Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thought my clutch cable broke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
The other day I was driving the 914 when suddenly I lost my clutch. Damn my clutch cable must have broken.

Yesterday I got to the pedal assembly and discover the clutch pedal wasn't turning the shaft that its attached to. The roll pin that holds the pedal to the shaft had broken and wasn't allowing the pedal to rotate the shaft.

Better than having to replace the cable. Now to find the correct size roll pin to replace the broken one. smile.gif
Haudiosolutions
Happened to me two weeks ago. I guess this is pretty common.using a nut and bolt currently.
euro911
Sounds like a good part to carry in the emergency road-side repair kit idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I've seen one repaired with a nail on the side of the road. It got him home, so I figured it was a great fix.
IronHillRestorations
Ahhh yes the old "soft roll pin". Happend at a Renegade Festival to two different cars!
clow
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Apr 28 2011, 07:36 AM) *

Happened to me two weeks ago. I guess this is pretty common.using a nut and bolt currently.

agree.gif
I am using a bolt right now. Don't see why it won't last.

Clow
Dave_Darling
It won't last because the bolt isn't a press-fit into the hole. Which means that there will be some rotation between the pedal and the shaft, which means there will be fretting and wear on the bolt and the shaft and the pedal arm. With luck, it will take a while before it breaks. Without luck, it will take a while and the holes in the shaft and the arm will be too buggered up to install the correct part.

The correct pin isn't expensive. Make sure you get a full-circle pin, or better yet a spiral one. The pin that came in the bronze bushing sets for many years was not stout enough; I don't know if it is better now or not.

--DD
StratPlayer
I got the problem fixed yesterday. I had to drill out the hole for the pin to enlarge it a bit. Then I used a solid hardened pin instead of a roll pin. Pin fit in the hole just right, tapped it in place a wa la everything works just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.