Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I think Janky is the technical term for:

My white w/yellow stripe wires don't seem to get any + juice. As a workaround somewhere ~15yrs ago I ran a toggle that turned the fog lights on/off via a generic switch mounted under the dash running a new wire out to the foglights. I now want them to be wired correctly and just maybe even using the J-West kit or the other excellent "how to" write-ups on this site.

But, first things first - why don't the white w/yellow stripe wires produce any + juice?

Am I missing soemthing? headbang.gif
RickS
Power at the switch? Power at the fuse? Is the relay still good - try swapping with another. Your ground good? Did a PO snip the w/y wires?

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 25 2011, 07:29 PM) *

I think Janky is the technical term for:

My white w/yellow stripe wires don't seem to get any + juice. As a workaround somewhere ~15yrs ago I ran a toggle that turned the fog lights on/off via a generic switch mounted under the dash running a new wire out to the foglights. I now want them to be wired correctly and just maybe even using the J-West kit or the other excellent "how to" write-ups on this site.

But, first things first - why don't the white w/yellow stripe wires produce any + juice?

Am I missing soemthing? headbang.gif

Comanchepilot
My money is on the relay attached to the fuse panel. Substitute with a known good unit.
ptravnic
QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 25 2011, 10:08 PM) *

Power at the switch? Power at the fuse? Is the relay still good - try swapping with another. Your ground good? Did a PO snip the w/y wires?

To which switch are you referring?

The relay is good. I swapped in a headlight relay to the fuse box relay where the white/yellow wires live and same story. Both relays were good.

Ground checks out OK.

I don't see any signs of snipped wires, but anything is possible...
Mike Bellis
The fog light switch gets its power from the headlight switch. That power goes to the relay coil. The ground from the relay coil is connected to the high beam fuse. That is why they only work when the low beams are on. The power from the relay to the fog lights comes from fuse 5.

If you want the fog lights to work any time, remove the White/blue on the relay from the high beam fuse and ground it. Then take the Grey/Red wire from the coil and send it to constant power. Very easy to do...

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 25 2011, 08:27 PM) *

Ground checks out OK.

The relay ground is actually the high beam hot lead. When the high beams are OFF, the wire rests at ground. When the high beam turns ON, the wire goes hot AND the fog light relay turns off
ptravnic
Gents - Many thanks for the assistance.

If I understand things correctly, the fog lights should come on when the parking lights come on, right?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 25 2011, 09:02 PM) *

If I understand things correctly, the fog lights should come on when the parking lights come on, right?

Yes. Or Low beams but not high beams
RickS
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 25 2011, 09:02 PM) *

Right, if your pull switch works (the one inside the cockpit - green). If the switch is bad (not very likely) no nuttin.
ptravnic
cool. The ground canceling out when the high beams go on is also good to know but for my tests I'm just trying to get them to come on when the parking lights get turned on (the headlight switch out just one "notch").

ptravnic
So I shuffled out to the garage loaded w/my new information and am puzzled by this:

When I turn on the parking lights or headlights nothing happens with the fog lights.

HOWEVER, when I tap the top of the uncovered relay, the fog lights come on. They will come on simply by initiating the relay (pressing its exposed top) no matter what position the lights are in - even if the key is out of the ignition...

Click to view attachment

I swapped the relay with the headlight relay - both pop up the headlight just as they are supposed to...
WTF.gif headbang.gif hissyfit.gif chair.gif
abnrdo
Could be the relay socket. They relay may not be seating correctly.
Mike Bellis
You need to track the coil wires from the relay. Terminal 85 & 86
ptravnic
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Apr 26 2011, 12:48 AM) *

Could be the relay socket. They relay may not be seating correctly.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 26 2011, 01:20 PM) *

This is what I was thinking after sleeping on it. Something must be going on with the wires leading into the relay.

I'll follow up later once I have a chance to dive back into electrical hell... happy11.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 26 2011, 01:20 PM) *

Got it - Post #86 was not getting juice. This is the white w/yellow striped wire going into the the relay. As a workaround I piggybacked one of the headlight switch wires (gray w/red stripe) onto the white w/yellow stripe wire before it goes into the relay and voila! the fog lights are working like they are supposed to. They come on when the parking lights and low beams are on and turn off when the high beams are switched on. piratenanner.gif

I may be over analyzing this, but is there a wire on the headlight switch that is best to piggyback off if I want the lights to operate as stock?

Here's a pic of the headlight switch wires where I circled the one that I piggybacked off of (piggyback not in pic):
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
There is a wire from the fog light switch to the head light switch. Should be Black/Blue. It goes to terminal 56 on the headlight switch. You can run it to the fuse panel if you want them to work without the headlights.
ptravnic
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 26 2011, 10:35 PM) *

There is a wire from the fog light switch to the head light switch. Should be Black/Blue. It goes to terminal 56 on the headlight switch. You can run it to the fuse panel if you want them to work without the headlights.

I'll give that a shot and will report back.

You have been a saving grace on this! pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.