Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matching numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
trojanhorsepower
How does one match the engine, trans and chassis numbers. I have read several times that the COA's are not accurate, so how can we tell. I can see how one could narrow the numbers down to production years, but is there a way to decipher the VIN or other numbers and determine what the engine, trans numbers should be?

Thanks

-Peter
SirAndy
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 28 2011, 02:44 PM) *
How does one match the engine, trans and chassis numbers. I have read several times that the COA's are not accurate, so how can we tell. I can see how one could narrow the numbers down to production years, but is there a way to decipher the VIN or other numbers and determine what the engine, trans numbers should be?

Nope. The only way is to get a COA and hope it matches what you have ... dry.gif
sixerdon
As Andy said.
However, the COA, to my knowledge, has never disclosed the transmission number on the certificate for any 914. The best you can ascertain is to match the model year with the engine number. (i.e. a 1.8 shouldn't be in a 1970) I have COA's for all my Porsches and the VIN/engine numbers match.

Don
JeffBowlsby
Usually true on the tranny number, but not always. smile.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 29 2011, 04:18 PM) *

agree.gif

trojanhorsepower
Thanks Guys! So on what grounds do people say that the COA's are wrong? I guess that if you know the history of the car..... but that can't be very common.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 29 2011, 09:18 AM) *

Is this a 1974 anomoly?
Tom_T
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 29 2011, 01:35 PM) *

Thanks Guys! So on what grounds do people say that the COA's are wrong? I guess that if you know the history of the car..... but that can't be very common.

Oh ..... they don't bother to look at the right MY codes then try to tell you that #31 is Black & not Beige upholstery (#11 is black) - 2x on my COA & it took my contacting the customer service GM to get it corrected on their 3rd try.

Pat G. above has a "Norwegian Equipment" mis-read code on his 72.

etc., etc.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 30 2011, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 29 2011, 09:18 AM) *

Is this a 1974 anomoly?

I wonder if they're just being cagey on that, or if the Karmann plant was just loose on recording info to the Kardex, on which PCNA bases the COAs?

I do know that they refused to list my 73 914-2.0 as a 2.0 on their first erroneous attempt at my COA, until I sent a pic of the GA code - even after I read it to the gal on the phone! huh.gif

To me that is BS, because if they have the record of what the car was built as & with which engine/etc., then they should just list it for you on the COA so you know what to restore it to, & not play games with owners! dry.gif

Another shortcoming is that they won't list otherwise optional equipment on a COA for those models & MYs which had extra goodies included in their base price, such as Carrera RS, 73 914-2.0 marketed as "914 S", etc.

For example in the case of the 73 MY 914-2.0's which came "loaded" - they should have their Porsche (VW-Porsche) model number of 914 with what was included:

Model #: 473614 (World) Appearance/Performance 2.0L

Model #: 473644 (North America - non-CA) Appearance/Performance 2.0L

Model #: 473664 (California-only) Appearance/Performance 2.0L

These are from Jeff Bowlsby's website:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

Tom_T
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Apr 29 2011, 06:37 AM) *

The best you can ascertain is to match the model year with the engine number. (i.e. a 1.8 shouldn't be in a 1970) I have COA's for all my Porsches and the VIN/engine numbers match.

Don

As in the ending sentence above - it's actually matching the VIN to the engine case number (&/or equivalent auto ID number in non-USA cars), with the model year implicit from the VIN's 3rd digit ( 0 = 1970, 1 - 1971, etc. for 47_ ..... ).

Just to clarify, cuz I had to scratch my head on what Don was saying ..... but then I'm old & getting senile! biggrin.gif
sixerdon
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 29 2011, 12:35 PM) *

Looking closely at the above COA's raises a few questions on the accuracy of a few of them. Since they are all 1974's, I wrote them down and put them in chronological order by the last 5 digits of the VIN. Here's what I see........
Transmission numbers;
#HA 11024
#HA 02204
#HA 06064
Why the inconsistency? These are all typ 914/12 tranny's. One has 6 digits and 3 start with HA! Compare the lowest one to the highest one. Where did #95550 come from?
Engine numbers;
#GA 013113
#EC 036921
Using "The Porsche Family Tree" from PCA as my source, the first 5 are 2.0's and the last a 1.8. Numbers 082238 & 473544 don't even register. The first 3 & 5th should start with GA as per the 4th. The last falls within the '74 1.8 range.

