Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener daily driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
been thinking about adding a 3rd 914 to the stable. maybe to drive everyday.

dr
Levi
I'd like to drive it every day if I could get this rusty POS to run right...I hate FI...
seanery
I selected "7 times a week" because I used to drive one daily. When I bought my 74 in 99 I drove it for about a year every day with the occasional DE thrown in. I only stopped because I started the process of making it a dedicated track car -6 conversion.

When the 72 ran right I drove it as often as possible.
The downside, especially where you live, is that there probably won't be A/C in the car. It got hot out in the valleys in LA. At the beach (where I lived) it was a joy.
nebreitling
Yup, 5-7 days a week. pretty damn reliable car, actually. it always seems to give some warning before it breaks.
SirAndy
yupp, she gets to drive with me every day wub.gif

Andy

btw. i saw a nice red 914 (narrowbody) on my way into the city this morning.
around 10am, going over the bay bridge towards SF ...
lapuwali
Well, I don't drive it every day, but only because my even older Mini is better suited to the 3 mile daily 25mph drive to and from the train station. On those days I actually drive to work (25 freeway miles), I take the 914, as the Mini doesn't like the freeway at all. If I drove to work every day, I'd be driving the 914 every day, and doing whatever was required to keep it working.
tracks914
Mine came off the jackstands, after 19 months, tonight. Appraisal, MTO inspection and insurance tomorrow. Hopfully plates and drive it Thursday. (insert fingers crossed symbol here)
machina
QUOTE(seanery @ May 18 2004, 09:47 PM)
The downside, especially where you live, is that there probably won't be A/C in the car. It got hot out in the valleys in LA. At the beach (where I lived) it was a joy.

know what you mean about the ac,

had an alfa romeo coupe few years back, mornings were fine to work but if I went out for lunch or a meeting, came back soaked in my button down shirt.

now i work out of the house so i don't have to worry about that very often.

dr
campbellcj
I did the daily-driver early p-car thing for several years in the past. It worked out fine and the reliability was actually very good. Now it would not be practical for me as my commute is >50miles of LA bullshit every day and I'm getting older so A/C and some creature comforts are a bit more important to me. Not to mention a 3rd old that I have to chauffer sometimes.

Sooo...my teener currently sees about 2 weekend canyon runs and 2 track events a month, if I am "on target". No cruising, it is either parked or being hammered at 6000+ rpm's.

Lately...it mostly sits in the garage though sad.gif
STL914
I drive my 72 to work 5 days a week. In case of a potential rain fall, I use one of Perry Kiels "Umbrellas" to keep my driver's compartment dry.
Car is very reliable, except for a CV malfunction that happened about two weeks ago, about a mile from home. Quick call to the wife for a ride to work. driving.gif

Oh, and with gas prices here finally reaching the $2/gallon range, it gets better gas mileage than my 2004 Sante Fe.
EdwardBlume
Sometimes when I get home, I just cruz a lap in my neighborhood to say "hi".
Joseph Mills
I voted "few times a week". It's basically an AX car now, but that doesn't stop me from hitting some curvies and off ramps every few days. Kinda like a cocktail after work. Just enough to "wet my beek". Ha!
Mike9142.0
I started driving 914's daily in 97 and did up to the wreck in november of 02.
Then i started driving my 65 bug every day.
This has been in 120+ temps in the summer, to below 0 temp in the winter.
When I get teh 73 back on the road it will be the daily driver agen. driving.gif
ThinAir
I've been able to stay in the daily driver mode thanks to Mike loaning me his 70. Once I get my 73 rebuilt it will be a daily driver again except for when it snows because I just bought my 84 year old mother's 93 Honda. I'll let the crazy drivers and the road crap take their shots at it and keep the 914 for better weather.
Steve
I drive mine everyday except when it gets to hot or I know I might be stuck in traffic.
So sad to say I have been driving my 993 cabriolet tiptronic with AC until it cools down.
If the 914 had AC I would drive it more often in the summer.....
Southern Cal gets pretty toasty especially when your stuck in traffic between appointments.
I think we should make Rich Johnson make an AC version of his motor mount.

