Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody remove the jack tube plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrHyde
I've taken out the jack tube and most of the plate around it is all gone now ( what was left of it from the rust), but there is still a strip that it spot welded ontop of the frame rail. I can't seem to get at it. I don't want to cut out the rear quarter panel as its in good shape and don't want to mess with something that isnt broken or rusted.. I'm not going to be using new jack tubes and will be eventually welding a plate over where the jack tube goes ( once rust is cleaned out ofcourse ). Has anyone managed to take the whole jack tube plate out without cutting into the rear quarter ? If so, how ?Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Mike
r_towle
Use everything you have...
I used a long blade on a sawzall, but I can thread a needle with a sawzall.

If you want to out a new piece in, weld the bottom and both sides.
the top of the jack plate is up under the sill....so you need to get horizontal, or leave it.

Rich
avidfanjpl
I used a longblade sawzall as well.

It is the only way to do it, and also I used a really long chisel and a hammer.

Took me about 4 hours per side. Then wheeled the flanges off at my welder's shop.

No other way around it.

You have to have the car way up on jacks to lay under it and get at it right.

Good luck!

John
cantley914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Apr 24 2011, 06:03 PM) *

I used a longblade sawzall as well.

It is the only way to do it, and also I used a really long chisel and a hammer.

Took me about 4 hours per side. Then wheeled the flanges off at my welder's shop.

No other way around it.

You have to have the car way up on jacks to lay under it and get at it right.

Good luck!

John

He's right, it's the only and best way. Can be done but you need patience.
By the way Mike, where are you in Ontario, I'm just across the pond in Qc.

Steph

sawzall-smiley.gif beerchug.gif
my928s4
I found this worked for the spot welds on top of the plate

Click to view attachment

There may be a better way to do this but when welding in the new plate you need to make angle cuts above the jack tube, bend back the metal and weld. You can just see the cut lines in this photo.

Click to view attachment

There may be other and better methods but these are the tools I had to hand. Enjoy, as others mentioned is a PIA.
MrHyde
I have the day off work today soooo.. smile.gif picked up a new air drill and some longer sawzall blades and I'm going to lock myself in the garage for a while. smile.gif

Cantley... I'm in Cambridge. About an hour west of Toronto.. Usually in Quebec atleast once a year since my wife is french and still has some family there.. Do you ever come Toronto way ?
MrHyde
Thanks guys... it took about 5 hours or so.. with lunch and a couple beers but they're both out... hammer/chisel and an air grinder.. Picked up some long blades for the sawzall, but I had already taken off too much to use it.. oh well.. more tools. smile.gif
Cheers
cantley914
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Apr 25 2011, 06:48 AM) *

I have the day off work today soooo.. smile.gif picked up a new air drill and some longer sawzall blades and I'm going to lock myself in the garage for a while. smile.gif

Cantley... I'm in Cambridge. About an hour west of Toronto.. Usually in Quebec atleast once a year since my wife is french and still has some family there.. Do you ever come Toronto way ?

Mike,
Dis bonjour à ta femme pour moi!
I don't go to TO. too often, was there once for work to give training. Don't go that way either too often except when I went to Niagara falls & another time I took a trip to Eaton Rapids MI at Restoration Designs. Next time you come to Qc drop me a PM we could meet for a cold one...or two!

Good luck with your car!

Steph beerchug.gif
MrHyde
Nice... Well now, if you need to goto Restoration Design, they are about 30-40 minutes from my house. smile.gif I will most likely be going to QC sometime this summer.. Ottawa for sure...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.