Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: visor mount rear view mirror....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
i have long coveted the mirror that also functions as a visor mount that appears periodically on ebay, but they get bid up to crazy levels and i am a cheap bastard.

i recall that there was a thread about getting this guy to do a group/club buy but found nothing in the products section.

is this seller a member? i sure do want one since i a putting in a new windshield but i don't wanna spend $100 plus to get it. confused24.gif

HELP!!!!

muchas gracias.....
scottb
ok so that visor thing is truly crazy......

but here is what i am talking about........

ebay visor mount mirror
415PB
Dude, that Steve guy is high smoke.gif Anyway, I'm in for one those rear view mirror jobbies if we do a group buy.
seanery
$101 and the reserve not met. finger.gif
Dr Evil
He is not the guy who usually sells it, I'm pretty sure. It sounds as if he is trying to recover his cost. The other person that I have seen selling these usually starts at $ .01 with no reserve and they do get bid up way high. I want one also, but maybe when I'm rich.
Rog914
We tried to contact this guy for a group buy once. He said it would take him too long to make a few up. In other words he's making too much money selling them one at a time (About 2 per month). I remember reading somewhere on this board that it's a stock BMW (don't know what year or model) rearveiw mirrow with about a 5" steel rod bolted on for the sunvisors. I also heard that when he first started selling then they going for $50 until everyone wanted one and the price started to skyrocket. You would have thought by now one of us would have made one better by now to run this sucker out of bussiness.

Ralph

74 2.0
anthony
Why is he a sucker and why do you want to run him out of business? To me anyone making parts for our cars is doing something good for the community.
scottb
ok gents, take a look at this bimmer mirror i found on the bay.

ebay bmw mirror

i seems to look the same as the one being marketed for the 914 but without the visor post. hmmmmm..... idea.gif
Dr Evil
You are the man! I got some paypal equity built up for an experiment so I bid on it. I'll post all of my findings.
skline
It looks too long like it will be in the middle of the windsheild. I would just go looking around the local wrecking yards till I fond something that will work. In fact, maybe I will do that if I get the time later this week.
skline
QUOTE(anthony @ May 16 2004, 06:59 PM)
Why is he a sucker and why do you want to run him out of business? To me anyone making parts for our cars is doing something good for the community.

So does that mean the oil companies are being fair with us? What are they doing for our community? If I made a part for the 914 and it cost me $3.00, should I charge $300.00 for it? How long do you think I would stay in business?
East coaster
I used a BMW 2002 mirror and it works fine. You need to machine or grind off a spring mount assembly off of the back of the square mounting pad, but it's no big deal. I haven't put the visor pin in it yet, but it shoud be easy as well. Here's a pic of it mounted. I think it took all of 20 minutes to machine the back of the mount and drill two holes using the old visor mount for a guide.

BTW - it cost me 5 bucks!
Dr Evil
Well folks,
I have the answers and pictures of the BMW mirror. It is not the one that is selling for BIG $$$, but it can be changed like the 2002 one.
here is a pic of the spring assembly that needs to be ground off.
Dr Evil
Here is the comparison to the stock mount. The 2002 mirror looks like it would probably be an easier one to put the pin through, but the one I have looks more elegant with its curve. We'll see if I can make it work. It was worth the $15 experiment.
anthony
So does that mean the oil companies are being fair with us? What are they doing for our community? If I made a part for the 914 and it cost me $3.00, should I charge $300.00 for it? How long do you think I would stay in business?

You would be in business as long as people buy your products. Please go ahead and make one of these rear view mirrors for us and start selling it for $20. I'll buy one. I give this guy a nod for coming up with an idea, making the product, and marketing it. Feel free to come up with something better and sell it for less. It's the American way.
Dr Evil
You would be in business as long as people buy your products. Please go ahead and make one of these rear view mirrors for us and start selling it for $20. I'll buy one. I give this guy a nod for coming up with an idea, making the product, and marketing it. Feel free to come up with something better and sell it for less. It's the American way.
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif can I get an Ahmen!
rhodyguy
please finish it up and show us how the pins get installed. i'll be waiting.

kevin
AZ914
Hmm... now BMW mirrors are going to get bid up past $100 cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.