Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Drop in Indy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm off to Houston tomorrow. Please hold my birthday presents til I get back wink.gif
I'll return Sunday night. I'm thinking about doing an engine drop the next weekend. I think that's Memorial weekend.

Is anyone in the area interested in helping? I'm flexible with the day if one day suits folks better than the other.

lemme know.
Pnambic
Count me in. I think my schedule is flexible that weekend.
smash.gif
maf914
From your topic title I thought you were refering to the shortage of entries at Tony's Memorial Day party! laugh.gif
indydad
Tony may have to take some advice from Bubba Mike Helton on "Field Fillers". Oh sorry, NASCRAP doesn't do that, do they?
seanery
car looks good jerry.
indydad
Thanks Sean. THe car pictured is not mine, but mine will look like it, wheels, color and so forth, soon I hope.
old dad
Doug Leggins
I'll be at the race on Sunday, smile.gif

I think that I could help anytime other than Sunday morning/afternoon.

You got the necessary tools?

Beer
2 floor jacks
Beer
Jack stands
Beer
CV Tool
Beer
seanery
I have

2 floor jacks
beer
2 jackstands
beer
beer

I need:

engine stand
cv tool

can I get a Harbor Freight engine stand?
do I need an adapter?
Doug Leggins
I have a bench mount engine stand. I've never used it. Got it with the first 914 that I bought. You can use it if it will work for you.

I also have a CV bolt tool.

Kinda odd - the last engine drop that I did, I was surprised that the cv bolts were regular allen head bolts not the "star" type. They were the only ones that I ever had trouble removing. Ended up cutting one of them off with a dremmel tool.

Why are you dropping the engine?
seanery
While running at 6k rpm I missed the 4th gear upshift and did a 2nd gear downshift.
It made for a dramatic end to a fun weekend at the track. ohmy.gif
kafermeister
Sorry Sean. Boss just said no. Better click the send button as she's standing next to me.
seanery
haha!

maybe next time!
seanery
ok, who's in?

Saturday works best for me, but I'm flexible.
Pnambic
I have a graduation party to go to for a family friend on Saturday in Avon from 2 to 5. So I could help out in the morning or later in the afternoon (I'm not planning on staying the full time). Or I'm open Sunday afternoon.
TheCabinetmaker
Damn Sean, if I had lots of time and/or money, I'd come help. I love pulling motors. wacko.gif
Pnambic
Doug, do you need an adapter for your engine stand? I thought the Harbor Freight needed an adapter.... confused24.gif
seanery
I got a 4 wheel utility cart rated at 660 pounds yesterday.
Doug Leggins
I need to check on timing. I've got a family gathering on the east side of Indy on Saturday.

My engine stand is really an "engine mount" that attaches to a workbench. I can get a pic later.

I've used the 4 wheel carts a few times. They work well.
Doug Leggins
I need to be near Post and Brookville around 3:30 Saturday. If Saturday is the day, I can help in the morning/early afternooon.

With the right tools and a bit of luck a motor drop should not take too long. I've dropped one out by myself in about 2 hours. I did have the car over a pit to get everything on the bottom - this was a huge help!
seanery
Post & Brookville is 10 - 15 minutes away.

What time should we start so you can be presentable at your necessary time?
I've never done this before, so this is gonna be greek to me.

I have helped put a -6 in, but that was easy, we just lowered the car on a lift around the motor and did the 4 bolts and voila.
Doug Leggins
Maybe as early as 9:30?

Anyone else gonna show and twist a wrench?

Damn - 9:30 is a bit early to drink beer. Might have to see if I can work on a car without - lol
seanery
that sounds good to me. Dan, how does that work for you?
seanery
we could do Bailey's and Coffee beerchug.gif
Pnambic
Haha, a little Crown Royal to get the blood pumping and then twist the wrenches. I'll be there.
seanery
Map to my house

My address is:
1305 N. Leland Ave
Indianapolis, 46219
317 322 1047
Engman
Damn - you just need to live a LIttle closer..... can't be there but I will try to get you something for the rebuild - my first try was a wash.

Just remember to check everything twice to make sure everything is disconnected before you drop the engine.

btw - pep boys or auto zone sells the cv joint spline tool in a set of them for about 10-12 bucks.

M
seanery
Sweet, thanks for the info Mark. Once the engine is out your new product will go in. I'll let you know how the install goes. I think I'm gonna cover the label sticker with clear tape.
Gint
Sounds like you're gonna have fun guys. Good luck Sean!
seanery
are we good for tomorrow?
Doug Leggins
I will be there tomorrow at 9:30.
Pnambic
I'm there. smile.gif
Doug Leggins
I'll bring a CV tool. Need me to bring any other tools?
seanery
I've got a good basic set, but if there are any other specialty tools needed that would be great.
seanery
A Big Thank You to Doug & Dan for helping me out with the motor this morning.

Dan, I'm sorry you were late getting to your afternoon event. I hope you didn't get in too much trouble.

Doug, I hope you made it on time to your afternoon event.

I really, really appreciate all of the help and experience you two offered.
Pnambic
Me? Get in trouble? You just need to know how to tell the woman how its gonna be. wink.gif

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find some sheets and a pillow for the couch... <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.