Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: ZTR Lawn mowers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Looking to buy a ZTR, Zero Turn Radius, lawn mower. I've been searching the web trying to get familiar with the brands and features. So far I'm leaning toward buying a Dixon based on price. And the fact that my brother has one that is 5 years old, has taken alot of abuse, and is still working well.

Any good/bad experience with a particular brand/model?

I've got about 2 acres to mow. Some hilly area and woodsline. And about 50 trees to cut around.

Any recommendations???

I'll get my 914 act together and post some progress pics soon.
seanery
Doug,

talk to Mark (Engman) I believe he helped design the first ZTR and is working on a new design.
Pnambic
I've used a Dixon and a bigger one (Grasshopper I think?) The Dixon was hardy and got the job done just fine. Went to the Grasshopper for the larger deck.

They're great for giving your yard that professional greenskeeper's striped look. smile.gif
Pnambic
The Cub Cadet lawn tractor I was using at my father-in-law's house two weeks ago caught on fire....that was exciting. <_<
airsix
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ May 18 2004, 08:48 AM)
I've got about 2 acres to mow. Some hilly area and woodsline. And about 50 trees to cut around.

Any recommendations???

Wow. 2 acres? That's a lot of lawn! Suggestions? Yeah, how about some horses! That's not a lawn, that's what they call "pasture". wink.gif Good luck in your search for a good ZTR mower. They look like a good machine.

-Ben M.
swood
Dixie Chopper is a pretty good ride on mower.
Levi
QUOTE(airsix @ May 18 2004, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ May 18 2004, 08:48 AM)

Any recommendations???

Wow. 2 acres? That's a lot of lawn! Suggestions? Yeah, how about some horses! That's not a lawn, that's what they call "pasture". wink.gif Good luck in your search for a good ZTR mower. They look like a good machine.

-Ben M.

lol2.gif lol2.gif
How about 10 acres...this is what I use...not to good around trees tho... lol2.gif lol2.gif
Mueller
I'm jealous....living in the 'burbs, my lawns are small enough for one of these:
(half of the neighborhood kids don't even know what it is smile.gif )
buck toenges
I have had a dixon for about 4 years now. It works pretty well. I have had more problems with service then anything else. The local company that sells them sucks! The ztr mowers tend to chew the turf with their rear wheels as you zero turn it. Here is a link that manufactures a reel type gang mower that fits behind a regular lawn tractor that cuts cleaner then your regular rotary type. They make it here in Fort Wayne. http://www.4apromow.com/
Engman
Yep - pretty much know ZTR's. 6 patents and 6-8 pending. First question is how much do you want to spend - A good new commercial unit is in the 6 - 7K range- but we can go down from there.

M
swood
Man, I never thought I'd never find an appropriate thread for this photo. biggrin.gif
cooltimes
XMark is the one my son uses in his one man business. Make a big job small. smilie_rolli_1.gif
cooltimes
For the curious. Yep. It's me. Cooley. Old user name didn't agree with a new email address. That was my 1st post so I couldn't show the XMark photo.
aircooledboy
Damn Levi. I thought my tractor was old. When mine was brand new (in 1968), yours was already really really old. biggrin.gif
Doug Leggins
Thanks folks.

I thought that there was at least one resident expert in the club.

Mark - I've been looking at the Dixon Ram 44. It has 18 hp Briggs and a 44" cut path. Can also attach a snow blade. Best quote so far - $3499 + $375 for snow blade + $60 for wheel weights + $75 for tire chains = $4009.

Got anything in this range?

Do you take 914 parts in trade - LOL!!!
Engman
Dixon is an Ok mower - more suited to a homeowner than commercial use. One thing I do mot like about Dixon is their propietary hydraulic system - you only gonna get one from them. It's not that it is bad- just that they make it, service it etc - therefore they set the prices on replacement parts. I would encorage you to look at a 52" cut. Better cut, shorter cutting time. Watch out for setup charges. Call a couple of other dealers and get prices - if they are better let your local dealer know - in other word use it to leverage him to that price. You also want to know about a service manual/parts book - make sure you get one - latest trend is to leave it out. Some OEM's have them online and that is cool (especially if you need to know how they did something).

Here is my list of current top ZTR's on the market - these are all commercial -

Scag
Exmark
Great Dane / John Deere
Hustler
Ferris

No I did not mention Dixie Chopper - quality varies year to year (They changed the deck this year and messed up) and they do not meet the ANSI standards. The ones above all meet ANSI. (used to be on the board - have read and testified on injury accidents/lawsuits and its not pretty)

Hope this helps

M
Doug Leggins
Thanks Mark.

