Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 44idf's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
75boxster
has no effect on the motor when trying to set a basline to take to mechanic. Does this mean is is clogged? If this is the case how do I clean in there or should I just drive the damn thing sixty miles to the mechanic? Looking forward to the KC fuel injection to be available.
Toast
try taking out each of your venturies and blowing air (perfurably the can, otherwise you splash gas all over you) through each of them and then put them back in.
Make sure do do each one. One may have a microscopic dust or gas garbage particle in it that may be blocking.
lapuwali
It could mean your idle jet is already very lean or very rich. It may also mean you have an air leak on that side. If you can turn it all the way in until it bottoms and the engine note doesn't change, your idle jet is way rich, or your throttles aren't closing completely, or you have a leaky accelerator pump jet. Take off the air filter, and look down the throats while the engine is running. You can see the fuel dribbling out if there's a leak.

You might also want to take a look at the needle valve itself. Engine off, unscrew the mixture screw all the way and remove it from the carb. If there's a worn spot on the tapered section, you need to get a new needle (aircooled.net sells them).

EFI is a nice thing, but it's not a panacea. You generally end up trading one set of problems for another set of problems. If you don't know what you're doing tuning carbs, you're not likely to know what you're doing tuning EFI, and it will be just as frustrating. With EFI, you'll be losing the wear and mechanical problems of the carbs, but gaining a host of electrical problems. Don't get me wrong, I like EFI, and intend to fit a Megasquirt or Kit Carlson setup on my car eventually, but I don't expect it to solve all of my fuel problems forever, either.
75boxster
I am just more at home playing with the tables on a stand alone. I understand how to make changes with the EFI. Carbs I am lost. I have been playing with a VW 1.8 turbo the last three years and ultimately that is the motor I want to install into the car. You are correct about trading one set of problems for another set, that is for sure. I just like the set of problems that comes with EFI. Thanks for the tips, I will try them out.
bwilless
When I have that problem on my carbs it's resolved by clearing a clogged idle jet associated with that screw. This is with carbs that are already correctly jetted and ballenced.
75boxster
Pulled the carb and performed all of the tips suggested. Did not see
any debris but cleaned up with carb cleaner and compressed air. Put the
carb back on the car and the damn thing run like it does when it leaves
the shop after a tune. I guess dirt is the main reason my car falls out
of tune so quickly. Suppos I need a different fuel filter and a system clean out.
I really appreciate the tips as they fixed the problem. Still looking forward to the
FI though. smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(75boxster @ May 20 2004, 12:48 PM)
Still looking forward to the
FI though. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif pray.gif
lapuwali
Glad to hear you fixed it. I did neglect to mention that dirt can cause the idles to go lean. The idle jet holes are so small that very tiny particles will affect the jetting. Get the best fuel filter you can and use more than one. If you can, remove the fuel tank and clean it out. Once the cars get to be this age, there's a lot of crap floating around in the bottom of the tank, some from just dirty gas from the pump, a lot from rust flakes from the tank itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.