Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumb 911 Strut question-Clamp nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
This one is dumb.

So, I've got this great 911 front suspension (thanks Eric!) and I'm test fitting everything. I put the hub on the knuckle and put the outer bearing and washer in. Then I put the clamp nut on (finer threads than the 914-4 strut) and it starts to grab the threads, but doesn't really. So, I tighten down the clamp... all the way and I still can't get the nut to grab the threads (it does a little, but not enough and there's no gap left in the clamp nut to tighten it so that it clamps onto the threads).

So, what am I missing? I've got the hub all the way seated and the bearing is fully installed.

Could/should I buy a new clamp nut or just remove some material so that it has further to squeeze?
ss6
Could be you have strut from an earlier year and a clamp nut from a later? Porsche, in their infinite wisdom tweaks dimensions occasionally. For example, a quick look at PET shows different part numbers for clamp nuts for a 1972 hub vs a 1984 hub. Try to find the part number on the strut.

I would NOT fool around with modifying the clamp nut(s) you have, there is obviously a fitment issue there, and you don't want any chance that nut stress-cracks and fails on you, ie on the road.
Eric_Shea
Mystery may be solved...

Measure the threaded portion of the spindle. I had to go to HPH to sort through their bin and get a couple of spindle nuts that were my size. I may have your old ones.

There are 14mm and 16mm (me thinks). The ones I had to buy were 16mm fine thread for my Koni struts...

Let me know and I'll scour the garage.
groot
That may explain it.

I'll measure tonight...
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 18 2004, 02:00 PM)
Mystery may be solved...

Measure the threaded portion of the spindle. I had to go to HPH to sort through their bin and get a couple of spindle nuts that were my size. I may have your old ones.

There are 14mm and 16mm (me thinks). The ones I had to buy were 16mm fine thread for my Koni struts...

Let me know and I'll scour the garage.

Same problem here. I replaced a set of Bilsteins with Konis this weekend, went to tighten up the bearings and whoops way too big of a nut. PET lists 2 nuts, an M16 and M18. I assume I've got the M16 on the Konis. I went and bought a pair of 914-4/bug nuts at the FLAPS ($10), and they're the right size, but too coarse. I've been meaning to pick up a pair anyway. Ended up buying a pair from Stoddard at $45 a piece (+ thrust washers). blink.gif There's a Porsche tax in there somewhere.
groot
The thread measures out to be M16x1 (finer than fine....) on my struts. But, I have to say that I don't think the clamp nuts I have are for M18, but I could be wrong.

3liter914-6
Did the new clamp nuts solve the issue?
Eric_Shea
That's what my spindles are as well. Mystery not solved... sad.gif

The only thing I can recommend is have Brad go through that box of them they have upstairs. Rich won't let him rob them off complete struts but they do have a few up there in the box (second floor by the window). cool_shades.gif

And yes, for me the different nuts solved the issue.

The only one's I found around here were 914's

Sorry...
3liter914-6
QUOTE(groot @ May 19 2004, 07:29 AM)
3liter914-6
Did the new clamp nuts solve the issue?

I hope they solve the issue, but don't know yet, they're supposed to show up today. The nuts I ordered were M16X1 and carry a 914-6 part number 914 341 671 00.

Adam
Eric_Shea
The 911 PET shows the same 914 341 number...
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2004, 12:58 PM)
The 911 PET shows the same 914 341 number...

Right, these are Koni assys. off of a '73 911S I'm talking about, I was just saying that the part must have been introduced on the 914/6 owing to the 914 prefix. They just showed up, fit perfectly--except Porsche sells these things for $45 without the stupid hex screw, so add another who knows how much to the item. I'm stealing the ones out of my bilstein clamp nuts, but the bug screws might work ok too.
Eric_Shea
except Porsche sells these things for $45 without the stupid hex screw, so add another who knows how much to the item.

Precisely why I paid a visit to HPH last time I was in town.

