Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Built a car dolly this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
This will make it so much easier to roll the car around the garage while the suspension goes to the powercoater. In the past the car sat on wheel dollys and I pushed it around that way.

Now the fun begins - trying to remember where everything goes.

TGF9W (Thank God For 914 World)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
my928s4
Looks great, the only advice I would give is get some bigger wheels, I used similar sizes and it worked great to begin with but when I added more parts (weight) it got more cumbersome.

BTW, love the paint.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(my928s4 @ Apr 25 2011, 09:33 AM) *

Looks great, the only advice I would give is get some bigger wheels, I used similar sizes and it worked great to begin with but when I added more parts (weight) it got more cumbersome.

BTW, love the paint.

I hear ya. These wheels are casters from my 4 post lift and are 6" with bearings - I was thinking they were overkill but you are probably right. I can drop my lift down on the caster arms and move the entire lift around the garage. I only plan to use the dolly until such time as the suspension is back and bolted up - then I will pass the dolly to the next guy in line in the local car club (914 getting a Suby motor). No drivetrain will be in the car on this dolly. I think the balance would be off a bit at that point for a dolly. This is very temporary - I hope!
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif Looks great Mike.
MDG
Good job on the dolly.

Car looks Fantastic!!
RFoulds
Good job!

2 questions though.

What car is in the driveway in the reflection?

How long have the tiles been down on the floor and will they hold up to jackstands, or do you put plywood underneath the jackstands?

Kansas 914
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Apr 25 2011, 12:16 PM) *

Good job!

2 questions though.

What car is in the driveway in the reflection?

How long have the tiles been down on the floor and will they hold up to jackstands, or do you put plywood underneath the jackstands?

The tiles have been down 2 years - I have a commercial floor company come and and polish the garage once a year - it is overdue rigt now. I don't use anything under jackstands (though I rarely use them - since I have a lift) but my thoughts are if I damaged a tile I could just replace it - since they cost 63 cents each and I have spares of each color.

That is an FX45 in reflection (wife's car) - it looks more exotic in the reflection than it really is I guess. Here is the rest of the herd:

Click to view attachment
proto31
The car looks great! I like the dolly, I had built a similar dolly a while back for my original 6. Great tool, the only thing I would not is that I think you'll need either some bars linking the top portions of each upper post together or some cross bars. Once you start adding things you'll be getting in the car, tugging on things etc, those 1' steal post might want to bend... Just my .02.

Dan
boogie_man
Wow !!! That look awesome !!! I like that color too. Inspiring to say the least.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(proto31 @ Apr 25 2011, 01:10 PM) *

The car looks great! I like the dolly, I had built a similar dolly a while back for my original 6. Great tool, the only thing I would not is that I think you'll need either some bars linking the top portions of each upper post together or some cross bars. Once you start adding things you'll be getting in the car, tugging on things etc, those 1' steal post might want to bend... Just my .02.

Dan

I was thinking I might need to add some triangle gussets on the uprights. I used 1 1/2 square tubing (1/8th in thick)
championgt1
Is that willow green? drooley.gif
rick 918-S
That color is outragous! wub.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Apr 25 2011, 01:17 PM) *

Is that willow green? drooley.gif

Yes sir - Willow Green.

I have owned this car since 1978 - original color - but new paint after 14 months in the paint shop. Not too many Willow Green survivors these days - most get a color change.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 25 2011, 01:19 PM) *

Rick,

You should see it in the sun - it is like it got plugged in and turned on!

My painter did an amazing job. He took it down to bare metal and brought it back to life.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 25 2011, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 25 2011, 01:19 PM) *

Rick,

You should see it in the sun - it is like it got plugged in and turned on!

My painter did an amazing job. He took it down to bare metal and brought it back to life.

I'm looking forward to it. I hope to be down this summer some time. We shall see... shades.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 25 2011, 01:25 PM) *

I'm looking forward to it. I hope to be down this summer some time. We shall see... shades.gif

I hope you do and drive Sandy's Ravenna down!!
URY914
Nice job Mike! beer.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 25 2011, 05:25 PM) *

Nice job Mike! beer.gif

Thanks Paul,

It has been a 33 year restoration project... At least you have driven your most of its life! My has been on jackstands for most of the 33 years.
Gint
Nice looking 914 too Mike!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.