Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I doing wrong?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, I have the new engine and side-shifter into the car, but I am having HELL getting the front shift rod in... I tried it with the firewall bushing already in place... it has the wrong angle(going through the hole in the engine bar) and ends up on the far right(near the brake/fuel lines and wires) I took out the firewall bushing... same thing... please do not tell me I have to drop the engine to put this one bar into place? do I?... I just wasted 2 hours on this and I'm no where closer than I was... I'm giving up for today... headbang.gif
415PB
I put the firewall bushing in and had the wife get in the car and move the shifter. While under the car, I was able to draw the rod back out with a small dental pick and with the help of the wife slowly moving the shifter. Hope this helps and good luck.
SLITS
If you didn't put the shift rod in BEFORE you installed the engine - well.........you already know.

You might try supporting the engine and dropping the engine mount bar. You could then possibly raise the front of the engine if necessary to clear the shift rod. It's been a while and I don't really remember what interferes with the bar.
dan10101
Im guessing you have the correct sideshift linkage and engine mount bar..

Asside from that, I dont know.

Andrew

(darn, used dads comp again...)
John
Since you are mentioning an engine mount bar AND are having problems installing the shift rod, I am assuming that you have a 4-cyl. Bummer....

Like was mentioned in a previous post, perhaps you can support the engine and remove the engine mount bar from the bottom of the engine temporarily to install the shift rod.

I never tried removing or installing the shift rod (front) with an engine in the car except for my 6-cyl. and there is no interference on that one, but there is no engine mount bar in the way on that one.

I have changed engine mounts with the engine in the car, so I know you can support the 4-cyl engine and remove the engine mount bar.

I wish you the best of luck.
tat2dphreak
Yes, it's a 4

well damn, that sux...

I'll get on it this week

thanks for the help guys!
JWest
I did this not too long ago. You can do it with the engine in the car, but you have to remove engine mount cross bar.
tat2dphreak
well, that's not near as bad as I thought... at least I'll remember next time... I'll also write a tech article on doing this switch... thanks for the help and support guys!! pray.gif
tat2dphreak
I got off my ass and did this yesterday, took less than an hour to pull the engine bar in and install, and put the engine bar back... thanks for your help guys... now I have to put that damn bushing back again headbang.gif I put it in last night, but it popped out when I tried to get the bar through there... I pushed too hard I guess <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.