Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are you paying annually for gas?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
A very good ex-914/6 friend from 20 years ago sent me this today. I've never seen one before. His six went to Canada at least 30 years ago, and he hasn't had a Porsche since.

Not only do I find the maximum fuel price at 90 cents/gallon, it's interesting that a 73 911S was so duel efficient. I didn't find that kind of efficiency (nor even close) in my 70 E or 73 T. The claims for 914 mileage I'm good on, though I got 43 mpg on one 600 mile trip in the 914.

This "guage", as well as a '75 pristine sales brochure he sent me are available at cost of mailing. I don't need anymore "stuff" around here.

Let's discuss the attached photos for now. 'll let you know when you can have either/both during the first week of May.

Pat
JmuRiz
That's darn cool...great period color too!
Mike Bellis
I was commuting 45 miles (each way) to work in my 97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, V10, long bed, extended cab. It cost me $800 per month in gas. That was two months ago.
Root_Werks
Very cool!
r_towle
lets see.
15k miles per year is the average driver.
10 mpg truck @ $4.00 per gallon = $6000 per year
20 mpg SUV @ $4.00 per gallon = $3000 per year
30 mpg compact $4.00 per gallon= $2000 per year
50 mpg hybrid @ $4.00 per gallon= $1200 per year.

I like my prius.
Still love the bmw, but I drive the prius for all my errands.
campbellcj
Cool stuff. I drove a '70 E for more than a decade, and definitely did not get that kind of MPG. I averaged mid-teens overall; but certainly much of the time was leadfooted throttle in that car.
nsr-jamie
Gas is super expensive here in Japan...it all has to be imported and with the present prices due to all the middle east tensions now I am paying just over $6 a gallon for regular and more for the premium stuff. Nice weather now, so I have been taking my bicycle to work when its not raining.
rwilner
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2011, 10:44 PM) *

lets see.

I like my prius.

Rich
I have 2 questions for you
1) How many cars do you have
2) How many cars do you have that are registered and drivable
r_towle
16, 6

Rich
JRust
I drive my Ford Excursion with the 6.0 diesel about 70k a year. I average around 17mpg & am paying around $4.35 for diesel. I don't even want to add up how much that is. Kind o flike what I spend on my 914's. It's a total better left unknown evilgrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
Pat,

I think the MPG calculator is a terrific find and very interesting. It underscores the effect of the energy crisis of the day...and today...on the marketability of new cars.

I'll include your photos of it on my webpage. thumb3d.gif
Ericv1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2011, 10:44 PM) *

lets see.

I like my prius.

I just bought my wife a new prius. I drove it for a week and "literally felt like I was driving around in a vagina". You can't beat the gas mileage at an average of 48mpg.
veltror
Prius, I really wish the world would stop and really think about this thing. If you buy a prius and are happy with it then great but it is a great fallacy to believe it is the way to go, it is not. The cost of making this thing and it's associated gubbins is less the friendly to the worl. I am a climate change sceptic, so lets get that clear, but if you want economy in a car you need a diesel. Sadly most of the fuel efficient powereful diesels are not sold in the US so you really don't know what you are missing. smile.gif

I always find it hilarious about when the US complains about the price of petrol, try living in the UK for a while. In real world test VW Diesels be they a Golf or a polo beat the Pious everytime...

If you have one and like it great but it is a classic case of Marketspeak bs.gif

R

What I really want is a car powered by the tears of ecologists.... driving.gif
Joe Owensby
They should have added the benefit of the 16 1/2 gallon fuel tank. I had my car back in those days. Some states were closing fuel stations on Sundays, or had alternative fuel days based on even-odd tags. Most of the cars of that time had only a few hundred mile range. I could drive over 500 miles. At the time I was living near Philladelphia, and lots of people couldn't even drive to the shore for the weekend because they couldn't have access to gas to get back home. I would drive home to North Carolina on one tank. Sometimes driving back up on Sunday afternoon, I-95 from Richmond all the way to Philly was almost empty of cars. It was nice for me. Before the gas crunch, that road was a mad house on Sunday because all the people going home from the beaches and Florida.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 27 2011, 11:58 PM) *

Cool stuff. I drove a '70 E for more than a decade, and definitely did not get that kind of MPG. I averaged mid-teens overall; but certainly much of the time was leadfooted throttle in that car.

I only had my 70E for five years (sporto) and it gulped! Never got more that 19 on th highway, but I'd kill to have it back!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 28 2011, 08:32 AM) *

Pat,

I think the MPG calculator is a terrific find and very interesting. It underscores the effect of the energy crisis of the day...and today...on the marketability of new cars.

I'll include your photos of it on my webpage. thumb3d.gif

Jeff,

Feel free!

Amazing how these little "things" pop up now & then. I'd never seen one before, but the markings are all there to indicate it is correct.

I remeber those gas prices very well....before the crunch hit. When I bought my 72, the first tankfull was at 29.9, with a free "Snoopy" glass for a tankfull. I still have it.
Pat
r_towle
Pat, that is a great find certainly...
A keeper that should be with the car forever.

Veltor, move here and drive what we have to choose from.
Then it makes sense.

Rich
Mark Henry
Thing that pisses me off is we are your biggest single foreign supplier of oil and yet we pay more for gas at the pumps. mad.gif

I love to rant more on this, but it would get political PDQ. dry.gif
MDG
So 10,000 annual miles at 29mpg costing $.48/gallon equals an annual gas expenditure of one hundred and sixty-five bucks . . .

yeah, I spend that every 10 days.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.