Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 205/55R15 vs. 205/60R15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Who's running the 205/60s on 15x6s? I've been running 205/55R15s for ten years or so, but I know the rolling diameter is wrong and I have to say I'm starting to like the period SCCA look of 60 series...

Any thoughts? Tire picks in 205/60R15? Clearance issues with stock fenders? I remember running 205 Michelin XGT V4s (lame) on Pedrinis before the five-lug conversion with no problems, then having slight issues up front with the (worn out) 205/60 A008R TUs that came on the Fuchs. Rubbed in front on full lock. But those R Tu's were stupid fun for a day or two...

Was thinking Pirelli P6000s. I know they're a downgrade in terms of grip, but I'm no fan of the ES100s I'm running right now. Definitely grippy, but the square shoulders are unpredicatble in the dry and greasy in the rain (even on our WRX, also on ES100s). These are no replacement for Yoko's sublime AVS Intermediate. Plus, to me, the ultra-modern tread pattern just doesn't look "right" on the 914.

Thoughts?
Porsche Rescue
Double check with Tire Rack by phone. They closed out the AVS Intermediates but sometimes have a few left in the warehouse after they stop listing them online. I have 205/60's on 4 lug 5.5" ATS's with no problems.
Eric_Shea
The 60's did not fit on my 914-6 (205/60-15x6)

Fronts were fine. Passengers rear rubbed like crazy. I believe I'm running 195/50-15x6's all the way around now and I love them (street).
anthony
I've also been thinking about a set of 205-55-15s. What do you guys think about tires in the $60-80 range? The Pole Positions sound nice but seem a little pricey at $125/ea. From a tirerack search I get the following in that price range:

Bridgestone Potenza G009
Bridgestone Potenza RE910
Kuhmo ASX
Yokohama Avid V4S
Pirelli P6000 & P4000 & P6
Kuhmo 711
Kuhmo 712
Dunlop FM901
seanery
for that price point I'd opt for the Falken Azenis. Since most of us don't put tons of miles on our car they'll last a couple years.
anthony
The tread on the Azenis' look like they would be great in an autoX but how would they be on the freeway or during a rain storm. I try not to drive the 914 in the rain but on occasion I've gotten stuck.
horizontally-opposed
In 205/55R15, I wouldn't buy the ES100s -- even though I've always loved Yokohama products. The price makes it attractive, too... but I've tried 'em on the 914 and a WRX in 18-inch sizes. I don't know what to try instead, but am leaning toward Kumhos or Falkens.

Thanks for the feedback -- but was the six above with rubbing problems with 205/60s on 15x6s ever known to hae bodywork on the right rear? Or is it just down to body tolerances?

pete
Mueller
The Pirelli P6000 summer* tires seem very attractive, price and performance wise. They also claim that this P6000 is lighter than your average tire, no too sure about that claim, but it would be nice if true.

*they make a softer "summer" tire which has a rating of 180, verses thier P6000 Sport Veloce which is more of an all weather tire with a rating of 320.

For us spoiled Nor-Cal, Bay Area people, it seems the "summer" tire would be fine for year round use.

Hey Pete, great article on the S4 928 @ the salt flats, had me crying a few times.
horizontally-opposed
Thanks! It was just too bad Al Holbert, "Jr." got into my memory of Al-I-know-his-dad's-name-was-Bob while editing that monster. Doh! Then my proofing staff of zero was unable to catch my stupid error. I guess we all make 'em, it's just that when I push the button, 70,000 copies are printed and then get sent to newstands and mailboxes around the world!

That story was 9 pages of pure text in our layout format -- painful to throw away some of the anecdotes, but tried to saved the best in the end. It was like an archeological dig - only you kept blowing words away to get to the story.

Still, my favorite two for humor have to be the $500 928 story Lamm wrote and the Eric Meyer 356 story we ran two issues ago...

Damn, this is a long-winded response to a simple note. But then I am a damn writer... I knew it was a mistake to join a BBS! beerchug.gif
JWest
How about moving up to 16x6 and run 205/55/16 Falken Azenis? Stock diameter, nice sidewall height, great tire. There are MANY tire choices in that size, too.
horizontally-opposed
A good call, but I am in love with my 15x6 early S Fuchs. That said, I really like the 16s on some 914s I've seen.

Didn't know about the softer P6000s -- also a great tip!

Many thanks guys,

pete
anthony
I currently have the H-rated all season P6000s in 195-60-15 on the car. They are the only tires I've ever had on the 914 with but I have no complaints. They provide enough grip to achieve scary fast speeds on the street.

I'd love to move up to 16" 5-lug Fuchs. Those refinished old style like the early Fuchs are IMO the finest looking wheels on a 914. Everybody used to say how cheap 16x6 Fuchs were because so many 911 guys were getting rid of them in favor of 16x7s but I haven't found a "cheap" set with no road rash yet. In fact prices seem to be up on those lately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.