Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Local cop murdered
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
A local cop in our county was murdered over the weekend responding to a 911 B&E call. He leaves behind a wife and 2 children. Throat slit but he did manage to cap the guy in the leg before he went down. They caught the 18yr old punk who did this, apparently he was pissed off at cops and life in general. We don't know all the details yet.

This is the first murder in our county in 75yrs, most of us move out here thinking this shit couldn't happen here.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/05/16/canad...a/cobourg040516

To our boys in blue, lets be safe out there!
seanery
that sucks.

what's CA's take on the death penalty?
morph
Sorry to hear sad.gif
Pnambic
Canada hasn't had the death penalty for a few decades, but I read that public opinion there had recently indicated that perhaps they should bring it back. I dunno.

First degree murder in Canada nets a life sentence and no possibility for parole for 25 years. I'm not sure how closely they follow that in Canada, but it seems in the US that a sentence of this magnitude would let the guy out of jail in 3 to 5 years "with good behavior".
mad.gif

I remember seeing a B grade movie years ago in which the offender was dropped off on a penal island and left to fend for themself. There were lots of people on this penal island, some good, most bad. Give the guy a nice little vacation.
mike_the_man
I think public hangings for this type of thing might cause people to think twice before taking a life. This type of thing really pisses me off. The kid will probably say that he was abused as a child, and it's his parents fault that he turned out this way. And all he'll get is a slap on the wrist.
wheelo
That movie would be.."Escape from New York" (1981)... Starring, Kurt Russell as "Snake"...
A perfect idea for Alcatraz... you can air-drop food and med supplies... Oh, and new prisoners !! Other than that they can just "Stew" in their own private hell !! happy11.gif happy11.gif They can get fitted with GPS ankle devices, that if they survived, would time-out when their sentence was complete, signaling authorities of a possible release. Here in Calif. the poor cops get "wacked" every other week. That is why more and more are retiring, or quiting the "Force" than ever before. Might be time to get another weapon myself.... crazy aint' it? Too many bleeding -hearts, no swift justice, no-jobs,= trouble... IMHO
seanery
Snake Pliskin...was my nickname in college
GWN7
That sucks Mark, sorry to hear that. sad.gif

There was a 17 yr old kid here who beat a guy to death with two pool balls in a sock. He did 1 day in jail. Another was a crack whore who slit a guys throat for a fix...3 yrs.

The Canadian government wasn't going to send Nyg (multiply torture/sex death charges) back to California because he might get the death penalty.

I think they should be dropped off at the far end of Baffin Island and if they can walk to the other end without getting eaten by a polar bear or freezing to death they should get a nice warm cell to spend the rest of their life in.
Toast
Sorry to hear that.
skline
I left the department 20 some years ago because of a situation where I ran into several guys I had arrested in a mall once when I was with my wife and newborn child. It was a little close to home. There were other reasons but that one was really all it took. The threats in the mall scared my wife. Good thing we were required to carry an off duty piece. They were all arrested again in a day or so for some gang activity in Santa Ana. It still bugs me when I hear of an officer being killed for being a cop. I am a firm believer in an eye for an eye. It does work. If he would have been here, he probably would not have made it to the jail. Not alive anyway.
tracks914
It's a pretty sick world.
I would like to see them bring back the public guilletine (spelling?) I know it isn't much of a deterent according to stats but I would like to try it for about 50 years just to see if the stats are right.
skline
This came in an email the other day. Which one are you?

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIBERALS, CONSERVATIVES & SOUTHERNERS

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous-looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges.
You are carrying a Glock .40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere
seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would incite him to hate me?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have an appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to my children and to society at large?
Is it possible he'd be content with killing me only?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have a weed and paint day, and make this a happier, healthier, safer street that would discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing! I need to get discuss this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southerner's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

click. . click. . click rackety-click... (sounds of reloading)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

click. . click. . click
campbellcj
I dunno about you guys, but when I hear these tragic stories, it really makes me appreciate our law enforcement people.

I personally cannot imagine working long hours, for maybe $42K/year, with the risk that a crackhead or gangbanger could randomly take me out at any time.

We had a similar case here recently. IIRC a 34 year old deputy, with two little kids and a wife, was randomly shot by a wannabe 16 yr old gangbanger. The shooter said he was simply trying to "impress" the local gang leaders so they might recruit him to join. he had no prior record but will be tried as an adult and therefore could potentially face the death penalty.

I think public hanging is not even enough for these scumbags. How about public torture, being blinded, castrated and maimed by vicious animals, and then kept alive to suffer for a few years in a 4x8 jail cell with no books or TV.

That is what I call a deterrent. The modern death penalty has proved to not be a sufficient deterrent. It takes too long to finally occur, and when it does, it is over too suddenly and "humanely".
Hawktel
Call me a jerk, but, I don't think this sort of human behavior is a new thing.

I had a oportunity to be a policeman. I turned it down. I figured it wasn't worth the risk. Seems with the way the world is today, if your a cop, you should be half expecting to get done by some loser punk.

I would think most cops are aware of the risk.

So, for me, when I hear this, I'm glad they caught the kid, but its what the cop is there to do right?

sad.gif
Rgreen914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 18 2004, 09:32 PM)

I personally cannot imagine working long hours, for maybe $42K/year...

campbellcj

If you ever get a chance to check out the employee parking structure at LA County Jail, you would really enjoy the sights; many deputies are really into cars/trucks and the variety and number of modified new vehicles is amazing! There are deputies working there that pull down over $100,000 per year; their department has to limit the amount of overtime they can work or their salaries would really skyrocket! Last I heard, most of them hate to leave the Jail to work patrol because of the lack of overtime available to street deputies.
seanery
The Sonauto car is owned by one of LA's finest.
EdwardBlume
For what they do and what they risk.... pay em.

I have friends who are cops and the stories make you realize there are some doped up maniacs in this world. Most of us just see it on the news and steer our SUVs around it.
Mark Henry
Looks like this scumbag just wanted to kill a cop for kicks. He lured him with a phony 9-1-1 call.

Sick fucker fighting19.gif

http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/nn/
mike_the_man
Something very bad should happen to him. hanged.gif
415PB
QUOTE(Hawktel @ May 18 2004, 10:39 PM)

I would think most cops are aware of the risk.

So, for me, when I hear this, I'm glad they caught the kid, but its what the cop is there to do right?

sad.gif

Yes, if you are a cop, you are aware of the risks and no cops are not there to get their throats cut. Give me a break Bro.
scotty
Damn.

Save the starving Polar Bears: send that man to Nunavut... in Winter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.