Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signals not working when fuse panel is grounded.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jakeodoule
I did a lengthy search and found no info.
As the title states the signals won't flash when the fuse panel is screwed down.
When its hanging it works fine. If I ground the fuse panel frame they no longer flash.
It is all OEM and not been touched really.
The wiring on the whole car is very original.

All bulbs light if you put on the signal switch, but do not flash.
E flashers do the same. All bulbs come on but don't flash.

If you leave the panel ungrounded all works normally? WTF.gif
All wires to panel look good and none are touching the panel.
All fuses are good and rotated for connection. Relay has been replaced.
Any Ideas? Thanks.
Spoke
Check the schematic below. 2 Fuses operate the turn signals. Grounding the fuse panel should do nothing to the flashers. A wire must be not making contact when you move the panel.

Do the flashers work? Note Fuse 11 operates the flasher when the 4-way switch is pulled.
Jakeodoule
Nope flashers react the same as turn signals.
I thought too that a wire was being disturbed during mounting the panel.
However I ran a wire from ground and while the panel is hanging and the signals are working.... I then touched the ground wire to the metal frame of the panel without moving it and the signals stopped flashing....
BTW 1976 2.0 if that matters.
Spoke
And no fuses blow? Are all the fuses ok?

I think the turn signal relay is on the fuse panel. Inspect all wires very closely.
Mike Bellis
Buy a new flasher relay. If you have the silver metal one, it has an internal short. Remove it from the fuse panel and insulate it. See if it works.
eastbay851
You may be tweaking the bundle of wires coining into the steering column when screwing down the fuse block. Are symptoms there when you hold the fuse block tight to its home. Have somebody hold it there while you wiggle the bundle going into the RIGHT side of the column.
Jakeodoule
Found it.
The rubber socket for the relay was torn where its mounted on the fuse panel. When the panel was mounted the clearance is too tight above it and it pushed down on the relay and cut the socket. Then it shorted to ground. Did not blow a fuse, just caused them not to blink.
Man is my back sore. Thanks for the ideas.
Cheers. beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.