Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about 6 swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrHyde
Just a quick question becuase... well... I don't know and I want to .. smile.gif

Do all 6 conversions require a front mounted oil cooler ? Even a 2.0 or 2.4 or something similar??

Thanks,
Mike
mepstein
No, it's not a have to but maybe a want to. The stock 914-6 2.0 never had a cooler and some people say only a 3.0 and bigger need it. But a lot depends on where you are and how you drive. Will you ever get stuck in slow moving traffic for an hour on a 95 degree day?
SLITS
Most of the people I have talked to say that it is mandatory on anything 2.4 & above.

My personal experience is with 2.7s and the answer is yes. Not necessarily a front mounted but nonetheless an auxillary cooler.
whatabout1
It also depends on cooling. More spark advance and more compression = more heat.

My 2.7 RS heats the oil enough for the oil thermostat to send oil up front.

Mepstein just hit post 911 shades.gif (Now you have to plan your next 3 posts carefully.)
MrHyde
I'm just toying with the idea... wink.gif
with T4 main bearings in such short supply... by time I crack my motor open to have a lookie next year I hope there will still be some availability.

The motor ran fine when I pulled it a couple months ago.. I didnt do a compression test ( DOH! ) but the main problem it has is both exhaust studs are pulled on one cylinder and some DAPO welded the friggin heat exchanger to the head... GRRRR
So once I have my parts car stripped and I have room to put the engine up on a stand I'll pull the head and try to fix this mess... and welll... since I'm in there.. (divert wifes attention away ) maybe rebuild it to a 2056 or 2270.
If the main bearings are a PITA to aquire, I may just work on stuffing a 6 into it. I just dont feel like running an oil cooler up to the front. Meh... its all a pipe dream right now untill next year .. smile.gif
mepstein
Even if you have to pay triple for main bearings, it will still cost you alot more $ to switch to a 6.

912 smile.gif
jim912928
I'm running a 3.2l without an auxiliary cooler....so far. I've only got about 60 minutes cumulative drive time with this six (longest drive was 30 minutes of stop and go and freeway) and the temp gauge never went beyond about 185. I'm also not in the hottest part of the country.
moparrob
Just do it, it's not a big deal. Check the link.

my cooler install

You'll need to find an RX-7 cooler (plentiful on ebay) fabricate a bracket, and run lines to the external thermostat in the rear. Nothing too challenging.

I ended up going with thermostatically controlled fans, but that is a bit over the top.
Cairo94507
Aside from that, when it comes to six motors specifically, overheating can be very expensive. Install one and then you never have to worry about it. Just my 2 cents.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.