An additional note, I find it odd that the second one down has the engine & transmission number but no "birth date", yet three of them have the exact day/mo/yr and not just the usual mo/yr! Fascinating!!

Speaking for myself, that's why I question the validity of every COA, including my own. If there is a logical explanation, I'd like to hear it. Hope this helps others to question theirs.

Don
P.S. Judges take note.......

carr914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 29 2011, 04:35 PM) *

I have seen many inaccuracies, but maybe they only happen to guys in Tampa confused24.gif , as smg had problems as well.

My 74 Euro Carrera RS was listed as a 911, even though the VIN # was very easy to figure out as a Carrera.

My 914-6 ( 673) had the wrong Engine # listed by about 25 units ( I have the Original)

One of the 914-6s ( #1724) had the wrong Interior Code

I think that most of the problems are caused by inattention or lack of familarity of our cars. smg's problem was the Options Codes were being interpreted by 944 info.

Back in the day when CoA's 1st came out, they would list which Import Center they came through, which Dealer sold the car and all the correct info. This info still has to be around somewhere.

T.C.
enderw88
Is there a way to get the information in a COA if you are not the current owner?
bembry
My COA has the correct engine number for the VIN as well as paint code and interior color, but no trans number and no mention of my tan corduroy seat inserts. I read everything on the phone when ordering...wonder if they would have put whatever engine number I read. I think they don't really put a lot of effort forth.
racerbvd
Or if you are lucky enough for find a car with one of these biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
[quote]

My COA has the correct engine number for the VIN as well as paint code and interior color, but no trans number and no mention of my tan corduroy seat inserts
[quote/]
Mine also didn't have the tranny # either, but the production # indicate that it is correct.
Click to view attachment
Question, does anyone know what options the dealer offered on the tranny??? While mine is appart, I want to change it up, but only with what you could order..
Gustl
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 18 2011, 05:43 PM) *

... the VIN is not correct blink.gif
Gustl

Question, does anyone know what options the dealer offered on the tranny??? While mine is appart, I want to change it up, but only with what you could order..

LSD was an option

another option were different gear setups for hill climbing, airport racing, track racing and the Nürburgring

SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 18 2011, 02:00 PM) *
... the VIN is not correct blink.gif

agree.gif

That VIN is missing a digit! blink.gif
rgalla9146
A couple of those trans numbers indicate LSD ( the HA prefix) but it is not listed as an option on those cars ???
I don't have a COA for my 6 (1095) but I have a letter from the factory from 1983.
I wrote and asked for info.
They got the engine number right.
The color right
no trans number
It was a long time before they responded.
I've since tried to correspond about other cars. No one home.
OmaPossu
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 19 2011, 12:03 AM) *

LSD was an option

another option were different gear setups for hill climbing, airport racing, track racing and the Nürburgring

Do you know what code is for "Nürburgring gear setup"? Sounds interesting!!
JeffBowlsby
That would be M-989.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/OpEq.htm

wink.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 27 2011, 05:06 PM) *

A couple of those trans numbers indicate LSD ( the HA prefix) ...

Is this a true statement .... that HA indicates limited slip differential?
JeffBowlsby
No...HB is the LSD transaxle.

914werke
So according to your chart (if Im reading correctly) no car came factory equipped with a LSD after 1972?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 13 2011, 08:01 PM) *

So according to your chart (if Im reading correctly) no car came factory equipped with a LSD after 1972?

Doh ! Mr. Bowlsby is correct.
I replied before checking.
HB is LSD
I just checked in my garage.
I have two, neither is out of a 6
One is a rear shifter and one is a side shifter.
What did the LSD cost as an option ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.