There are some new parts I'll gladly spend the cash on... a $90.00 set-of-fucking-nuts NOT! Way too stupid pricing.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2004, 03:53 PM)
except Porsche sells these things for $45 without the stupid hex screw, so add another who knows how much to the item.

Precisely why I paid a visit to HPH last time I was in town.

There are some new parts I'll gladly spend the cash on... a $90.00 set-of-fucking-nuts NOT! Way too stupid pricing.

Yup. Unfortunately I didn't think about the differences in spindles before I got everything installed, there's nothing like HPH within 100+ miles, and I needed the wheels back on the ground last week, so $90 and some of that new KY warming jelly later I'm able to bolt things back together. Never forget how lucky you SOBs are. In this area if it's not domestic, good luck. I went to the parts store last night to get some generic brake lines, some guy bought a pair of rebuilt F150 calipers...$9 a piece, I almost cried.
groot
I agree the pricing is out of hand. That's why I was thinking a little strategic grinding.......

Pelican shows: "Front Wheel Clamp Nut, 911/911 Turbo (1974-89) C-341-673-00 $33.50," which is still unreasonable, but cheaper.

Are you gents thinking this is for the Bilstein struts and hence not the M16x1?
Eric_Shea
Call Brad... 650-364-6234. Tell him you want the same spindle nuts I picked up a couple of weeks ago. No grinding and not $70 - 90 clams.
groot
So, I broke down and bought some "914 341 671 00" clamp nuts, since it's a race car and I don't need these parts to fail because I saved a few bucks.

They don't fit. I can almost get one of them to grab the threads if I spread it out, but it doesn't thread on more than 1/2 of a thread.

I'm assuming none of you had to heat up the nut to get it on, right? I'm guessing these nuts won't work for these struts.
Eric_Shea
There's two different thread patterns from what I understand. They should screw right on. No heat needed. My Koni struts have a very fine thread. I don't "think" the Boges have that fine of a thread.

Damn, I wish I had those nuts. I'm coming up there Thursday.

Did you try Brad or Rich? Here's why I ask: I'm fairly certain they have a pair of 911 Boge struts laying around there. I know they have both Bilstein and Koni struts there. I'd call Brad and see if he could match a pair to a set of Boge struts and then ship them out. confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
BTW... used or new, I don't think there's any difference on that part (other than the weight of your wallet) biggrin.gif . I've never seen one fail.
brant
Eric,

I litterally skimmed this thread so If I'm missing something please forgive me...

I don't know which thread pitch they are... but I do know that the 944's used the same part number nut as some of the 911's..

I put together 3 911 front ends and I can't remember exactly which one it was... but I think It was on the SC parts I was installing when I was also missing these spindle nuts....

I checked pet and they were the right ones... and then I contacted one of the 944 places and got a pair of these nuts sent for $5+ shipping....

hope that helps some.
brant
groot
I hear you Eric, but the nuts I had are failed. They were oblong and did not hold torque.

The thread pitch matches and I'm still scratching my head.....
Eric_Shea
I hear you Eric, but the nuts I had are failed. They were oblong and did not hold torque.

OK, so I've heard of one set that's failed... wink.gif

Very bizzarr Kevin. With such a long thread engaugement and the locking allen I've never seen a failure.

Have you tried a die on the spindle? This is just too wierd. You know there's a left and right, correct? (drivers side goes on counter clockwise, passengers side goes on clockwise... I think) confused24.gif
groot
Hmmmm. The new nuts are the same part number, therefore they should not be handed, right?... unless I got two RHs.....

Anyway, I ran home over lunch to get the part number off of the struts and they are BOGEs. I gave the part number to my new parts supplier and he'll get me the write ones... hopefully.

BTW... I suspect these nuts failed due to overexuberance on behalf of the operator. I think they tightened the crap out of them and they stretched.
groot
For those keeping score at home....

The 914 341 671 00 nuts I bought (made in Germany with a PORSCHE Quality control footnote on the wrapper) were the wrong size. I drilled them out and tapped them with a M16x1 tap and they now work beautifully.

Now my car is finally sitting on it's own wheels, rather than jack stands.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.