Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76/2.0/4 hard start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
street legal go-kart
gdday
ONE car has always started with no throttle or any extended cranking . even at 20 degrees f . ALWAYS started and idled at 900 rpm at once .
sat morn. had to blip th throttle to keep the car running and restart the car numerous times . if i held the engine at at a steady rpm the engine would drop and die within 2 secs . checked for any loose conectors etc.
mon same thing
after i let the car sit all day , not as dramatic the but the same thing .

after about 2 mins , the car behaves as always , confused24.gif
same level of perfomance .
no fuel line leaks , new points in the fuel pump , fuel filter 500 miles ago etc .
any help thx in advance
jt
Bleyseng
Maybe it's time to lube the AAR valve so your idle goes up to 1500 rpms when cold. Spray some knock loose or PB Blaster (not WD40) into the valve after taking a hose off. That will lube it so it works right.
Geoff
sechszylinder
hi jt,

to verify if its really the AAR, simply disconnect the hose, which is going from the AAR to the airplenum. When disconnected, the idle speed must raise to 1500 rpm.
There are some other sources of error, e.g. the temperature sensor, which senses the cold start condition and the cold start injector, which sprays additional fuel in the air plenum.

benno
street legal go-kart
thanks for the ideas
on my way out to try both ideas. sad.gif
i mean the car didnt even hickup on cold starts
procedeure was to cycle the fuel pump for 2 secs and light it . 900 rmps steady not a burp or anything. drive it away at reduced rpm etc as per factory instruction.
thx again
results to follow
jt
RustyWa
This kind of sounds like my stock FI '75 also. I was able to just turn the key on, listen for the pump 1.5 secs, then pop the starter and the car would start right up and idle at about 1600 RPM then drop to 950 after warm up. Didn't matter what the outside temp was OR if the car had sat for a month. No problems.

Now it dies seconds after I start it, every time. Start it again, bogs for a few seconds and then acts normal. I've checked all sorts of things. Cylcled my ignition 15 times to get fuel pressure up didn't help.

The only thing I can think of, that I have done, is I lowered my fuel pressure to 29 psi. It was, if I remember correctly, around 34-35 psi to start with when it was starting well. Maybe I should just go out and bump my fuel pressure up and see if this fixes my problem. D'oh!

I'll be interested if you figure your problem out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.