Steve
GWN7
The plan is to drive it everyday. We will see how long before I break it. wink.gif
theol00
I love to take mine as often as I can for a ride, even if it is just around the block and a little run on and off HWY 85 and 17 - this is a great FWY cross driving.gif with some hot turns in it!

biggrin.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
SpecialK
Only in my dreams sad.gif
krk
I bought my first 914 (73 2.0) in '95 when I moved to San Jose from the north country (canada). Figured I should drive a car that said "CA" in big lights. It was well maintained when I got it, and Modderman Service kept it so. It is certainly one of the very cool things about CA -- the car is quite impractical for snow laugh.gif and would prolly die in salt. (like I really remember either of those now smile.gif) I loved that car and if I'd've had garage space, I'd still have it. ("hi lyressa") C'est la vie.

I'm somewhat stretching the truth on my daily driver -- the last 6 mths I've worked from home, so "daily" is a bit of a stretch -- I use my current 914 for customer visits -- but we've landed our first office space and once DSL/etc is installed, the replacment 914 (70 /6) will continue to be my daily driver.

I'm not sure how well it will work out -- no air, and occasionally needing to wear a suit -- for those days I may fall back on the 911, but I'm loath to fall back easily. Apparently I need a Boxter! (Thanks Chris! laugh.gif -- if only I didn't have to give one of the other two up to get one....)

kim.
ablose58
Drive mine everyday smilie_pokal.gif 6 days a week 85mi. round trip commute and other misc. driving. mueba.gif MDB2.gif AL
markb
3 to 4 days a week. Minor glitches from time to time, but really reliable. Mark
Rgreen914
I drive our teener every couple of weeks...from the mother-in-law's (where it stays) to my garage, to work on it. Between the wife and me we have three other cars, all of them automatics with A/C and only a two-car garage. Still, I always enjoy driving the teener and sometimes even enjoy indulging the "money pit" aspect of upkeep/modification/restoration!
TheCabinetmaker
Check the sig under my avatar. I'ts been that way for 31 years. Lets see ya top that!!!!!!

Special K, That is one ugly dog laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
If I ever finish it(make it road worthy, I may drive it 50% of the time
balljoint
One day unsure.gif I will drive mine to and from work in the summer, and in the twisty country roads on weekends. No winter driving for non-galvanized steel vehicles in this part of the world. Too much salt on the roads.
DNHunt
I drive it when the weather is good. Very rarely in the winter. If I can't drive it I drive a 4 door Subi barf.gif or if the wife grabs that a 91 Caravan barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

Dave
jwade
I drive it everyday...Right now I'm looking out my office window at it and
wishing I could go for a drive right now...DAMN WORK!

john
mike_the_man
Mine came off of the jackstands yesterday. It's still not 100% there, but I'm hoping that by next month I'll be driving it everyday. I can't afford to put gas in the S4 anymore. Something that gets over 20mpg would be nice.
schweggy
I drive mine about once a week.... It's at HPH getting some TLC right now but will be on the road back to Monterey this afternoon.

180 mile (no joke) commute is a little much for it, but I've done it several times; up CA highway 1, over 17 rocking nana.gif and up 85/101 to Menlo Park. (did 90+ mph up highway 85 to HPH with bad tranny, mounts and other assorted issues)

Will be happy to have it back under my butt again.
Jenny
Before "the incident" I drove my orange car everyday, everywhere. Once the silver car's alligned and pieced back together, I plan on driving it everyday as well.

Jen
type47
sad.gif i have antique car tags so i can't drive it to work.

biggrin.gif since i have antique tags, i don't require a state safety inspection

sad.gif since i have antique tags, i cannot drive it more than 250 miles from home

biggrin.gif since i have antique tags, i can drive it to club meets, shows, test drives, for maintainance
When ever the weather is nice, which maybe every day some weeks and maybe once a week on others...during a good week thought I'll put 3-400 miles on it easily.

Cheapest car we have to drive right now @ close to 30mpg....
bob174
When I drive on the weekend, I take it. I drive it to work occasionally if there's no chance of rain in the forecast, which in Houston is about 40% of the time. Absolutely love to drive the thing, but I want it to last me until I die.
914werke
prolly 2 out of 5 days I drive it, but in the I5 commute it SUCKS finger.gif its lowered so you cant see over or arround the ever populare fuel swilling SUV, Creeping and clutching aint fun.
I prefer to ride my VFR in Traffic ar15.gif Nary a ride goes by when someone dosnt near miss or try & kill you, but at least you can travel (carpool access) and navigate (no lane spliting but lets call it ...creative riding). biggrin.gif
slapshot914
Good to bad to good to worse. I've been driving mine to work everyday for the past several weeks smile.gif . Yesterday, I drove it in to Reno and got caught in an unexpected rain shower mad.gif . Before I went home, I stopped for a soda and while in the store a guy stops me and asks if that's my teener. He drives a Saab station wagon, but says he always wanted a 914 biggrin.gif . On the way home I'm feeling real good, then it starts squealing like a banshee above 30 mph. Sounds like a bad wheel bearing sad.gif . Now its in the garage waiting for some loving attention.
John2kx
Have averaged about 2-3 days a week for the past 20 months or so. Since installing a/c a few weeks back, I drive it every chance I can as long as it's not raining. Have read enough about rust I don't even wash it..........just wipe down with a damp cloth when needed.

