Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick transmission inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I initially was doing this to show to my clinic participants, but I figure that everyone can benefit from this information. I was doing this on Kansas914's gear box and just happened to find that his input shaft bearing was no more (see pics).

Step one can be done in two ways. I choose to use a tapered punch and place it in a bolt hole with the tip pressing against a rib. The 19mm bolt in the flange should not be torqued very much so this is not an issue. If the drift starts to bend significantly, switch to method #2.

Method #2 is to put two bolts in the flange and use a bar of some sort, down low on the flange surface, against the bolts.
Click to view attachment

Once the 19mm bolt is removed you just pull the flange out. Remove all the cover bolts and tap the cover at the arrowed locations to remove it.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Once the cover is removed you can now inspect the pinion (money shot). If the pinion shows wear that is not too big of a deal. It is a problem if your pinion is galled (gouged).

The camera made this one look worse than it is. If you can feel the streaks, it is gonna howl and wear out even more and faster.

The remnants of the input shaft bearing is pointed out. This is better to find now before more damage is done.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Here is where the bearing parts should be.
montoya 73 2.0
That looks familiar. I believe mine was broken in half and had to be replaced at the clinic. Luckily it stayed in place.
scotty b
glad you made it home beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
Holy Crap! The car sat for 15 years - then I cranked it up and drove it around the block in 2003. Clutch was frozen - or so I thought - so I started it in gear - then hit the gas and it broke free - well I guess something did - but the clutch worked after that though it slipped like a bitch.

So what is your professional prognosis?

Thanks Mike!
jimkelly
so that bearing is optional -sweet : )
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 24 2011, 09:05 PM) *

Did you have doubts dude? WTF.gif He was driving my car. My cars go everywhere and always reach their destination.

poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif
Dr Evil
Mike, I'll talk with you for options. I have replacements, no biggie. I am on 24hr OB call today, though...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 25 2011, 08:59 AM) *

Mike, I'll talk with you for options. I have replacements, no biggie. I am on 24hr OB call today, though...

Thanks Doc - You know me - no hurry - glad my gearbox could be used as a cadaver for the clinic!

Cheers!
zymurgist
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 25 2011, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 24 2011, 09:05 PM) *

Did you have doubts dude? WTF.gif He was driving my car. My cars go everywhere and always reach their destination.

poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif slap.gif poke.gif

Because you own a tow dolly?
warrenoliver
I am on 24hr OB call today, though...
[/quote]

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
KELTY360
[quote name='warrenoliver' date='Apr 25 2011, 08:39 AM' post='1466235']
I am on 24hr OB call today, though...
[/quote]

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
[/quote]

Better watch what you ask for.....you just might get it. shades.gif
Root_Werks
icon_bump.gif

PNW Tranny Clinic is only a couple days away. This is a good thread to read.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.