Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally got it running. Now a small issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I finally got my 1.7 liter running but it is making a strange noise. It is a slightly high pitch 'chirping' type noise at idle that sounds like it is coming from around the fan. It is rather annoying, but the car seems to idle fairly smooth. I will be buying a new 12 point tool to check the bolts on the fan tomorrow. Does this sound farmiliar to anyone? Could it be the belt? Could it be something internal? I am sure it will be hard to diagnose without hearing it. Any help is appreciated.
PanelBilly
I recall having an alternator best that chirped. It slipped off too. I pulled it apart and the pulley had a dent in it. Replaced both parts and noise went away.
Vysoc
Hello,

Grab a bright flashlight and open your engine compartment hatch and try to really locate the exact location of the noise while the car is running.
After that, turn the car off and make a physical examination of the fan belt area to make sure that nothing has come loose or a stick, twig has not slid into a position that would make contact with something resulting in a high pitched noise.

It worked for me, something came loose and was rubbing against the fan...I was lucky, I hope you are too

Vysoc flag.gif
euro911
Both of the alternator's mounting brackets are adjustable - make sure the crank and alternator pulleys are lined up
Drums66
......stick some hose to your ear& listen up! idea.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.