shed a great deal of weight in other places and still keep all the lines smile.gif

You can always replace the glass with lexan.
campbellcj
I believe you'd get grief about a "Ginther" type windscreen from virtually any of the track sanctioning bodies. You would have to put in a full height cage which would look terrible, negating the sans-windshield 'look', as well as put some weight back up high anyway.
whatabout1
No windshield on the street will require goggles. At least it does for me on my sand rail.

In NC a windshield is not required but working windshield wipers (2) are. wacko.gif
Nicky
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 24 2011, 01:14 PM) *

I believe you'd get grief about a "Ginther" type windscreen from virtually any of the track sanctioning bodies. You would have to put in a full height cage which would look terrible, negating the sans-windshield 'look', as well as put some weight back up high anyway.

With regards to non street/ track only cars, Are cars like these below grandfathered in or something? Or is there some kind of helmet scrub line used if the car were to end up upside down? I love the look of these cars, and wondered why some go with the high rollbars in the front. It seems rare that sprites, mgbs, triumphs, etc ever have a front high rollbar. But, maybe I'm just not noticing them.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
J P Stein
The SCCA is quite specific about a cage/rollbar for actual racing like the Red car (which looks legal to me). The config is in the rule book.

I'm thinking that the windshield delete is pretty much for trailered cars.
Bout 35 mph your unprotected eyes start watering.
brant
I believe the road race rule for SCCA was that the cars ALREADY LOG BOOKED without a windshield or upright cage were grandfathered.... but that new builds were not legal.

you definitely need to check:
1) the rules in your state DMV
2) the rules in any sanctioning body you want to run in

there is a good chance that you won't be legal in one or the other of them.
check first.

its about 20lbs or so over lightened everything else (lexan, and thin roof)

on the counter arguement... I've seen 944's shed front wheels on track. Its not fun to see a wheel come bouncing your way. I choose to leave something to stop my face from being the front line defense on track. I've seen other race cars put in full front cages and put in strips of metal infront of the driver (jail bars) to stop airborne track carnage from hitting their face. (it does happen)

brant
neilca
For any street driving keep the windshield. My helmet has a n 1/8 tjhick visor for rock and wind loads.
grantsfo
I do miss getting sprayed by race rubber on the track and its fun when big bugs hit your face shield at 100 MPH plus!
zymurgist
Having a clear barrier to keep things out of your eyes is a Good Thing.

Ask any biker who has taken a bug to the eye.
damesandhotrods
It was back in California, during the 20th century so I don’t remember all of the details, but a friend of mine was pulled over for driving a Scout with the windshield folded down. There was a grandfather clause for the old Scouts, Jeeps and others that had folding windshields. But he still lost time at work going before a judge, and from then on kept a photo copy in the glove box because he knew if did it again he would be pulled over and go through the whole thing again.
stugray
So as to not start a new thread on this subject:

What is the preferred thickness of Lexan for those of you putting in full windshield replacements?
Seabird
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 4 2014, 12:34 PM) *

What is the preferred thickness of Lexan for those of you putting in full windshield replacements?

I dont know but I can check the thickness of the one that is in my car tonight when I get to the shop if you would like.

M
brant
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 4 2014, 02:34 PM) *

its in the rmvr rule book
the thinnest version is too thin
Seabird
Mine measured out at .28" as best as I could measure it. It does not flex or appear inssuficient....then again I have never taken a hit with it. It is made a by a company named Shield something or other.

Hope that helps.

M
ChrisFoley
Shields makes a good Lexan windshield. IIRC their standard thickness is 7mm.
I think SCCA allows down to 6mm.
stownsen914
I had a 3/16" Lexan windshield in my 914 racecar before I went with the low windscreen. It bowed visibly at speeds over 100 mph, even with the metal supports on the inside. I'd do 1/4" next time.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.