Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blew a spark plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Wofford
Took the car out yesterday, had a nice spirted cruise. On the way home got off the freeway on my favorite cloverleaf off-ramp, downshifted into 3rd was about 1/2 way around when I heard a loud pop from the engine compartment, sounded like I blew a exhaust gasket but louder. Pulled over to take a look, laying on top of engine tin was my number 1 spark plug (still connected to the wire). Let it cool off and went to insert back into #1 hole. No luck the threads are striped (checked the plug and the threads are fine)
Can I heli-coil new thread insert. Help!!!!!
TheCabinetmaker
I had to do this very thing while on vacation in Arizona a few years ago. I used a thread sert instead of a helicoil. I used a "lot" of grease on the tap to catch the metal particles, then air pressure to blow the cylinder out, and a vacuum to further clean it. We made it back to Okla. 2000mi later. I then took it to our local 914 guru. He said "you did good. everything is ok".
Jake Raby
I'll almost bet you have a cracked head... The crack starts near the plug hole and protrudes into it.. causing the threads to weaken.

See it all the time..
Mike Wofford
Jake--Have not pulled engine/sheetmetal, but will take a look for that. It never crossed my mind that the head could have cracked. Jake if the head is cracked is this a weldable fix or is the head trashed. This is a 1.8 engine that ran really good. Thanks

Curt--Looked up thread sert looks like the way to go if the head is not cracked. Thanks for the info
Jake Raby
Any crack can be repaired... since its a 1.8 I doubt it is cracked, 2.0s do it ALL the time.
Mike Wofford
Jake, is the thread sert the way to go or do you have another suggestion on how to fix this.

Thanks
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.