There are a couple of names on your list that I haven't looked at yet.

Still haven't seen one that looks like the one in your avatar. What is the brand of the mower in your avatar?
Engman
It's not yet released - sooooon , sooon. It is the Formula (model name) of the new company named Gizmow. This will be the first ZTR with a steering wheel (Deere tried this with the Spinsteer but they did not steer the front tires nor was it commercial). Yep you can zero turn and NOT tearup the grass unlike other ZTR's when you zero turn. It has three cams with all of the turning info programmed into them. Simple to use, faster than a regular ZTR cause we do not have to slow down to make a tear free turn, and it will be priced to compete with the other regular ZTR's (Yep my boss is taking a lower profit margin to get into the market). Only ZTR that you can zero turn with one hand. We have been testing/ refining over the winter and are just about ready to take it out to the distribuors to sell. This machine has all of the latest technology and refinements. I am sure that some of them (which are not patentable) will be copied by the others. Once you set a standard you are watched. If you are in the area let me know and I will take you for a ride.

M
Rusty
Cooley! You found your way over here! Welcome! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(Engman @ May 18 2004, 06:20 PM)
It's not yet released - sooooon , sooon. It is the Formula (model name) of the new company named Gizmow. This will be the first ZTR with a steering wheel (Deere tried this with the Spinsteer but they did not steer the front tires nor was it commercial). Yep you can zero turn and NOT tearup the grass unlike other ZTR's when you zero turn. It has three cams with all of the turning info programmed into them. Simple to use, faster than a regular ZTR cause we do not have to slow down to make a tear free turn, and it will be priced to compete with the other regular ZTR's (Yep my boss is taking a lower profit margin to get into the market). Only ZTR that you can zero turn with one hand. We have been testing/ refining over the winter and are just about ready to take it out to the distribuors to sell. This machine has all of the latest technology and refinements. I am sure that some of them (which are not patentable) will be copied by the others. Once you set a standard you are watched. If you are in the area let me know and I will take you for a ride.

M

But does it have a beer holder? biggrin.gif beer.gif
Engman
We have not yet tooled our own gas tanks - but when we do it will have TWO. One on each side. beerchug.gif

M
Pnambic
smilie_pokal.gif
And being steerable with just one hand (thanks to the actual steering wheel) you can actually hold and drink the beverage while mowing....though that may not be ANSI compliant.... wink.gif
grantsfo
What kind of racing do you intend to do?

Dirt Track

IPB Image

Drag racing?

IPB Image
Mark Henry
I also cut 2 acres, I have a Husqvarna lawn tractor with a 50" deck and it is way too small IMO.

Must take me at least 2.5 to 3 hrs to cut the lawn what a PITA.

I like those reel mowers, but they seem a bit pricey for what they are.
Maybe I should hit the yard sales and make my own laugh.gif
Katmanken
Screw the cup holders!

My mower has a cigarette lighter! blink.gif

Came as an option on my 70's vintage Cub Cadet!

Guess you throw the lit butts behind you, catch the grass on fire and have less to mow wacko.gif

Ken
rhodyguy
old school yard-man. 7hp stock. 10hp upgrade. armstrong starter.you will sweat and curse if you don't prime it a bit. goes like crazy in 3rd gear. driving.gif

kevin
cooltimes
This is a link to view some varied brand name ZTR mowers.
It's an auction sheet with all the various ZTR mowers pixs.
http://www.seauction.com/mowers.htm
All are used and the idea of my giving this link is to see how they appear to hold up after some use.
The auction place is too far from you. Alabama.

Cooltimes
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 19 2004, 09:28 AM)
I like those reel mowers, but they seem a bit pricey for what they are.

If fescue gets too tall the front roller in front of the reel just lays it down and the reel will go over without cutting. However a reel mower is the best type as it scissors cuts the grass, not just wacking it off. If you have alot to mow a gang of reel mowers is the best way to go. You have to make sure you've got the right reel for your turf grass though.

I've got a 60" Ransomes three reel fairway mower, a 60" Woods finish mower that I put behind my JD 2040 tractor, a 72" JD rotary cutter, and a 18hp water cooled Honda lawn tractor with a 42" deck (which isn't big enough for major mowing).

PK cool.gif
Mark Henry
My Husqvarna it’s an 18hp aircooled flat /2 laugh.gif

It has a 50” deck but I wish it was twice the size. I pull the kids around in the bike trailer as I cut the lawn (it has a plastic front windscreen). Guess it's about time for a new seat.
Mark Henry
Part of my front yard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.