Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sarge746
I have an extra Targa Top for my 914. I am thinking of putting in a sun roof or moon roof. Does anyone have experience in this or know of a good roof to use?
TheCabinetmaker
To each thier own Sarge, but the question "why" comes to mind. It takes about 30 seconds to store the top. I can do it at a stop light before it changes back to green. To see the sun or moon? Just take the top off and you'll se it better. So you can see the sun through the rain? I've seen a dozen or so done, and none of them looked like they were done professionally. No matter how good of a job you do, its still looks like a hack job. Especially the silicone that sticks out from the seam.

That said, if you got an extra top, why not?
kfish914
I have an extra top also and was thinking of sanding it smooth to paint and adding the biggest sun roof I could find, or make one out of acrylic. A poor man's Saratoga top if you will.
However, I agee I have not been able to think of a way of getting to not look like some one just cut a hole in the roof and slaped in a sun roof in the back yard while drinking large amounts of beer late at night cuz they thought it would look cool.
beerchug.gif drunk.gif idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif w00t.gif... the next morning... icon8.gif barf.gif headbang.gif
avidfanjpl
I have seen several with the cutout over the years. They all looked nasty.

Not one time did I think it was attractive.

Take the roof off more often. The bastardized appearance makes it look ghetto.

I mean really.

John
thelogo
QUOTE(sarge746 @ Apr 26 2011, 09:36 AM) *

I have an extra Targa Top for my 914. I am thinking of putting in a sun roof or moon roof. Does anyone have experience in this or know of a good roof to use?

don't want to hyjack the thread but :::

I 'm trying to find someone to make me a complete glass or see thru fiber glass

targa top . " can this be done ???

any body have any suggestions or direction . because currently i'm at a dead end poke.gif

o and i'd like a gurney bubble too because i'm kind of tall

and a material as equally rugged as the factory top too

i know i'm dreaming screwy.gif screwy.gif
clow
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 27 2011, 09:54 AM) *

any body have any suggestions or direction . because currently i'm at a dead end poke.gif

There was a Saratoga option. It was mentioned earlier. Its all I can think of that somewhat fits your description. At one point not too long ago I think someone was trying to make reproductions.
IPB Image

More:
Blue linky thing

Clow
ellisor3
Mark Whitsell aka (mikey914), aka 914rubber.com has them. I do not remember the price seems like about $750, but really nice work.
thelogo
QUOTE(clow @ Apr 27 2011, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 27 2011, 09:54 AM) *

There was a Saratoga option. It was mentioned earlier. Its all I can think of that somewhat fits your description. At one point not too long ago I think someone was trying to make reproductions.
IPB Image

More:
Blue linky thing

Clow

I assume this is the hissyfit.gif " holy grail of parts finds " but i'll try finding one and putting it on my 914 .
AZ914
Looks like a pic I took of my top. I need to do a buff on it to really shine it up nice.
RRietman
I have an extra top with a fixed sunroof installed that I tried to give away a while back. it really doesn't look too bad, just not my cup of tea. I still have it if anybody wants it. shipping might be more than it's worth.
Thanks
Randy
Bellingham Wa.
Mikey914
I will be posting more on the thread Friday evening, but these are staring to ship out.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sarge746 @ Apr 26 2011, 12:36 PM) *

when I bought my 75 2.0 914, it came with 2 tops- a black textured OEM and a body color matching one with a moonroof that is glass, pops up in 2 postions- a P.O. in the USMC had it in california, had it done there.
It does not leak and i now find that is the top i have on all the time.
if i don't want the top off and the 90+ degree day in S.C. and sun on my bald head but want the light and air moving, it works great.
I have one picture, will try to get a better one inside too. I do not know the brand but you should be able to find someone that has access to aftermarkets on these.
With that said, if i had $750 i would get a glass one from Mickey-(914rubber) - had a group buy not long ago in the initial production.
Good luck
Phil
Drums66
......maybe he wants to look at the moon with his girl....without freezing(romantic) poke.gif
there are tops made that way already?
bye1.gif
RRietman
QUOTE(RRietman @ Apr 27 2011, 05:08 PM) *

I have an extra top with a fixed sunroof installed that I tried to give away a while back. it really doesn't look too bad, just not my cup of tea. I still have it if anybody wants it. shipping might be more than it's worth.
Thanks
Randy
Bellingham Wa.

pics of sunroof targa
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.