With the price of gas now it looks more attractive at 20 mph than my '03 truck.

John
MattR
Still on jackstands. When its running I'll use it as my daily driver at school, which is probably a 10 minute drive every day and a spin to the beach on the weekends.
degreeoff
Back when I was a broke assed drunk with no responsibility thats what I did is drive my BEAT lil 1.7 914 all the time! Now that I have grown up a bit I have (much more comfy A/C cars and trucks) so the need is no longer there!
degreeoff
QUOTE(type47 @ May 19 2004, 10:40 AM) *

sad.gif i have antique car tags so i can't drive it to work.

biggrin.gif since i have antique tags, i don't require a state safety inspection

sad.gif since i have antique tags, i cannot drive it more than 250 miles from home

biggrin.gif since i have antique tags, i can drive it to club meets, shows, test drives, for maintainance

WTF.gif They dont harass you that bad do they? I drive whenever I want here in MD and havent heard a peep....I think its a milage thing and since my odo aint working (set @ 1 mile 4 EVER!) I feel I am safe skirtin the law

(BTW all my driving I refer to is pre resto)
Rand
Wow, blast from the past thread.

Wait, did someone say they grew up and no longer need to drive the 914 daily?
Woot, I'm still a kid I guess. Four years later, it's still the absence of creature comforts that makes me enjoy the 914 the most of all my cars - especially compared to the ones with all the loaded features. My happiest driving moments are not when I'm driving the plush quiet family car with power seats, windows, sunroof, mirrors, antennas, multi-speaker stereo, heated this or that, yada yada. The most satisfying car in my stable is the minimalist 914! Hmmm.... Time to go for a drive!
TheCabinetmaker
Wow. Its been 35 years now and I still drive it everyday(cept when Im having open heart surgery).
eg914
I drive mine to work every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. Been doing it for about 4 years now. Can't think of anything I could afford that I would rather drive. As one of the previous post mentioned, it does give me some warning when things are starting to go bad.
dw914er
used to in high school

now that im out of town, its too far to take up, and no garage to keep it safe

but in hs, drove it almost every day for 2 years

before that, my mom used to daily drive it for about 16 years or something (230,000 miles)

and well, since i havt been driving it, it seems to have been acting up

lets see, ive had condenser/points/distributer go out

battery die

few fi leaks

gas leak

and now a brake line leak

only after about 6 months

when i daily drove it, i didnt have a problem

moral, after college, im driving it again more often cause i think it misses me wub.gif (i guess it thinks ive left it for dead (in a warm garage next to my drumset))

not a bad daily driver either, even during the hot so cal summers.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(STL914 @ May 18 2004, 08:56 PM) *

I drive my 72 to work 5 days a week. In case of a potential rain fall, I use one of Perry Kiels "Umbrellas" to keep my driver's compartment dry.
Car is very reliable, except for a CV malfunction that happened about two weeks ago, about a mile from home. Quick call to the wife for a ride to work. driving.gif

Oh, and with gas prices here finally reaching the $2/gallon range, it gets better gas mileage than my 2004 Sante Fe.

I didn't even pay attention to the dates on this thread. As I was rading I saw this post, and I thought $2.00 a gallon??? Man where I'm on it. Then I noticed the date 2004. Oh man one day I'm going to tell my grandchildren, I remeber when gas was only $4.00 a gallon.. headbang.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Apr 15 2008, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(STL914 @ May 18 2004, 08:56 PM) *

I didn't even pay attention to the dates on this thread. As I was rading I saw this post, and I thought $2.00 a gallon??? Man where I'm on it. Then I noticed the date 2004. Oh man one day I'm going to tell my grandchildren, I remeber when gas was only $4.00 a gallon.. headbang.gif

yea, i remember how mad we were when it did hit 2 bucks

now, id kill for it again
dinomium
with gas pushing 4 bux, and a short commute, I am all about driving the 914 over the big red pick up any time I can!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.