Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now it wont start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
The car ran nice (except for carb leak) untill I ran out of gas. Stupid me not thinking that I ran out of gas kept cranking untill battery was dead. Did notice the cables from the battery were hot latter. Brought the battery home and gave it a charge. Next day put about a gallon of petro in the tank and it cranked maybe twice. Then I just got clicking from the starter. what the f*-#k did I do the car now? headbang.gif
Fatboy007
Im having same problem...any advice
Spoke
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ May 17 2004, 10:06 AM) *

Then I just got clicking from the starter. what the f*-#k did I do the car now?

The clicking usually means your battery is not at full charge and is likely very discharged. You need to charge the battery more. This has nothing to do with the fuel. What type of battery is it?

Next time if the car doesn't start after 20, 30 seconds of cranking, it isn't going to start. Figure out what's wrong and save the battery.

Once you get the battery fully charged, put more than 1 gallon of fuel in the tank.

Always avoid running low on fuel. In old gas tanks, when really low on fuel, the sloshing around of the fuel stirs up sediment at the bottom of the tank which is then sucked into the fuel filter and could cause it to clog.

A curious question: why were you so low on fuel?

I don't let my fuel tank get less than 1/2 full before refueling. These 40+ year old cars are hard enough to keep running and rolling the dice to see how low in fuel you can run is just asking for problems. Sorry for the rant. Good luck. beerchug.gif
thelogo
I am the worst mechanic i know but i always thought that just a
Click meant that the starter is non op smoke.gif
Rand
The "click" in my experience (assume obviously that it's fully charged) is most often dirty battery terminals. Clean both posts and the insides of the clamps, re-attach firmly, and see if it's better. It's free and needs to be done anyway, so...
iankarr
agree.gif
Check your connections. It's possible that when you hooked everything back up, it wasn't as tight or clean as it should be. Wait...that didn't sound right wink.gif

Or...

I wonder if it might be your ignition switch. Putting pressure on it long enough to drain the battery may have made a weak switch worse.
JOEPROPER
Check the battery for proper voltage. (12.6), inspect connections, Test for voltage at the starter while in the crank position. If everything pans out as required, then the starter is the problem. If not, then track back. Voltage drop test across the ignition switch. Good Luck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.