Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber carb info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I'm intalling a 75 2.0 in my 73 and have almost totally, completely, sincerely, positively decided on carbs. (Maybe). I would like to install webers. Trouble is I don't know dick about these carbs. What do they mean by IDA or IDF or whatever? We talkin inner diameter? Where can I get some good info on these?
I like this website alot. How do I get a 914world.com sticker?
rolleyes.gif Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
Hey Elliot.

You wont need IDA's... you'll need IDF's. I personally would fork out and buy a new set from CBperformance.com if I was converting a customers car.

A set of 40's will work fine for your engine. The key to making them work well is to buy them and buy some different main jets and idle jets. CB can tell you what you need jet wise and possibly jet them for you before they even send them out.

B
pat4
When I bought my european 1973 2.0 the EFI was replaced by two 44 IDF carbs.

They were standard jetted and engine did not run well. Idle problems and too rich mixture.

I replaced :

Standard Air correction 175 with 200
Main jet 135 with 145
Idle jet 50 with 60

and now the car runs very well (before my vibration problems, but it is an other desease)
rhodyguy
or try www.aircooled.net. pretty informative tech articles and parts. the cb set leaves something to be desired, the god damn throttle cable holder!! you'll spend more, but the triad setup (linkage only) is a thing of beauty, weighs less. plan on doing your fuel lines(think old), a new fuel pump(spring for the rotary, facets suck), a fuel pressure regulator, and a fp gauge just to know whats going on. but if you do order from cb, get BOB TOMLINSON'S weber tech book from them. actually get it first and read it. you will save yourself hours if not DAYS of frustration. if you have 2.0 heads, get intakes that are setup for the correct stud pattern. i'm going send you a private email tonight please let me know if you recieve it.

kevin
Porsche Rescue
Brad, I have a new set of 40 idf 's which I am about to install on a stock (except cam) 2.0. What jet sizes should I have? Probably good to check/change while carbs are on the bench.
Brad Roberts
Jim,

I am NO good with carbs. I grew up around injection. I'm "pretty good" with Dellorto carbs.

You can change everything you need to with the carbs on the engine. Everything but the venturi's are easily accessible from the outside of the carb body.

I havent seen the Triad setup for linkage. MAYBE somebody can get DAVE on a computer and get us some pics of his products... LOL

Jim...

Thinking more about it... I can give you a great baseline setting that should almost have the carbs perfect for your 2.0. I need to look up what I just ordered for another 2.0 car in the shop right now with 44's on it. I spent a lot of time looking into it.

B
need4speed
If I had to pick a favorite set of carbs, it would be Dellortos, simply because you can play with all the jets while the carbs are still on the manifold.

But I've been wanting a 914 with FI for a while, so I can learn how to tune FI systems, and FI is supposed to be less quirky, and more efficient.

Why are people switching over to carbs, other than out of frustration at trying to learn how to tune a more complex system.

Frankly, some carbs (particularly the Solex 34 PICT on VeeDubs) are a nightmare of complexity. . .
Aaron Cox
hey-
i have 44 idf's on my 2.0 with a moderate lift cam. they were new from CIP1.com good price. got them tuned w/o changing out jets...idles okay- 44's are a lil big though. have hexbar linkage w/ terrycable throttle cable. they work good.

IDF's - more of a daily driver has a choke on it
44mm + have velocity stacks with them
available from 36mm t0 48mm throats (yes i said
36's! read about them in a VW mag)

IDA - no choke- more GO and POWER. used from VW's to
four on a cobra intake. available in 48 + mm throats.
RACING
Brad Roberts
Jim,

I lied. It was a set of Dells that I bought parts for.

Sorry about that.

B
Porsche Rescue
Thanks for the try. I'll install as is. If it doesn't seem right, we'll learn together.
rhodyguy
here's the triad. dave ellison is his name. he's got a pretty quick 75 and he's very consistant, and a shop most would kill for.
rhodyguy
triad 2
rhodyguy
triad 3
Mark Henry
How serious are you about the carbs? Has the FI got problems? Or are you into performance?

Most guys will tell you stock FI on a stock engine is way better than carbs. I would have to agree with them.

Carbs, I've used them for years, but 99% of my experience is with the type 1 beetle engine. I’ve used Weber IDA's, IDF's, DCNF's, baby and progressive webers, Dell's, baby Dell's and Kadrons on customers and my own engines.

The best carb for the beetle? IMO the Weber 42mm DCNF, I have 2 sets of Berg DCNF's on my bug and squareback, both are 78X90.5 or 2007cc. Unfortunately IMHO the DCNF would suck on a 914 though, because it has problems with lateral G's.

The IDF's are probably the best choice for the 914 but all carb's have their quirks. Getting a simple Haltec NB lambda meter helped me dial in carbs a bit better, still never perfect.

So this time around I'm going with programmable fuel injection. There are several brands to choose from, the two I liked are the SDS and/or the Mega Squirt.

Mega squirt is a DIY kit type system, if you have the time and can solder a circuit board (I've been told it's not that hard) and do a bit of programming, it is a very cheap but good FI system. I may get one for my squareback one day.

SDS is the system I'm going with on my 914, still not 100% plug & play, but it is a complete commercial system. Is it the best? Totally debatable, but it is good system with a good reputation and the price is better than most. I’m just sick of tuning carbs so I've decided to see if PEFI is any better.
I have a SDS group buy going over on the STF, 20% off systems in the buy. Check it out, it ends April 30th.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...t=34958&start=0
airsix
I'm in Mark's camp. I'm not trying to be rude, this is just my oppinion. I did my programable EFI/ignition converstion for $600. This was just before the megasquirt came out. You could now do a megasquirt converstion for $300 easy (assuming you've got d-jet parts to start with). With that option now available I don't know why anyone would want to use carbs other than ease of install.

If you want carbs, go with carbs, but be aware of the other options too. I will never put another carb back on a vehicle, but I very well may convert several more to EFI.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.